Spreading the Good News about DS9's Tenth Anniversary

  • od0_ital
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 2, 2002
      This is the original message posted at the DS9 Avatar eGroup by
      Pocket Books DS9 Relaunch editor Marco Palmieri -

      "I'm pleased to announce my long-hidden plans to celebrate the
      tenth anniversary of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine in January 2003
      with three books:

      "1. The mass-market edition of THE LIVES OF DAX (originally
      published as a trade paperback in 1999), which will be reprinted
      under the new DS9 logo, identifying it as part of the relaunch.

      "2. RISING SON by S.D. Perry. This mass-market book is "The
      Jake Novel," a story that runs parallel to everything that's occured
      in the DS9 relaunch since Avatar, and explains exactly what
      happened to him.

      "3. UNITY by S.D. Perry. This is the celebratory DS9 tenth
      anniversary hardcover novel. This is a landmark story featuring a
      few things a lot of people have been waiting for, plus some other
      things they may not be expecting. :)

      "In addition, there'll be a celebratory all-DS9 anthology published
      later in the year, featuring stories set throughout the run of the TV
      series, by a variety of new and familiar authors. More information
      on this project to follow.

      Marco"

      Pretty cool, huh? :-)

      Tom
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/deepspacenineavatar
    • Dierna Lincoln
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 2, 2002
        OOH!!! A Jake story!!! Must get! Must get!! *JUAD*...
        Is there gonna be a 10th annaversary DS9 novel that
        lists every ep like what was done with TNG??? But
        oooh! A Jake story would be a neat edition to my book
        collection! *L*

        Dierna Dex Soul P. Lincoln
        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
      • ELIZABETH ROWE
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 3, 2002
          Took ten years for another DS9 Hardcover book to come out. Better be better than Warped.
          od0_ital <tsharp6@...> wrote: This is the original message posted at the DS9 Avatar eGroup by
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • od0_ital
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 3, 2002
            Can't be much worse. ;-)

            Although I don't think Warped is the worst thing ever slapped with a
            twenty dollar price tag (after all, we still have the Shatnerverse),
            I'm sure that there's a reason why Rising Son is a paperback and
            Unity is a hardcover. Bigger things are gonna happen un Unity
            crucial to the DS9 Relaunch, so folks like me will fork over their
            hard-earned money. :-D

            Tom
            http://www.dsnine-relaunch.cjb.net/

            --- In startrekbooks@y..., ELIZABETH ROWE <juliet_316_2000@y...>
            wrote:

            > Took ten years for another DS9 Hardcover book to come out. Better
            be better than Warped.
          • Allyn Gibson
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 3, 2002
              On Trewsday, 14 Forelithe (Shire Reckoning), Elizabeth Rowe wrote:

              > Took ten years for another DS9 Hardcover book to come out.
              > Better be better than Warped.

              The impression I've gotten over the years is that most of the Trek
              novel readership -hates- K.W. Jeter's WARPED. I've always been more
              than a little mystified by that reaction; I found WARPED to be an
              engaging and unusual novel that had a good deal more depth than other
              Trek hardcovers of the period.

              WARPED is not an easy novel to read. Few other Trek novels play as
              convincingly with the idea of a reality-clasm. In many respects,
              WARPED is a Trek novel as Philip K. Dick might have written it, as it
              touches on the traditional phildickian tropes: (1) what does it mean
              to be human, (2) how do people respond when the world they know
              begins to disintegrate, and (3) how do people respond when confronted
              with the reality of the nearly divine? K.W. Jeter was a friend of
              Dick's during the last years of Dick's life, and as a consequence, I
              think that some of Philip K. Dick's outlook on life seeped into
              WARPED.

              I enjoyed WARPED, but I know that a good many people didn't. I think
              it's unfair, though, to blame the subsequient lack of DS9 hardcovers on
              WARPED.

              Allyn http://www.chesco.com/~mknzycalhn
              AIM: mknzycalhn ICQ: 4342396

              "If I go into politics, so what? All politics is the same. It doesn't matter what they say they stand for. They're all playing with the same rules, aren't they? It's like... it's like back when we lived in the jungle, and the biggest monkey got to make all the laws, so he made sure he was on top and everyone else was underneath. We haven't changed. We haven't changed the rules since then. All the leaders, all the prime ministers, they're just big monkeys in suits. We need new rules. That's the only way we can break out of this, isn't it? By making new rules."
              -- Lawrence Miles, "Doctor Who: Interference"
            • mcfari
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 3, 2002
                From my perspective, I viewed Warped as a very complex read. I don't
                consider it garbage per se but I do consider the characters to have
                been written somewhat against type. I think the overall word to
                describe the book is "Dark". I guess in that sense, it can be viewed
                in a similar vein as Philip K. Dick stories.

