Re: Star Trek Series

  • mcfari
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2002
      Here's how I would rate things:

      TOS: 5 out of 10. It wasn't until the movies and Pcoket Books series
      came out that this series started to take shape for me. There were
      definitely episodes that were good and I've seen every one of them
      but having being exposed to the newer series with better effects and
      more complex stories, there's no contest. For Christ's sake, the
      creators of this series eventually created the Klingon makeup
      paradox!

      ST:TNG 8/10 seems fair. Lots of complex storylines and plot threads
      woven throughout e.g. Worf's fall from grace, Tasha Yar's Romulan
      descendant (they never really fully explored this by the way),
      Ensign Ro, The Romulans in general, Data's evolution, Q, and on and
      on.

      ST:DS9 9/10. If the only thing this series ever did was to introduce
      the Dominion and document the war between them and the Federation
      then that would have been enough. Stellar, stellar vision of Star
      Trek. "In The Pale Moonlight", "Return to Grace" are just the tip of
      the iceberg.

      Voyager: 7-8 out of 10. Not sure why people never got into it.
      Episodes like "Equinox", "Relativity", "Future's
      End", "Unity", "Phage", "Counterpoint", "The Good Shepherd", "The
      Year Of Hell" "Scorpion", "Eye of the Needle", "Basics". There were
      some bad ones too like "The Fight" and "Tatoo" but none of the
      series can say that they didn't have their fair share. I mean come
      on already.

      Enterprise: 8/10. I must admit that the idea of a prequel series
      annoyed the heck out of me. I was worried about the fact that the
      better special effects technology of today would show up TOS. I also
      did not like the fact that they chose the name "Enterprise" for the
      show. The idea that a more legendary Enterprise existed and that
      we'd never hear it mentioned by future characters bothered me a
      lot. "Endeavor" always sounded like a better title to me or
      even "Challenger". In any case, I think that the creators of the
      show have done a superb job in setting up a 22nd century environment
      that is truly marvelous and what can I tell you...I'm a real sucker
      for the them song. Very, very inspiring. And to think that this was
      originally used for the movie "Patch Adams"!!! I only wish they'd
      stay the hell away from holograms. I look forward to see how they
      deal with the idea of Romulans. The potential for runing continuity
      is exceptionally great.

      --- In startrekbooks@y..., "palladin01" <palladin01@y...> wrote:
      > Okay I just read the last post about Voyager. So lets see I can
      > start a discussion.
      >
      > 1. TOS - I give it 10 out 10 - I have every epsisode and still
      watch
      > them occassionally.
      > 2. STTG - I give it an 8 out of 10 - The cast of Characters was
      good
      > like in TOS. Havent bought the CDs but am thinking about it.
      > 3. DS9 - 3 out of 10: The characters ended up more like Baybalon 5
      > than a Star Trek series - enough said.
      > 4. Voyager - 6 out of 10 - good effort but crew just didnt bring
      it
      > home for me :)
      > 5. Enterprise - Jury still out but my early read is that it is
      > running close second to Voyager.
      >
      > As you might imagine - all the books I read are baised in this
      same
      > manner. Special Thanks to MSferengi - I got the 1998 paperback
      with
      > Gary Seven (Eternity) and have read about 100 pages - almost
      missed a
      > good one. I am also about 100 pages into Khan -2 - excellent like
      > the first one.
    • John
      Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2002
        1. DS9: Superb characters, political untones, well
        developed cultures, great coheasive story arcs, nice
        dark setting. 9/10

        2/3 (tie). TNG: Receated and remade the mythos of Star
        Trek for a new generation (no pun intended). Some
        great hours of television here, and reasonably
        compelling characters. The first Trek I watched. 8/10

        2/3 (tie). TOS: The show that started it all. It
        broke new ground and had the best characterizations of
        any series in terms of it's principle three
        characters. 8/10

        4. Enterprise: Sometimes seems rather stale after so
        many years of Trek. Some nice characters and a decent
        premise, though. I like television's return to the
        Alpha Quadrant. 7/10 (tentative)

        5. Voyager: Decent premise gone awry. It's like
        they're in the Alpha Quadrant only minus the familar
        aliens and planets. Not true to what the series was
        about at all in the latter seasons. Janeway was
        sorely unlikeable and Seven was overexposed. Very
        formulitic. A lack of strong strong episodes with the
        exception of "Tuvik". No continuity worth mentioning.
        5/10

