Re: [Star Trek Books] One PISSED OFF fan!!!

  • a_geek
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 5, 2002
      It affects the MSR versions because the publishers require DMR5
      protection.
      E-friendly publishers do not require DMR5, such as Baen Books. As a
      result,
      I've purchased LOTS of baen e-books, but few from other publishers.

      This isn't a "problem" with MSR; it's doing what it's supposed to do.

      The problem is with the publisher who chooses to treat it's customer
      and fan
      as a potential pirate, and thus requires the highest level possible
      of copy
      protection.

      --- In startrekbooks@y..., dwardkc@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 7/5/2002 4:24:37 AM Central Standard Time,
      > no_reply@y... writes:
      >

      > > Baen doesn't treat their customers like this! Why does Pocket
      > > Books?!?!
      > >

      > This is something that only affects MS versions of e-Books, from
      what I've
      > been able to learn. The Adobe and PeanutPress.com (for
      PalmPilots/etc) don't

      HREF="http://www.daytonward.com">http://www.daytonward.com</A>

    • dwardkc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5, 2002
        <<The problem is with the publisher who chooses to treat it's customer
        and fan as a potential pirate, and thus requires the highest level possible
        of copy protection.>>

        God forbid a publisher (or a writer, for that matter) take steps to protect
        what belongs to them.

        The difference between Baen Books and the Trek books (and any other media
        tie-in, for that matter), is that at Baen, all they have to do to secure
        permission to distribute various works in e-Format is set up an agreement
        with the author. In the case of the media tie-ins, that persmission doesn't
        come from the author but from the studio who owns the property (in this case,
        Paramount/Viacom).

        What this boils down to is that MS purchase/activation process is a pain in
        the butt, just like anything else having to do with a MS product. Adobe and
        the format for the PalmPilots do not have this problem, even though their
        versions of the same titles are also encrypted. I've downloaded several
        books in either format and MS is by far the one that's the most complicated.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5, 2002
          --- In startrekbooks@y..., dwardkc@a... wrote:
          > <<The problem is with the publisher who chooses to treat it's
          customer
          > and fan as a potential pirate, and thus requires the highest level
          possible
          > of copy protection.>>
          >
          > God forbid a publisher (or a writer, for that matter) take steps
          to protect
          > what belongs to them.
          God forbid a customer might want a product he can actually read. God
          forbid a customer might want to be able to upgrade his system and
          still read the books s/he has purchased. God forbid s/he might want
          to take an e-book with hir and pick up reading on another computer
          away from home. Where is the protection for the consumer?

          > The difference between Baen Books and the Trek books (and any
          other media
          > tie-in, for that matter), is that at Baen, all they have to do to
          secure
          > permission to distribute various works in e-Format is set up an
          agreement
          > with the author. In the case of the media tie-ins, that
          persmission doesn't
          > come from the author but from the studio who owns the property (in
          this case,
          > Paramount/Viacom).
          >
          > What this boils down to is that MS purchase/activation process is
          a pain in
          > the butt, just like anything else having to do with a MS product.
          Adobe and
          > the format for the PalmPilots do not have this problem, even
          though their
          > versions of the same titles are also encrypted. I've downloaded
          several
          > books in either format and MS is by far the one that's the most
          complicated.

          But there's no Adobe e-book reader for the PPC, and the Adobe
          Acrobat for PPC won't read Adobe E-book format. And the Peanut Press
          reader is nowhere near as user-friendly as the MSR.

        • kemara@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2002
            I know you're not talking about Palm format, but for Trek books I love
            www.peanutpress.com. They have just about all of them, and you can redownload
            your purchased books anytime you need to. Best of luck with MS. I tried
            downloading a copy of TNG: Survivors from Amazon.com, and finally gave up
            when they wanted me to buy another copy after the first did not download
            correctly. They said it was my fault and would not help.

            Kemara
          • littlemouse_2k
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 9, 2002
              i have also got a major problem with MSR! because of a bug in my
              computer, every time i downloaded a book, i also had to re-load MSR
              to be able to read it. this wasnt such a big problem. however i have
              bought a new computer to solve the bug problem and now i can't re-
              load all the books i have bought and not yet read.
              i have go through every support manual microsoft.com has to offer and
              are all usless!!!
              i am not a happy person!

              MSR was the only reader that downloaded onto my pc quickley.after a
              number of problems with other sites i stayed with MSR. a decision i
              REGRET!

              I have around £20.00 to pay when my credit card bill arrives for
              books i can't read!

              so i simpathise with the person who wrote the original post regarding
              this matter.