Re: [Star Trek Books] Star Charts question.

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 11, 2002
      Mike, that's a question best left to the experts like
      KRAD,Ms. ferengi,Etc. Me, I thought I'd just wave a
      hand & say Howdy from Maine. Don H.
      --- Michael Edward Johnson <EDDIEJOHN74@...>
      wrote:
      > I have read Star Charts and its is great.However
      > some included
      > information has once again raised a question in my
      > mind.There is a
      > chart that lists the founding memebers of the
      > Federation as
      > Earth ,Vulcan,Andoria,Tellar and Alpha Centauri.Okay
      > what does
      > the "canon" say about this?Is Alpha Centauri a human
      > colony,populated
      > by descendents of humans tranplanted from Earth(ie
      > Preservers),or a
      > native non-Human species?Any and all ideas
      > appreciated.

      http://faith.yahoo.com
    • April Payne
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 11, 2002
        Although I am unaware of anything canon regarding said founding planets, this is consistent at least with the Starfleet Academy Training Command by David John Schmidt.
        April

        Michael Edward Johnson <EDDIEJOHN74@...> wrote:I have read Star Charts and its is great.However some included
        information has once again raised a question in my mind.There is a
        chart that lists the founding memebers of the Federation as
        Earth ,Vulcan,Andoria,Tellar and Alpha Centauri.Okay what does
        the "canon" say about this?Is Alpha Centauri a human colony,populated
        by descendents of humans tranplanted from Earth(ie Preservers),or a
        native non-Human species?Any and all ideas appreciated.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Staci Hapdock
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 11, 2002
          Though it's not canon, the way Alpha Centauri seems to have been handled in the older books is that there was a native species, but one which which welcomed human colonists. Some of the newer books seem to be suggesting a straigt human colony. Perhaps Alpha Cent had achieved independance by the time the Federation was formed.
          April Payne <april_anastasia@...> wrote:
          Although I am unaware of anything canon regarding said founding planets, this is consistent at least with the Starfleet Academy Training Command by David John Schmidt.
          April

          Michael Edward Johnson <EDDIEJOHN74@...> wrote:I have read Star Charts and its is great.However some included
          information has once again raised a question in my mind.There is a
          chart that lists the founding memebers of the Federation as
          Earth ,Vulcan,Andoria,Tellar and Alpha Centauri.Okay what does
          the "canon" say about this?Is Alpha Centauri a human colony,populated
          by descendents of humans tranplanted from Earth(ie Preservers),or a
          native non-Human species?Any and all ideas appreciated.

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
          var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1]="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=233351.2428261.3848243.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=1705983607:HM/A=1234045/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/grp/300_mapF/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl";var lrec_flashfile="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/expert_city/090302_lrec_map.swf";var lrec_altURL="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=233351.2428261.3848243.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=1705983607:HM/A=1234045/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/grp/300_mapF/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl";var lrec_altimg="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/expert_city/090302_lrec_map.gif";var lrec_width=300;var lrec_height=250;

        • mxpalmieri
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 11, 2002
            There's no on-screen mention of which planets comprise the founders
            of the Federation. Same goes for the exact nature of the civilization
            on Alpha Centauri. (Whether or not it was colony wouldn't necessarily
            be relevant to the issue, anyway. The United States is a founding
            member of the U.N., and it had colonial origins. The same can be said
            of every nation-state on Earth.)

            Marco

            --- In startrekbooks@y..., "Michael Edward Johnson"
            <EDDIEJOHN74@H...> wrote:
            > I have read Star Charts and its is great.However some included
            > information has once again raised a question in my mind.There is a
            > chart that lists the founding memebers of the Federation as
            > Earth ,Vulcan,Andoria,Tellar and Alpha Centauri.Okay what does
            > the "canon" say about this?Is Alpha Centauri a human
            colony,populated
            > by descendents of humans tranplanted from Earth(ie Preservers),or a
            > native non-Human species?Any and all ideas appreciated.
          • Michael Edward Johnson
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 11, 2002
              My interest in this mainly has to do with my interest in Star Trek
              history in the 20th -22nd centuries.Personally I think if its ever
              shown on screen- Alpha Centauri is going to be established as human
              colony.The Preserver transplanted human descendents is interesting
              but I would be surprised to see that path taken.As to a native non-
              Human species,even if the Alpha Centaurians were not warp capable
              wouldn't Earth have at the very least received communication signals
              from them by the time of first contact with Vulcan?