        John

        http://health.yahoo.com
      • Staci Hapdock
        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2002
          Well, I can't give them numbers, and I like them all pretty much equally, but for different reasons.
          TOS - Great stories, about relevant issues, most of which still apply. Character development wasn't great, but in comparison to the other shows of the day, it was pretty good. And it did give us the most hilariously bad hour of TV I've ever seen. Spock's Brain is so utterly horrid that it's funny!
          But the books blow the series out of the water. Pandora's Box is what got me hooked, and most of my fave books tend to be TOS.
          TAS - Great stories, lousy animation. Similar in many ways to TOS, but the best way to watch it is from another room. The animation style just makes it seem *so* cheesy. I mean really, people, William Shatner was never that buff!
          TNG - The great stories of the '60's, told in a modern way. Wonderful character development, characters I care about, and relevant issues. This is the series that hooked me.
          DS9 - All I can say is WOW. Was not what I expected. I was figuring on 'Starfleet on a station' and instead got some of the most compelling characters ever. The most character development I've ever seen. This series had very few memorable story-driven eps, but instead showed us the nitty gritty of how a situation affects people. If I absolutely had to pick a favorite series I'd have to say this one.
          VOY - In many ways, a great blend of TNG mixed with DS9. Great character development, mixed with some incredible stories. I don't think any ep has ever had the effect on me that Memorial did.
          ENT - I love the feeling of everything being new. I'm not quite as into it as the other series yet, but I was the same way with DS9 and VOY. The feel of terrified Boy Scouts in space is just so real! And, though I love the symphonic, my absolute fave theme. This song is just too good! Of course, it likely helps that I listen to classic rock all the time.
          Spaci

        • mcfari
          Message 4 of 6 , May 4, 2002
            I really disagree with your comment about Janeway. If it wasn't for
            Kate Mulgrew's portrayal, this series really would have fallen by
            the wayside.

            A few examples:
            Year Of Hell
            Macrocosm
            EndGame
            Dark Frontier
            Counterpoint
            Night
            11:59
            Equinox
            The Good Shepherd

            I think that people may have disliked the character because she
            tended to be too morally high-handed. But hey, a lot of Starfleet
            Captains are. The only thing I really took issue with her character
            on was how they ended up remaining in the Alpha Quadrant to begin
            with. I think that the writers should have made the decision she
            made far more inevitable. The logical thing to have done was to have
            left the Ocampans to fend for themselves and get the crew home!
            Obviously, the series needed an excuse for Voyager to be stuck in
            the Delta Quadrant but did the captain have to launch cobalt
            torpedos and explode their way home?!!!

            All, in all, I think that Voyager is way too underrated. It was not
            better than DS9 overall but it wasn't worse than ST:TNG. Only the
            books were of poor quality overall.

            --- In startrekbooks@y..., John <pf2144@y...> wrote:
            > 1. DS9: Superb characters, political untones, well
            > developed cultures, great coheasive story arcs, nice
            > dark setting. 9/10
            >
            > 2/3 (tie). TNG: Receated and remade the mythos of Star
            > Trek for a new generation (no pun intended). Some
            > great hours of television here, and reasonably
            > compelling characters. The first Trek I watched. 8/10
            >
            > 2/3 (tie). TOS: The show that started it all. It
            > broke new ground and had the best characterizations of
            > any series in terms of it's principle three
            > characters. 8/10
            >
            > 4. Enterprise: Sometimes seems rather stale after so
            > many years of Trek. Some nice characters and a decent
            > premise, though. I like television's return to the
            > Alpha Quadrant. 7/10 (tentative)
            >
            > 5. Voyager: Decent premise gone awry. It's like
            > they're in the Alpha Quadrant only minus the familar
            > aliens and planets. Not true to what the series was
            > about at all in the latter seasons. Janeway was
            > sorely unlikeable and Seven was overexposed. Very
            > formulitic. A lack of strong strong episodes with the
            > exception of "Tuvik". No continuity worth mentioning.
            > 5/10
            >
            > John

            > http://health.yahoo.com
          • imacmike_2000
            Message 5 of 6 , May 5, 2002
              Here's my reasons for liking/disliking each of the various series.

              TOS - This is how I started watching Trek. We would go to my
              grandmother's on the weekends and every Friday night my uncle
              and I would sit in the living room and eat our pizza and watch
              reruns of Star Trek. This was in the early to mid 80s. I was
              around 10 years old. It was fun to watch the shows and it is how
              I got hooked on scifi in the first place. So I'll always have great
              memories of the original Star Trek. I still catch reruns of Star
              Trek on the SciFi Channel weeknights at 6 pm and I really only
              watch the ones that are my favorites (most recently "A Piece of
              the Action" was on - that episode is great fun to watch!)