                In the final analysis, I think the story could have tweaked in a few
                places to make it somewhat more enjoyable. I've seen more palatable
                stories still maintain a dark undertone. Peter David's NF novels can
                get somewhat hardcore and Armin Shimmerman's and Davide
                George's 'The 34th Rule' had dark undertones and yet I enjoyed it
                far more than 'Warped'.

                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 3, 2002
                  I had to zone in on in your comment about the "Shatnerverse"

                  In general, the William Shatner books are saved by the collaboration
                  of the Reeves-Stevenses. Their detail knowledge of the Trek Universe
                  adds the coloring that these books would have really suffered
                  without.

                  Several of the Shatner books would have actually made great trek
                  films. "The Return' is a classic example or 'The Avenger'. The
                  introduction of the Christine MacDonald character and her crew added
                  a lot of interest.

                  The problem with the Shatnerverse is that it violates canon and
                  continuity in about 1 dozen ways. The chief issue in my mind is that
                  the return of Kirk would have been too incredible an event to keep
                  under wraps. Not to mention that the events surrounding the revival
                  of Kirk by the Borg and the Romulans is in direct odds with events
                  in Imzadi II (yes, the continuity police strike again).

                  However, I like the pacing of the novels and there is lots of cloak
                  and dagger stuff (perhaps even a bit too much. ;->). In any case,
                  viewd in the context of an alternate reality, they make an
                  interesting read.

                  --- In startrekbooks@y..., "od0_ital" <tsharp6@a...> wrote:
                  > Can't be much worse. ;-)
                  >
                  > Although I don't think Warped is the worst thing ever slapped with
                  > twenty dollar price tag (after all, we still have the
                  Shatnerverse),
                  > I'm sure that there's a reason why Rising Son is a paperback and
                  > Unity is a hardcover. Bigger things are gonna happen un Unity
                  > crucial to the DS9 Relaunch, so folks like me will fork over their
                  > hard-earned money. :-D
                  >
                  > Tom
                  > http://www.dsnine-relaunch.cjb.net/
                  >
                  > --- In startrekbooks@y..., ELIZABETH ROWE <juliet_316_2000@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Took ten years for another DS9 Hardcover book to come out.
                  Better
                  > be better than Warped.
                • Dierna Lincoln
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 3, 2002
                    U know...I have Warped...got it for $5.00 a couple
                    years ago yet I've never read it. *lol* Me thinks I
                    should read it before the 10th annaversary books come
                    out.

                    Dierna Dex Soul P. Lincoln
                    -----------

                  • bknab@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 3, 2002
                      After reading my first DS9 novel ("The Big Game"), and having enjoyed
                      most of the TOS and TNG hardbacks, I was expecting good things from
                      "Warped". Needless to say, I was very disappointed by it (and couldn't
                      even bring myself to finish it).

                      The characters were way off base, and the whole story was *way* too
                      metaphysical for me, and didn't have anything of a "Star Trek" feel to
                      it.

                      Who knows, maybe one of these days I'll give it another chance. But in
                      the meantime, I'm really looking forward to reading about Jake's
                      experiences in that "Rising Son" book.

                      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                    • ELIZABETH ROWE
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 7, 2002
                        Shatner books aren't the worst thing in the Trek universe. Shatner fans will buy anything Kirk and Kirk and Spock will forever remain the most popular things about Trek long after the other series have faded into obscruity (no offense to Shatner/Kirk fans). Warped however, I had high expectations for considering the quality of his other work. Thank goodness I only checked out of the library instead of actually buying the book. So while Warped isn't the worse thing to be slapped with a 20 dollar price tag, considering it's been 10 years since that book with a long drought of DS9 hardbacks inbetween, it's definitly IMO the worst thing in the Trek universe.
                        Juliet
                        od0_ital <tsharp6@...> wrote: Can't be much worse. ;-)

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 8, 2002
                          While there was never a another release of a hardcover novel for
                          D.S.9. after Warped, there were other books that could have easily
                          sold well in a hardcover edition:

                          a) Armin Shimmerman's and David Geroge's The 34th Rule
                          b) The Millenium Trilogy by the Reeves Stevenses.

