Re: [Star Trek Books] ebooks

  • motang1
    Message 1 of 20 , May 1, 2002
      Ebooks sound a nice idea but ever tried getting the writer to sign one of them :-D
      last year I went to the Cons in Denver and brought as many of Christie Golden's book as I could all individually signed with a different personnal message, so I would take all them books over being given free every ebook there is now or in the future.

      Stephen

      If a man is standing in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

      ---

    • David Fernau
      Message 2 of 20 , May 1, 2002
        I have 3 shorter bookshelves that sit along the back
        of my couch to sort of create an "entryway" in my
        apartment, and a tall bookshelf that faces them... all
        but one shelf of the 3 short ones are sci-fi and
        fantasy books. :)

        --David

        lrec_URL="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=225940.2028952.3504245.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705983607:HM/A=1061772/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://www.fullaccessmedical.com/t/7428/211/2458684356";var

        lrec_flashfile="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/misc/fam_lrec_groupsmail_0429b.swf";var

        lrec_altURL="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=225940.2028952.3504245.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705983607:HM/A=1061772/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://www.fullaccessmedical.com/t/7428/211/2458684356";var

        lrec_altimg="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/misc/fam_lrec_groupsmail_0429.gif";var
        > lrec_width=300;var lrec_height=250;on error resume
        > nextSub banner_click_lrec_FSCommand(ByVal command,
        > ByVal args)call
        > banner_click_lrec_DoFSCommand(command, args)end sub

        > Terms of Service.

        > removed]

        http://health.yahoo.com
      • April Payne
        Message 3 of 20 , May 1, 2002
          I, too, have oodles of books in my library (nearly 1000) with 100 + of them Star Trek and Star Trek related volumes. I would never want to part with them strictly for e-books, I am merely looking for a way to read more comfortably. Book lights aren't bright enough, or at least the little one I bought can't do the trick, and I have to shift it from one page to the next, --- talk about your basic tactile experience, --- so, what's a girl to do? And speaking of book shelves, we've been in our new house for nearly nine years now and I'm still waiting for hubby to build new shelves for all the books. Most of them are housed in the garage! But my Star Treks are safely shevled in my office closest, with only my hard covers on display in the room, next to other Star Trek paraphernalia.
          Happy reading,
          April
          Katherine Keirns <kit@...> wrote: I tend to seperate my books into four catagories with a few
          subcatagories... and use different sized bookselves for each, and in
          different rooms. My living room has my buisness related stuff in it
          (History/Sociology/Historography mostly, and that is divided basically
          into things in English and things in German). They are nice publically
          veiwable titles. I have a small general fiction section, Star Trek
          (which is now occupying an unorganized pile in a corner), and Role
          Playing Books (which I have some 500 or so, and they are Trade
          Paperbacks, so they take take up a lot of shelf space).

          Still, I prefer hard copy to ebooks, for one thing they are more
          versitile, I can lend and give them easier, I find it easier to
          reference them. I like the tactile feeling, and crawling into bed with
          a book. I can also thump people over the head with a nice thick one...

          Staci Hapdock wrote:

          > I understand completely. I've got 4 bookshelves now, 2 large and 2 small. The bottom shelves of the large one's are kept for my hardcovers, and my Treks take up the entire other 8 shelves. Then again, I also have the other 6 shelves, plus another 2 that don't fit, that are the rest of my sci-fi collection. My non-sci's are in a (neat) pile in a corner. I think I need more bookshelves! >;)
          > Spaci
          > od0_ital <tsharp6@...> wrote: Yeah, what he said. :-)
          >
          > Recently, I unpacked my library, and with my two bookcases, I
          > seperated out my books by the following criteria - Star Trek and
          > everything else. The Star Trek portion of my library, paperbacks and
          > hard covers, took up the tall bookcase - all five shelves and the top
          > surface. The 'everything else' portion of my library took up the
          > shorter case - all three shelves and the top surface. Sometimes it's
          > almost frightening how big of a geek I truly am. But home would not
          > be home without my library, and I just can't picture carrying around
          > some little thing in my pocket that has all of these books readily
          > available.
          >
          > And what the hell would I do with my bookmark collection!?!?!?
          >
          > Also, on a completely unrelated, off-topic note, I picked up my
          > copies of both ST: Stargazer novels this morning. I really like the
          > cover art for 'em.
          >
          > Tom
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/deepspacenineavatar
          >
          > --- In startrekbooks@y..., mxpalmieri <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > >...Different strokes, of course. But there are many who consider
          > > the tactile component of the reading experience as important to
          > > enjoying it as the words, and who derive satisfaction from
          > > investing a portion of their living space to the shelves that house
          > > books. To many, these things are a source of comfort, a simple
          > > pleasure that's more meaningful than the economy and
          > > convenience of reducing the whole lot of it to zeroes and ones.
          > >
          > > Marco
          > > > Yahoo! Health - your guide to health and wellness
          > > > http://health.yahoo.com
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
          > var lrec_URL="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=225940.2028952.3504245.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705983607:HM/A=1061772/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://www.fullaccessmedical.com/t/7428/211/2458684356";var lrec_flashfile="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/misc/fam_lrec_groupsmail_0429b.swf";var lrec_altURL="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=225940.2028952.3504245.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705983607:HM/A=1061772/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://www.fullaccessmedical.com/t/7428/211/2458684356";var lrec_altimg="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/misc/fam_lrec_groupsmail_0429.gif";var lrec_width=300;var lrec_height=250;on error resume nextSub banner_click_lrec_FSCommand(ByVal command, ByVal args)call banner_click_lrec_DoFSCommand(command, args)end sub

          Kit
          IMC System Operator - http://im-chat.com

          "Go have fun, and if you can't, well, don't blame the sandbox."
          --Pieter van Hiel

          "Hold yourself to a higher standard
          than others expect of you."
          --Henry Ward Beecher