              --- In startrekbooks@y..., mxpalmieri <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > There's no on-screen mention of which planets comprise the founders
              > of the Federation. Same goes for the exact nature of the
              civilization
              > on Alpha Centauri. (Whether or not it was colony wouldn't
              necessarily
              > be relevant to the issue, anyway. The United States is a founding
              > member of the U.N., and it had colonial origins. The same can be
              said
              > of every nation-state on Earth.)
              >
              > Marco
              >
              > --- In startrekbooks@y..., "Michael Edward Johnson"
              > <EDDIEJOHN74@H...> wrote:
              > > I have read Star Charts and its is great.However some included
              > > information has once again raised a question in my mind.There is
              > > chart that lists the founding memebers of the Federation as
              > > Earth ,Vulcan,Andoria,Tellar and Alpha Centauri.Okay what does
              > > the "canon" say about this?Is Alpha Centauri a human
              > colony,populated
              > > by descendents of humans tranplanted from Earth(ie Preservers),or
              > > native non-Human species?Any and all ideas appreciated.
            • Allyn Gibson
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 11, 2002
                On Friday, October 11, 2002 Michael Edward Johnson wrote:

                > Personally I think if it's ever shown on screen Alpha Centauri
                > is going to be established as human colony.

                Probably. If I remember MEMORY PRIME correctly, the native Centauran
                civilization orbited AlphaCent A. The novels that had a human colony
                (TIME FOR YESTERDAY, FEDERATION) placed that colony in orbit of
                AlphaCent B. (I don't recall where CRISIS ON CENTAURUS puts the
                colony. Anyone remember?) But even if Enterprise shows the colony
                orbiting one star, unless the series then said that the other star had
                no planets worth living on there's still room enough to have a native
                civilization.

                Where canon falls silent fans can speculate to their hearts content.
                :)

                > The Preserver transplanted human descendents is interesting
                > but I would be surprised to see that path taken.

                Unless there was a story to be told from that, I don't imagine that
                Enterprise will explore the issue.

                > As to a native non-Human species, even if the Alpha
                > Centaurians were not warp capable wouldn't Earth have
                > at the very least received communication signals
                > from them by the time of first contact with Vulcan?

                MEMORY PRIME covers this. The Centaurans were paranoid and hardened
                their power plants and buried power cables to prevent radiation
                leakage. (See pages 160-1; it's a biased Klingon view of Centauran
                history, but the story's there if you're interested.)

                Allyn http://www.allyngibson.net
                AIM: mknzycalhn ICQ: 4342396

                Over the years, "Star Trek" has become the Harlem Globetrotters of television and film: It exists solely as a brand name with none of the original members. Watching "Star Trek" these days is like showing up to see Meadowlark Lemon and instead getting a bunch of NBA tryout-camp washouts.
                -- Frank Ahrens, "Star Trek Voyager Grimly Goes"
                The Washington Post, May 23, 2001
              • Michael Edward Johnson
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 11, 2002
                  Thanks for the ideas Allen.How recent is Memory Prime-still in print?
                  Also I have to say I stongly disagree with the Frank Ahrens
                  quote.Each sucessive Star Trek series has improved on Star Trek and
                  made the Star Trek universe probably one of if not the most fully
                  realized fiction in TV ,movies and books :)

                  Michael E Johnson

                  http://www.allyngibson.net
                  > AIM: mknzycalhn ICQ:
                  4342396

                  > Over the years, "Star Trek" has become the Harlem Globetrotters of
                  television and film: It exists solely as a brand name with none of
                  the original members. Watching "Star Trek" these days is like
                  showing up to see Meadowlark Lemon and instead getting a bunch of NBA
                  tryout-camp washouts.
                  > -- Frank Ahrens, "Star Trek Voyager Grimly Goes"
                  > The Washington Post, May 23, 2001
                • Allyn Gibson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 11, 2002
                    > How recent is Memory Prime-still in print?

                    MEMORY PRIME was published in October 1988. I don't think it's in
                    print any longer, but you may want to check the online booksellers,
                    and it should be plentiful at a local used book dealer.

                    > Also I have to say I stongly disagree with the Frank Ahrens
                    > quote. Each sucessive Star Trek series has improved on Star Trek
                    > and made the Star Trek universe probably one of if not the most
                    > fully realized fiction in TV ,movies and books :)

                    Ah, the tagline quote. That was the first line from Ahrens' review of
                    "Endgame." Suffice to say, he didn't like the episode.

                    Allyn http://www.allyngibson.net
                    AIM: mknzycalhn ICQ: 4342396

                    In the banquet of literature PAPERWEIGHT aspires to be thought of as nothing more than a kind of literary guacomole into which the tired and hungry reader may from time to time wish to dip the tortilla chip of his or her curiosity. I will not be held responsible for the mental indigestion that is sure to be provoked by any attempt to bolt the thing whole.
                    -- Stephen Fry, "Paperweight"