                          I could not the books above down!

                          wrote:

                          > Shatner books aren't the worst thing in the Trek universe.
                          Shatner fans will buy anything Kirk and Kirk and Spock will forever
                          remain the most popular things about Trek long after the other
                          series have faded into obscruity (no offense to Shatner/Kirk fans).
                          Warped however, I had high expectations for considering the quality
                          of his other work. Thank goodness I only checked out of the library
                          instead of actually buying the book. So while Warped isn't the
                          worse thing to be slapped with a 20 dollar price tag, considering
                          it's been 10 years since that book with a long drought of DS9
                          hardbacks inbetween, it's definitly IMO the worst thing in the Trek
                          universe.

                        • davidrgeorgeiii
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 8, 2002
                            mcfari said: "While there was never a another release of a
                            hardcover novel for D.S.9. after Warped, there were other books
                            that could have easily sold well in a hardcover edition: a) Armin
                            Shimmerman's and David Geroge's The 34th Rule...."

                            Thanks for saying so, Ian, and I'm glad you enjoyed the novel!

                            Regards,
                            David
                          • bknab@juno.com
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 8, 2002
                              I want to also add, that I really enjoyed "The 34th Rule", and thought it
                              was one of the best DS9 novels I've read to date. I didn't really
                              realize that it was a collaboration, to be honest with you. Just OOC,
                              how much of the credit for the novel belongs to Mr. Shimmerman, or was it
                              a truly joint venture?

                              Brent

                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 8, 2002
                                What I liked about it was the level of character detail, it applied
                                to the Ferengi members of the DS9 universe. It showed that not all
                                Bajorans were exactly stable Prophet worshippers either.

                                I really like Trek novels that take a detailed look at stuff that
                                happens "off panel" or between episodes so to speak.

                                When I first heard about the book, I didn't think I'd enjoy it as
                                much as say 'Fallen Heroes' because the focus would be on Quark and
                                Rom. I mean "How exciting could sch a novel be?" I'm glad that I was
                                proved wrong.

                                I look forward to 'Twilight' in September!

                                --- In startrekbooks@y..., "davidrgeorgeiii" <davidrgeorgeiii@e...>
                                wrote:
                                > mcfari said: "While there was never a another release of a
                                > hardcover novel for D.S.9. after Warped, there were other books
                                > that could have easily sold well in a hardcover edition: a) Armin
                                > Shimmerman's and David Geroge's The 34th Rule...."
                                >
                                > Thanks for saying so, Ian, and I'm glad you enjoyed the novel!
                                >
                                > Regards,
                                > David
                              • davidrgeorgeiii
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jun 9, 2002
                                  Brent posted: "I want to also add, that I really enjoyed "The 34th
                                  Rule", and thought it was one of the best DS9 novels I've read to
                                  date. I didn't really realize that it was a collaboration, to be
                                  honest with you. Just OOC, how much of the credit for the novel
                                  belongs to Mr. Shimmerman, or was it a truly joint venture?"

                                  Well, Armin and I developed the story together, and we wrote the
                                  narrative outline together. We then decided that I would write the
                                  first draft of a chapter, then pass it over to Armin for his
                                  additions, deletions, and changes, and then we'd go back and
                                  forth until we both felt we were done. As it turned out, though,
                                  Armin really liked my writing, and so I ended up doing much
                                  more of it than he did. Armin is a writer himself, though,
                                  collaborating on The Merchant Prince with Michael Scott, and his
                                  followup to it, Outrageous Fortune, is due out soon. Armin is an
                                  extremely talented guy.

                                  Regards,
                                  David
                                • davidrgeorgeiii
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jun 9, 2002
                                    Ian wrote about The 34th Rule: "What I liked about it was the
                                    level of character detail, it applied to the Ferengi members of the
                                    DS9 universe. It showed that not all Bajorans were exactly stable
                                    Prophet worshippers either.

                                    I really like Trek novels that take a detailed look at stuff that
                                    happens "off panel" or between episodes so to speak.

                                    When I first heard about the book, I didn't think I'd enjoy it as
                                    much as say 'Fallen Heroes' because the focus would be on
                                    Quark and Rom. I mean "How exciting could sch a novel be?" I'm
                                    glad that I was proved wrong.

                                    I look forward to 'Twilight' in September!"

