Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

TOS-"Faces of Fire"

Expand Messages
  • msferengi
    I needed something to read and all the recent talk about Michael Jan Friedman encouraged me to dig out an older title of his. I was in a Klingon mood so I
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2002
      I needed something to read and all the recent talk about Michael Jan
      Friedman encouraged me to dig out an older title of his. I was in a
      Klingon mood so I reread "Faces of Fire". I don't think I've read
      this one again since the first time when it was published.

      If you've never read this TOS book then think about doing so. The
      story is great. Klingon political intrigue, an insufferable
      diplomate driving everyone crazy, a Federation member world with a
      unique problem, Spock leading a small band of children to rescue a
      research colony and Kirk finds out for the first time that he has a
      son, David Marcus. Interested yet :) ?

      Who else remembers this book and what did you think of it? I found
      myself totally absorbed in it. I just love it when I dig out an
      older title and it's as if I'm reading it for the first time.

      Jackie
    • Staci Hapdock
      Definitely one of my comfort books . One of the ones I reread when I just want an old friend. To be honest, the story has never struck me as anything that
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2002
        Definitely one of my 'comfort books'. One of the ones I reread when I just want an old friend. To be honest, the story has never struck me as anything that spectacular; a good story but not of the Sarek/Imzadi caliber. What I love is that it's a great story for showcasing the characters, and MJF manages to really bring to life all the things we love about 'em.
        Spaci
        msferengi <msferengi@...> wrote: I needed something to read and all the recent talk about Michael Jan
        Friedman encouraged me to dig out an older title of his. I was in a
        Klingon mood so I reread "Faces of Fire". I don't think I've read
        this one again since the first time when it was published.

        If you've never read this TOS book then think about doing so. The
        story is great. Klingon political intrigue, an insufferable
        diplomate driving everyone crazy, a Federation member world with a
        unique problem, Spock leading a small band of children to rescue a
        research colony and Kirk finds out for the first time that he has a
        son, David Marcus. Interested yet :) ?

        Who else remembers this book and what did you think of it? I found
        myself totally absorbed in it. I just love it when I dig out an
        older title and it's as if I'm reading it for the first time.

        Jackie


        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.



        ---------------------------------
        Post your ad for free now! Yahoo! Canada Personals


        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • elsietcow
        ... when I just want an old friend. To be honest, the story has never struck me as anything that spectacular; a good story but not of the Sarek/Imzadi
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2002
          --- In startrekbooks@y..., Staci Hapdock <spaci1701@y...> wrote:
          >
          > Definitely one of my 'comfort books'. One of the ones I reread
          when I just want an old friend. To be honest, the story has never
          struck me as anything that spectacular; a good story but not of the
          Sarek/Imzadi caliber.

          Speaking of Imzadi, I just read Imzadi II and was a little
          disappointed. I guess I never got over Jadzia dying, and when the
          book started out with Worf grieving, I went into an "I miss DS9" haze
          and it was hard to get into the rest of the book. I also thought the
          characterization of Worf was off- he was using certain phrases and
          speaking in ways that had me thinking "Worf would never say that..."

          Although I will say I liked the ending... ;)

          I also just read the Millennium DS9 Trilogy, which was great but all
          the time-travel babble went right over my head. In fact, I found
          myself skipping those parts so I could find out what happened next in
          the story (that was partly because the books were due at the library,
          though). Otherwise, I really enjoyed it.

          Erika :)
        • Jackie Bundy
          ... I also thought the characterization of Worf was off- he was using certain phrases and speaking in ways that had me thinking Worf would never say that...
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2002
            --- elsietcow <elsietcow@...> wrote:
            > --- In startrekbooks@y..., Staci Hapdock

            "I also thought the characterization of Worf was off-
            he was using certain phrases and speaking in ways that
            had me thinking "Worf would never say that..." "

            I found myself feeling the same way about Imzadi II.
            Especially the way he let Mrs. Troi treat him. Even
            for love I can't picture Worf taking that.