              TNG - I was naturally very excited about seeing this new series.
              One of the reasons was (and some of you will groan but...)
              Wesley Crusher. Let me tell you why... I was around 14 or 15 and
              Wesley was my age and he was on the Enterprise! Now who
              wouldn't want to be a kid or an adult or anyone who loved Star
              Trek and didn't want to be on that starship. I just related to him
              immediately because of my age, not because he was a genius.
              And get this... I was grounded on the day Next Generation
              premiered! Luckily for me, we had a VCR (one of those first
              models that the tapes popped up and the thing weighed a ton)
              and I convinced my mom to tape it for me. But overall, I just loved
              the characters - they were diverse and interesting. And let me tell
              you too that I was depressed for a couple of days after seeing
              Tasha Yar die! She was one of my favorites...

              DS9 - Now the reason I was most excited about this series
              before it started was because it meant MORE TREK! Another
              hour in the Star Trek Universe a week! Woohoo! Then I started
              watching it and I thought the characters were funny, interesting,
              tragic, strong... all of these things and more! Then they started
              with some story arcs and I was hooked! This series got
              progressively better as time went on. I cannot wait until this
              series comes out on DVD! It will definitely be a prized
              possession for me!

              VOY - I wasn't that excited about this series, especially since I
              didn't think it could replace TNG like it was supposed to. I
              watched the entire first season and thought that there were a lot
              of gaps in the story and the characters. The characters weren't
              new or fresh or diverse (actually I thought they were boring) and I
              thought the two crews integrated too fast and too easily.
              Although I liked Janeway as a Captain and I loved Robert
              Picardo's portrayal of the Doctor, the rest of the crew didn't really
              do it for me. So naturally the shows where those two were the
              focus were my favorites. Seven was an interesting addition but I
              think it was too late for me then. I was no longer really interesting
              in the show and didn't watch it regularly at all.

              ENT - Now the latest show, Enterprise, is a great character
              show, I think. Obviously, it can't be about the technology so much
              as the characters because the technology just isn't to where we
              know it goes in the "later" series. But I have really enjoyed getting
              to know these characters and I find it a more realistic portrayal of
              how humans would go out into the universe before the Prime
              Directive and the Federation and handle things. I really feel like I
              am watching the future of human discovery of the galaxy. I really
              like Archer and Trip. And I am anxious to get to know the
              secondary characters more... does anyone think they need to do
              more with Travis? But this is a show I enjoy watching and I don't
              miss the "Star Trek" in the title, either!

              Now since this is a books discussion club (er, I mean group!),
              here's what I have enjoyed reading.

              I collected ALL of the TOS books up to about #70 or so. (I have
              since sold a lot of them and kept only my favorites and I no
              longer buy everything that comes out, instead only picking up
              those books that really interest me). I am reading Kahn Book 2
              right now. I am looking forward to The Last Roundup hardcover
              that comes out in a month or two. I am not really excited about
              the "relaunch of TOS" though. One of my favorites that I have
              read 4 or 5 times is Best Destiny by Diane Carey. (Contrary to
              public opinion - I do like her books and she is one of my favorite
              authors.)

              I collected the TNG books up to #25 or #30 and then started
              being more discerning about the books I pick up and read. I was
              also getting older at the time and school wasn't allowing me a
              lot of time to read Star Trek. I just finished Battle of Betazed and
              thought it was great!

              I only picked up the first 10 or so DS9 books. I found that I didn't
              enjoy those books as much. But the Millenium Trilogy was great,
              especially since it came out right after the series ended or so.
              And the relaunched DS9 has been incredible and exceptionally
              well written! I look forward to the Mission Gamma books!

              I only picked up the first couple of Voyager books and I also
              thought that these weren't great either. Although there were
              some exceptions - I loved Echos by Dean Wesley Smith. But that
              was one of the last Voyager books I got. Oh, and I did pick up the
              Hologram's Handbook - since the Doctor was one of my favorite
              characters.

              The first Enterprise book was good too. Again another Dean
              book (he and his wife Kathryn are two of my favorite Trek
              authors).

              And let us not forget the SCE books. I have picked those up from
              the start and although I am behind from the last couple of
              releases - I think they are pretty good too. I am a HUGE fan of
              ebooks and I usually wait to get the Trek ebooks released by
              peanutpress (aka Palm Digital Media) and read them that way. I
              have bought about 25 Star Trek ebooks and I love the fact that I
              can read them anytime and that I don't have to find shelf space
              for them!!!

              Well, there's my take on the world of Star Trek books and series.

              (I'm going to steal someone's quote here...)
              Happy Trekking,
              Mike