                                    Thanks for the kind words. My goal is always to write a good
                                    novel, and for me, that necessarily entails trying to have strong
                                    character development. I think the book may not have done as
                                    well as it might have, simply due to the presence of Quark and
                                    Rom on the cover, as you mentioned. But from what I've been
                                    told, many people that have read it have been pleasantly
                                    surprised to find a story that is not merely the analogue of a
                                    comic Ferengi episode.

                                    And I'm looking forward to Twilight's publication as well! I'm
                                    really excited to have been asked to be a part of the DS9
                                    re-launch.

                                    Regards,
                                    David
                                  • bknab@juno.com
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jun 9, 2002
                                      I was wondering about that. I had seen "The Merchant Prince" on the
                                      shelves, but was hesitant to pick it up, just because I'm always a bit
                                      wary about Trek actors who move on to writing novels (William Shatner,
                                      James Doohan, Jonathon Frakes, LeVar Burton, and Roxann Dawson come to
                                      mind). I guess the main reason I resist trying out their books is
                                      because the cover artists always portray the main character as looking
                                      like the actor. This makes me think that, the publishers feel that the
                                      book wouldn't sell without a strong link to the actor.

                                      Anyway, what I was wondering is, is "The Merchant Prince" worth looking
                                      into?

                                      Thanks,
                                      Brent

                                      P.S. Thanks for your answer...it's great to be able to interact with the
                                      authors who continue to create within the Trek universe. Keep up the
                                      great work!

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jun 9, 2002
                                        Yes! I highly recommend it! I found it a rather
                                        fascinating read...especially when I looked up more
                                        info on the person the story is based on. "The
                                        Merchant Prince" is partially a true story...the main
                                        character certainly DID live. However there's a slight
                                        alien twist to it. *L*

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jun 9, 2002
                                          Brent wrote: "I was wondering about that. I had seen 'The
                                          Merchant Prince' on the shelves, but was hesitant to pick it up,
                                          just because I'm always a bit wary about Trek actors who move
                                          on to writing novels (William Shatner, James Doohan, Jonathon
                                          Frakes, LeVar Burton, and Roxann Dawson come to mind). I
                                          guess the main reason I resist trying out their books is because
                                          the cover artists always portray the main character as looking
                                          like the actor. This makes me think that, the publishers feel that
                                          the book wouldn't sell without a strong link to the actor."

                                          Well, clearly the depiction of an actor as a novel's main character
                                          is a deliberate attempt to sell more books, which is, after all,
                                          what publishers want to do. I don't know if this will mean
                                          anything to you, but Armin specifically did not want the main
                                          character of The Merchant Prince to look like him. Plus, I know
                                          for a fact that Armin actually wrote the book (with Michael Scott).

                                          Brent also asked: "Anyway, what I was wondering is, is 'The
                                          Merchant Prince' worth looking into?"

                                          I think it is. I am not particularly enamored of that sort of story,
                                          and yet I enjoyed the book immensely. Armin really is quite an
                                          artist.

                                          Finally, Brent said: "Thanks for your answer...it's great to be able
                                          to interact with the authors who continue to create within the Trek
                                          universe. Keep up the great work!"

                                          My pleasure! And thanks for the kind words.

                                          Regards,
                                          David
                                        • Beetle Bailey (TX330)
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jun 9, 2002
                                            I am continuously surprised and amazed at how often my Star-Trek-reading friends in this group point to the cover art as important -- sometimes y'all don't even try the book 'cuz you don't like the cover art. "Where is the logic in that?" (a Vulcan might ask). How can cover art relate in ANY way to the quality of the prose within?

                                            Another thing I've found strange is how often someone doesn't like this author or that book-series... Sometimes you don't want to pick up a book because it 'features' a particular character or species or etc... My question is: Isn't it all Trek and therefore; isn't it all good?!! I WILL admit to not being VERY happy with a SMALL amount of books that I've read (and I'm usually still glad that I read them) but methinks that some are a bit too picky out there! LOL

                                            Concerning DS-9 Relaunch: Thank you, thank you, thank you all (writers) for your wonderful stories. I am VERY happy with what's come out so far (of course) and salute you for your efforts. :) DS-9 saddened me deeply by leaving and now I am happy again through the Relaunch books! (grin)

                                            = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
                                            Take care all and LL&P, BeetleTX330.
                                            mailto:BookMate@...
                                            http://TX330.com/Bookmate/

                                            <SNIP>.....I guess the main reason I resist trying out their books is
                                            because the cover artists always portray the main character as looking
                                            like the actor. This makes me think that, the publishers feel that the
                                            book wouldn't sell without a strong link to the actor......<SNIP>
                                            Thanks,
                                            Brent

                                          • mxpalmieri
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jun 10, 2002
                                              Thanks for the kind words. Glad to know you're enjoying the novels.