            Jackie


            __________________________________________________
            Do You Yahoo!?
            Yahoo! Health - Feel better, live better
            http://health.yahoo.com
          • mhickers
            ... I think I m one of the few Trek readers who really enjoyed Imzadi II. It wasn t quite on par with Imzadi, but it did a superb job of bridging the gap
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2002
              --- In startrekbooks@y..., Jackie Bundy <msferengi@y...> wrote:
              >
              > --- elsietcow <elsietcow@y...> wrote:
              > > --- In startrekbooks@y..., Staci Hapdock
              >
              > "I also thought the characterization of Worf was off-
              > he was using certain phrases and speaking in ways that
              > had me thinking "Worf would never say that..." "
              >
              > I found myself feeling the same way about Imzadi II.
              > Especially the way he let Mrs. Troi treat him. Even
              > for love I can't picture Worf taking that.

              I think I'm one of the few Trek readers who really enjoyed Imzadi
              II. It wasn't quite on par with Imzadi, but it did a superb job of
              bridging the gap between Worf's feelings for Troi in TNG and his
              relationship with Jaxdia in DS9.

              As for Worf's allowing Luxwana to treat him the way she did, I can
              say as a person who recently got engaged, you will sometimes bite
              your tongue for the good of your future bride's (and you own) sanity
              and feelings. Worf loved Troi enough that he was willing to take a
              few barbs from Mrs. Troi and to roll with the punches--because he
              honestly wanted to marry Troi and make her happy. And despite the
              long-standing feud-like nature of the relationship of Troi and her
              mom, Worf may have not wanted to add to that. So he bit back his
              instinct to fight back and did what he may have felt was the more
              honorable thing--to try and keep the family unified and not fighting
              amongst themselves.

              But that's just one guys opinion...
            • elsietcow
              ... Well, that s true. I always wondered, whatever happened to Troi?... when Worf came to DS9.
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 2002
                --- In startrekbooks@y..., mhickers <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > I think I'm one of the few Trek readers who really enjoyed Imzadi
                > II. It wasn't quite on par with Imzadi, but it did a superb job of
                > bridging the gap between Worf's feelings for Troi in TNG and his
                > relationship with Jaxdia in DS9.
                >

                Well, that's true. I always wondered, "whatever happened to Troi?..."
                when Worf came to DS9.
              • Staci Hapdock
                I too really enjoyed Imzadi II. I agree that it s not quite at the level of Imzadi, but it s fun, and it showcases some sides of Worf s personality that we
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 2, 2002
                  I too really enjoyed Imzadi II. I agree that it's not quite at the level of Imzadi, but it's fun, and it showcases some sides of Worf's personality that we only ever got to see hints of. We'd already seen that Worf could be diplomatic if he absolutely had to be, so it makes sense that he'd use diplomacy in dealing with Lwaxana. And we got to see some of the 'sensitive' side that Worf so obviously had, but so rarely showed.
                  But, I would have loved the book if only for one seen only. The one where Worf was introducing Deanna to his parents. 'You know, your mother and I met the same way.....' I just about hurt myself laughing at that.
                  Spaci
                  mhickers <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: --- In startrekbooks@y..., Jackie Bundy <msferengi@y...> wrote:
                  >
                  > --- elsietcow <elsietcow@y...> wrote:
                  > > --- In startrekbooks@y..., Staci Hapdock
                  >
                  > "I also thought the characterization of Worf was off-
                  > he was using certain phrases and speaking in ways that
                  > had me thinking "Worf would never say that..." "
                  >
                  > I found myself feeling the same way about Imzadi II.
                  > Especially the way he let Mrs. Troi treat him. Even
                  > for love I can't picture Worf taking that.

                  I think I'm one of the few Trek readers who really enjoyed Imzadi
                  II. It wasn't quite on par with Imzadi, but it did a superb job of
                  bridging the gap between Worf's feelings for Troi in TNG and his
                  relationship with Jaxdia in DS9.

                  As for Worf's allowing Luxwana to treat him the way she did, I can
                  say as a person who recently got engaged, you will sometimes bite
                  your tongue for the good of your future bride's (and you own) sanity
                  and feelings. Worf loved Troi enough that he was willing to take a
                  few barbs from Mrs. Troi and to roll with the punches--because he
                  honestly wanted to marry Troi and make her happy. And despite the
                  long-standing feud-like nature of the relationship of Troi and her
                  mom, Worf may have not wanted to add to that. So he bit back his
                  instinct to fight back and did what he may have felt was the more
                  honorable thing--to try and keep the family unified and not fighting
                  amongst themselves.

                  But that's just one guys opinion...


                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.



                  ---------------------------------
                  Post your ad for free now! Yahoo! Canada Personals


                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.