Re: Has any one read the book version of broken bow?

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2002
      Thanks for the info. do you know if its going to be out in
      paperback . After checking on the site. I have decided that if I can
      Its sounds like a good read. I enjoy books written about tv
      episodes.

      --- In startrekbooks@y..., youngtrek <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > --- In startrekbooks@y..., "sian.jackson" <voyager.books@n...>
      wrote:
      > > Has any one read the book version of broken bow?
      > >
      > > Is it worth a read?
      > >
      > > can anyone tell me about it
      > >
      > > Sian
      >
      > If you'd like, you could go to my Star Trek Chronological Reading
      > Project site
      > (http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Zone/8939/startrekchronomain.html)
      > and take a look at what I wrote about when I read it not too long
      ago
      > (my entry notes were written on March 11, 2002, which would have
      been
      > just after I read it).
      >
      > (To get to the "Broken Bow" entry you can either scroll down on the
      > left hand menu to 2151 and "Broken Bow" (click link, which will
      bring
      > it up on the right), or just go a "find" search for "Broken
      Bow".) :)

      > Don't know if how much it will help you decide. The key thing to
      me
      > is how much are you having to spend for it? It's a hardback so if
      > you are paying full price, you might or might not feel you are
      > getting your money's worth (I'm a completist, so my choice was
      pretty
      > much already made when it shipped). It might be a better book to
      > borrow or get at a reduced price if possible.
      >
      > David Young
    • msferengi
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2002
        --- In startrekbooks@y..., "voyagerbooks" <voyager.books@n...> wrote:
        > Thanks for the info. do you know if its going to be out in
        > paperback .

        John Ordover said there were no plans to release "Broken Bow" as a
        paperback at the present time. It's not on next years schedule yet
        either. But watch Amazon and other book stores for used or
        discounted copies. I know my local Barnes & Noble puts hardbacks on
        the discount table about 8 or 9 months after their initial release
        and they are only about $5. (That's how I get my hardcovers!)

        Myself I passed on "Broken Bow" as the story was written from the
        first draft script so Diane Carey didn't really have anything to go
        on as far as the characterizations. Also she said in an interview
        that she wrote it in a rush, 3 days I believe, and she wasn't really
        happy with how it came out. But on the other hand, novelizations
        expand on the script so often they are excellent.

        Jackie
      • youngtrek
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2002
          --- In startrekbooks@y..., "voyagerbooks" <voyager.books@n...> wrote:
          > Thanks for the info. do you know if its going to be out in
          > paperback . After checking on the site. I have decided that if I
          can
          > Its sounds like a good read. I enjoy books written about tv
          > episodes.

          Glad you found it useful. Don't forget that it's just what I thought
          of it. You might read it and not enjoy it. Don't want you to think
          that I "talked you into it". ;)

          And as Msferengi has already said, there doesn't seem to be any plans
          on doing BROKEN BOW as a paperback. This goes back to a larger
          decision a few years back to do novelizations in hardback only. John
          Ordover has said that by the time the mass market paperback hits the
          shelf months later, most of the interest in a novelization of a movie
          or a big TV episode has apparently worn off and sales aren't good
          enough to warrant one. Too bad. As a result though, the
          novelizations are the only ones I buy in hardback any more. (I buy
          so many books that it just doesn't make sense for me personally to
          pay somewhere between three to four times as much for a hardback when
          I can just wait for the paperback version to ship, especially since I
          rarely read them until well after I get them.)

          David Young
        • gary_i_mcadam
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2002
[...]

            If that's the case then David, will this also apply to the
            novelization of 'Nemesis'?

            Gary

            Trek Fiction Forum Moderator http:/www.stardatenow.com
          • youngtrek
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2002
              --- In startrekbooks@y..., "gary_i_mcadam" <gary_i_mcadam@y...> wrote:
              > If that's the case then David, will this also apply to the
              > novelization of 'Nemesis'?
              >
              > Gary
              >
              > Trek Fiction Forum Moderator http:/www.stardatenow.com

              While I do not recall if John Ordover has said so specifically in
              regards to NEMESIS, he has spoken a few times on the movie
              novelizations going the hardback routine. The last one to be
              rereleased in paperback was GENERATIONS. FIRST CONTACT and
              INSURRECTION were only hardbacks, and I'd presume that NEMESIS will
              be as well. (Since this started with the BROKEN BOW novelization, I
              should mention that coming the fall will be a hardback novelizing
              both parts of "Shockwave".)

              David Young