                                              Marco

                                              --- In startrekbooks@y..., "Beetle Bailey \(TX330\)" <spam@t...>
                                              wrote:
                                              > Concerning DS-9 Relaunch: Thank you, thank you, thank you all
                                              (writers) for your wonderful stories. I am VERY happy with what's
                                              come out so far (of course) and salute you for your efforts. :)
                                              DS-9 saddened me deeply by leaving and now I am happy again through
                                              the Relaunch books! (grin)

                                            • April Payne
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jun 10, 2002
                                                First things, first, I was always taught not to "judge a book by its cover". That being said, I find it amusing that some people insist that simply because it is labled trek it is automatically rendered good by virture of the name. Untrue. And as far as being picky, I prefer the word discerning. I read for enjoyment, to relax, and I don't like to waste what precious time I have for said activity on something that doesn't interest me. If I didn't like a particular character or the series just didn't grab me when I watched it on tv or in the movies, why should I spend time on it in book form? (And let's face it, we all have our favorite authors and we know the one's whose style we just don't enjoy,--- it isn't a crime to take a pass on their works. Particularly if you know you're mostly likely to end up disappointed, by way of past experience.)
                                                I consider myself a hard-core Star Trek fan, but that doesn't mean I have blind allegience. I'm not a soldier following orders, I think for myself. I have tried each and every additional series to give them a chance and none have really reached out and touched me like the original. I found nothing inspiring or special about them, although for awhile DS9 kept me entertained. (There are actually very few shows on the air these days that keep me running to the tv set each week.)
                                                I like what I like and what I don't, I don't. It is all about taste, personal preferences and who and what it was about the trek universe that so strongly captured one's imagination to begin with. I understand the need not to have the dream die, but to blithely suggest that merely because something has a certain tag on it, ie Trek, it is all good would be unfair. It is okay to trust in a product, but that product still must prove itself worthy of said trust with each venture.
                                                Yes, I am a demanding audience. But if we don't demand the best, all we will get is what is expedient and hense, in most cases, mediocre.
                                                Thanks for allowing me to opine.
                                                April
                                                "Beetle Bailey (TX330)" <spam@...> wrote: sometimes y'all don't even try the book 'cuz you don't like the cover art.
                                                Another thing I've found strange is how often someone doesn't like this author or that book-series... Sometimes you don't want to pick up a book because it 'features' a particular character or species or etc... My question is: Isn't it all Trek and therefore; isn't it all good?!! but methinks that some are a bit too picky out there! LOL

                                                = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jun 10, 2002

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jun 10, 2002
                                                    wrote:
                                                    > Brent wrote: "I was wondering about that. I had
                                                    > seen 'The
                                                    > Merchant Prince' on the shelves, but was hesitant to
                                                    > pick it up,
                                                    > just because I'm always a bit wary about Trek actors
                                                    > who move
                                                    > on to writing novels (William Shatner, James Doohan,
                                                    > Jonathon
                                                    > Frakes, LeVar Burton, and Roxann Dawson come to
                                                    > mind). I
                                                    > guess the main reason I resist trying out their
                                                    > books is because
                                                    > the cover artists always portray the main character
                                                    > as looking
                                                    > like the actor. This makes me think that, the
                                                    > publishers feel that
                                                    > the book wouldn't sell without a strong link to the
                                                    > actor."
                                                    >
                                                    > Well, clearly the depiction of an actor as a novel's
                                                    > main character
                                                    > is a deliberate attempt to sell more books, which
                                                    > is, after all,
                                                    > what publishers want to do. I don't know if this
                                                    > will mean
                                                    > anything to you, but Armin specifically did not want
                                                    > the main
                                                    > character of The Merchant Prince to look like him.
                                                    > Plus, I know
                                                    > for a fact that Armin actually wrote the book (with
                                                    > Michael Scott).
                                                    >
                                                    > Brent also asked: "Anyway, what I was wondering is,
                                                    > is 'The
                                                    > Merchant Prince' worth looking into?"
                                                    >
                                                    > I think it is. I am not particularly enamored of
                                                    > that sort of story,
                                                    > and yet I enjoyed the book immensely. Armin really
                                                    > is quite an
                                                    > artist.
                                                    >
                                                    > Finally, Brent said: "Thanks for your answer...it's
                                                    > great to be able
                                                    > to interact with the authors who continue to create
                                                    > within the Trek
                                                    > universe. Keep up the great work!"
                                                    >
                                                    > My pleasure! And thanks for the kind words.
                                                    >
                                                    > Regards,
                                                    > David

                                                    =======================================================I
                                                    did try Cmdr. Uhura's book a few Yrs. ago when it came
                                                    out & after reading a few chapters, I could see the
                                                    book wasn't going anywhere fast, so , I put it down &
                                                    gave it to the Library for other people to read. The
                                                    Flash P.S. Maybe she's improved since her 1st effort,
                                                    but, I've not seen anymore books by her knocking
                                                    around. Flash

                                                    http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jun 10, 2002
                                                      --- bknab@... wrote:
                                                      > I was wondering about that. I had seen "The
                                                      > Merchant Prince" on the
                                                      > shelves, but was hesitant to pick it up

                                                      "Anyway, what I was wondering is, is "The Merchant
                                                      Prince" worth looking into?"

                                                      I enjoyed it a lot. I picked it up because it may be
                                                      SciFi but it's got a historical setting to and I love
                                                      history. It's a very clever book, and worth reading I
                                                      think.

                                                      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                                                    • mhickers
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jun 10, 2002
                                                        wrote:
                                                        > I am continuously surprised and amazed at how often my Star-Trek-
                                                        reading friends in this group point to the cover art as important --
                                                        sometimes y'all don't even try the book 'cuz you don't like the cover
                                                        art. "Where is the logic in that?" (a Vulcan might ask). How can
                                                        cover art relate in ANY way to the quality of the prose within?

                                                        As a journalism major in college, I took a class once and we learned
                                                        that some things such as books and magazines can be an impulse buy--
                                                        and that generally the cover is a HUGE factor in this determination.
                                                        I believe the time that you have to get the impulse buyer is about 10
                                                        seconds, which really isn't that long. So, I would say that the
                                                        cover art of the novels is hugely important. And yes, I would also
                                                        say that you've got to have something of quality to go with the
                                                        pretty picture on the cover in order to insure that you have some
                                                        sort of repeat business, which I'm sure Mr. Ordover and Mr. Palmerri
                                                        will tell us is what they are seeking from us as fans. If they sell
                                                        me one book, they've done good...if they've got me to buy the book
                                                        and want another one and made me a repeat customer, they've done a
                                                        great job. :-)

                                                        > Another thing I've found strange is how often someone doesn't
                                                        like this author or that book-series... Sometimes you don't want to
                                                        pick up a book because it 'features' a particular character or
                                                        species or etc... My question is: Isn't it all Trek and
                                                        therefore; isn't it all good?!! I WILL admit to not being VERY
                                                        happy with a SMALL amount of books that I've read (and I'm usually
                                                        still glad that I read them) but methinks that some are a bit too
                                                        picky out there! LOL

                                                        I would fall into that "too picky" crowd them. I like Star Trek--
                                                        I've been a fan of it longer than I care to remember. (Mainly because
                                                        it makes me feel old!) And I enjoy reading the Trek novels. I've
                                                        read them for years now and I've honestly got to the point now that
                                                        I'm a bit more picky about what I read. I am probably in the
                                                        minority of the readers here who doesn't find Christie Golden's
                                                        novels to be all that compelling or great--it may be just that I
                                                        really don't care much for Voyager as a show and, thus, am not really
                                                        that into spending time reading more about their exploits. But I do
                                                        like Peter David's novels and will pick up anything that he puts
                                                        out. But I will say this--the Star Trek novels have their great,
                                                        good, bad and utterly deplorable books. For me, a majority of them
                                                        fall into the good or great category. Honestly, I'd say the vast
                                                        majority of the ones I read fall into the good category. I enjoy
                                                        reading the Trek books--and I look forward to ones by certain authors
                                                        nad in certain series more than other. And I am generally more eager
                                                        to pick up something by David, Keith R.A. DeCandido, Dayton Ward,
                                                        Diane Duane than I am about the other books that come out on the
                                                        schedule. But if the premise interests me or there is some good on-
                                                        line buzz about a book, I will give it a try. Hence why I'm intrigued
                                                        to read Christie Goldens' TOS offering later this summer--even though
                                                        I'm not a huge fan of her previous work.

                                                        So, I am probably "too picky" because I don't think that just becuase
                                                        it's Trek, that's good enough. I want it to be more than "just Trek."
                                                        I want to enjoy the books and feel like I've got a good value for the
                                                        dollars I've spent to purchase the novels. And, for the most part,
                                                        Pocket delivers on this promise. And I will admit the overall quality
                                                        of the books has picked up of late...I find there are more books on
                                                        the up-coming schedule that I am looking forward to reading and
                                                        that's a good thing--for me as a reader and for Pocket as a publisher
                                                        since it means they'll get some more of my hard-earned money. :-)

                                                        > Concerning DS-9 Relaunch: Thank you, thank you, thank you all
                                                        (writers) for your wonderful stories. I am VERY happy with what's
                                                        come out so far (of course) and salute you for your efforts. :)
                                                        DS-9 saddened me deeply by leaving and now I am happy again through
                                                        the Relaunch books! (grin)

                                                        Outside of the New Frontier books, the DS9 relaunch books are the
                                                        ones I most look forward to on the schedule. I'm also intrigued by
                                                        the idea of the TOS re-launch and seeing how those turn out. I've
                                                        picked 'em up but due to a huge pile of other distractions on my
                                                        reading plate, haven't read 'em just yet...
                                                      • Staci Hapdock
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jun 10, 2002
                                                          I know what you mean. At first, I was a bit hesitant. However, I'm now glad I did. The first few books of the Tek series were quite good, though I felt the quality dropped off after the second or third book. And though Frakes' 'Abductors' wasn't a life-changing level book, it was a pretty good read, as was Nichelle Nichols' book. But the ones that really hooked me were James Doohan's 'Flight Engineer' series. Very good, solid, old-style sci-fi. I've always liked SM Stirling anyway (his co-author), but many of the most enjoyable parts are quite obviously his contribution. And the plethora of Canadian refrences is just great! Nice to see Canucks getting a shot at the future. Though, I'm behind on the series ATM, and I only read a couple of pre-published chapters of the third book, so I'm hoping that Commodore Wayne Gretzky is gone by the time it hit the presses. That was pushing it a bit, even for me! lol

                                                          Spaci

                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jun 10, 2002
                                                            On Sun, 9 Jun 2002 23:33:23 -0500 "Beetle Bailey \(TX330\)"
                                                            <spam@...> writes:
                                                            > I am continuously surprised and amazed at how often my
                                                            > Star-Trek-reading friends in this group point to the cover art as
                                                            > important -- sometimes y'all don't even try the book 'cuz you don't
                                                            > like the cover art. "Where is the logic in that?" (a Vulcan might
                                                            > ask). How can cover art relate in ANY way to the quality of the
                                                            > prose within?

                                                            Yes I know, it's not very logical. The cover art isn't a primary thing I
                                                            look at when deciding on a book, but I do look at the blurbs on the back
                                                            cover (and the excerpt in the front of the book) to decide if it's one I
                                                            want to pick up. However, when it comes to books where the author is not
                                                            primarily known for being an author, the cover art can be a turn-off for
                                                            me. I guess my feeling is that if a book needs cover art to broadcast
                                                            "this is a famous person who wrote it, pick it up", it implies to me that
                                                            the story won't necessarily stand up on its own merits, and it's just a
                                                            ploy to take advantage of the name value to the fans of the genre. (Now,
                                                            "The 34th Rule" and "A Stitch In Time" are different, because the stories
                                                            are about those characters)

                                                            Also, I have tried a few of the actor-written novels, although I hadn't
                                                            had the time to finish them. LeVar Burton's was pretty good, and I
                                                            enjoyed what I'd read of Roxann Dawson's. When I get a bit more free
                                                            time available, I'll eventually return to finish them.

                                                            > Another thing I've found strange is how often someone doesn't
                                                            > like this author or that book-series... Sometimes you don't want
                                                            > to pick up a book because it 'features' a particular character or
                                                            > species or etc... My question is: Isn't it all Trek and
                                                            > therefore; isn't it all good?!! I WILL admit to not being VERY
                                                            > happy with a SMALL amount of books that I've read (and I'm usually
                                                            > still glad that I read them) but methinks that some are a bit too
                                                            > picky out there! LOL

                                                            True, I tend to have favorite authors when it comes to Trek (for
                                                            instance, I tend to prefer Peter David, Michael Jan Friedman, and the
                                                            Stevenses). Usually though, the story is what I look for in a good Trek
                                                            novel. Also, even though I enjoyed all the Trek series, I typically do
                                                            not care to read the Voyager stories, and lately, have not cared to read
                                                            the newer Original Series novels. Guess I'm just getting burned out.

                                                            > Concerning DS-9 Relaunch: Thank you, thank you, thank you all
                                                            > (writers) for your wonderful stories. I am VERY happy with what's
                                                            > come out so far (of course) and salute you for your efforts. :)
                                                            > DS-9 saddened me deeply by leaving and now I am happy again through
                                                            > the Relaunch books! (grin)

                                                            Agreed. Although I've only had the opportunity to read the Avatar books,
                                                            I'm really looking forward to reading more of the DS9 relaunch
                                                            (especially hearing about what happened to Jake, Odo, and O'Brien)

                                                            Brent

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Jun 10, 2002
                                                              Thank you April...you said that much better than I ever could.

                                                              Brent

                                                              GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                                                              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                                                            • youngtrek
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Jun 11, 2002
                                                                wrote:
                                                                > Another thing I've found strange is how often someone doesn't
                                                                like this author or that book-series... Sometimes you don't want to
                                                                pick up a book because it 'features' a particular character or
                                                                species or etc... My question is: Isn't it all Trek and
                                                                therefore; isn't it all good?!! I WILL admit to not being VERY
                                                                happy with a SMALL amount of books that I've read (and I'm usually
                                                                still glad that I read them) but methinks that some are a bit too
                                                                picky out there! LOL

                                                                I thought I'd chime in on this "Isn't it all Trek and therefore isn't
                                                                it all good?" topic.

                                                                In my personal experience I have to say "yes and no".

                                                                As a Star Trek fan (and fan of other things), I'm not a particularly
                                                                discerning/critical reader/viewer. If I like x, I'll usually enjoy
                                                                the adventures of x even if they aren't particularly
                                                                good/inspired/original/whatever. So I've rarely found myself not
                                                                enjoying a Star Trek story (be it tv show, movie, book, comic,
                                                                whatever). I guess it's because in most cases I enjoy
                                                                watching/reading about those characters, so even if they are just
                                                                walking through the same old motions ("Hailing frequencies open"
                                                                and "Red alert!-Target weapons!-Fire!) I like seeing them
                                                                nonetheless. Of course, I tend to enjoy the better Trek stories more
                                                                than the others.

                                                                That's the "yes" part. On the other hand, I can step back and
                                                                critique a Star Trek story too, and as we all know there are good
                                                                Star Trek stories and bad Star Trek stories. There are also cases
                                                                where the writer/s didn't quite nail the way the characters talk or
                                                                act (sometimes they don't get them at all) and this seems to be one
                                                                of the biggest criticisms Trek fans have.

                                                                So when answering the question, no "Trek" does not automatically
                                                                mean "good", however in my case at least it usually at least
                                                                means "enjoyable".

                                                                David Young

                                                                P.S.--On the matter of Trek actors writing other books, I'd just like
                                                                to say that I didn't even realized Lavar Burton had written a book
                                                                until I was in the stores a couple weeks ago and saw it there
                                                                (AFTERMATH). I picked it up and was surprised that it had been
                                                                around since 1997. I wonder if I've missed any other Trek actor
                                                                books?

                                                                I know about all of the Shatner ones [including the TekWar, Burton
                                                                Hawkes/Man O'War, and Quest for Tomorrow series], Roxann Dawson
                                                                [Tenebrea], John de Lancie [ARMY OF LIGHT], James Doohan [Privateer],
                                                                Jonathan Frakes [Abductors], Walter Koenig [Buck Alice], Nichelle
                                                                Nichols [SATURN'S CHILD], and Armin Shimmerman [Merchant Prince], as
                                                                well as Babylon 5 actors Boxleitner [Frontier Earth] and Peter
                                                                Jurasik [DIPLOMATIC ACT]. I also want to say that I recall Takei
                                                                writing a fiction book way back but I don't have that one. Any
                                                                others out there I'm missing (not including Star Trek-related ones or
                                                                nonfiction/autobiography ones)?