What's everyone reading?

    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 28, 2013
      (anybody still here?)

      I'm most of the way through the first Crucible -- McCoy -- with Spock and
      Kirk to come.

      Before this, I read some Lost Years books, and after the Crucible books I
      plan to do the Lost Era books.

      I like the way things we recognize from various episodes or movies creep
      into the stories! Someone who sounds an awful lot like a DS9 character
      showed up in Crucible: McCoy!

      These are all re-reads, by the way -- but it's been a few years and I've
      forgotten the details -- although some things don't seem completely
      "Wha? where'd *that* come from!" But other scenes are more like
      "How could I have ever forgotten *that* happened!?!"

      I also have the new books The Fall that have been coming out -- prefer not
      to read until the whole set is out so I won't have to wait-for-it! OTOH they
      won't be so "new" by the time I finish the other books I've already planned.
      There's also a new Titan book coming.

      Looks like I'm good for months! well, weeks, anyway, before I have to look
      around for a new "theme" bunch (of ST, of course).

      Happy New Year & Happy Reading to all.
      bj
    • akinssr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 28, 2013
        I just finished a DS9 pre-finale novel, "The Wrath of the Prophets" by Peter David, Robert Greenberger and Michael Jan Friedman - Ensign Ro Laren shows up to help Major Kira deal with a plague on Bajor while Quark and Sisko team up to trace the black marketers who were involved in spreading the disease.  Very well done and entertaining.   I have some of The Fall novels too but haven't started them yet.  I remember the Crucible novels -  they were good reading.  Hope everyone has a great new year!  Reesa

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 28, 2013
          I think the McCoy book is my favorite of the Crucible books. I am looking forward to getting the last book In The Fall series by Dayton Ward...I already have it pre ordered to get sent to my Kindle.

          Mary Jane

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 28, 2013
            Right now I'm reading THE LOST YEARS by J. M. Dillard. A really interesting book -- I'm really enjoying it. The book takes place after the Enterprise's first 5-year mission. And tells what Kirk, Spock and McCoy did between then and the first movie.

            Before that, I read another very good book -- DOCTOR'S ORDERS by Diane Duane. Very interesting aliens in that book.

            I also ready Crucible McCoy and enjoyed it. But I also found it quite sad in parts. I still need to read the Crucible books of Spock and Kirk.

            Linda W.

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 28, 2013
                I've heard of that -- something I need to put on my list.
                Thanks for reminding me of it!

                Have you read Takei's autobiography To The Stars?
                I got it in audiobook and it was wonderful!
                (maybe it was the voice!)
                He's done a couple of other audiobook narrations too.

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 28, 2013
                  I read George's autobiography several years ago and really enjoyed it.  He's had quite a journey in his life.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 28, 2013
                    I have been reading The Fall series and am anxiously awaiting the next book!!!

                    Sent from my iPad

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 28, 2013
                      I am re-reading the original Captain's Table books for the first time in many years. I am currently on Kirk & Sulu's story (having read Pike's first), and my mind is putting together an interesting amalgam of Roddenberry and Abrams Trek - narrated by Shatner and Takei, but with the Abrams cast in the TOS part, on the classic Enterprise.

                      Guess it's the writer in me.

                      George Takei also recently did an audio reading of "T'was the Night Before Christmas", (and of course, he slipped in an 'Oh my!') which I grabbed for free from Audible.com. I've read his autobiography, and was amazed by this man. His courage against close-minded people, both during his younger years, and now in the current era, makes him a true hero in my mind.

                      Camren T. Burton
                      writer021@...
                    • Frances Brown
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 29, 2013
                        I have not read "To The Stars" yet I will have to see if I can get the audio book that sounds better. I do have the hard back book in my collection. I just requested Wil Wheaton "Just A Geek" from the library and I hope to get to that soon.

                        I usually only read 35 pages a day so finishing "Oh Myyy!"i n 2 days is unusual for me.

                        Did you see George Takei on Conan doing push-ups? I am sure you can find it on the internet if you search for it.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 29, 2013
                          I recently finished Shadows on the Sun.  I liked the McCoy portion of the story. I didn't find the aliens as interesting.  I loved the Doctor's Orders.  No I don't just read books about McCoy.

                          Karen

                          Yesterday, today was tomorrow; and tomorrow, today will be yesterday.
                        • Chad Bettis
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 29, 2013
                            Doctors Orders is one of my favorite rereads...

                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 29, 2013
                              After all this talk about Doctor's Orders, I'll have to reread it!
                              Since I just finished Crucible: McCoy & haven't started on Spock,
                              maybe I'll just stay with McCoy for a bit.

                              re: Shadows on the Sun -- it would be interesting to see how he "confronts
                              his past" in this vs how it happened in Crucible. So maybe I better add that
                              to the pile. :-)

                              When I get to Spock, I'll probably also read the Sarek & Spock's World
                              books; maybe re-read, I can't remember!

                              I also got Takei's book last night and somehow wandered over to Wil Weaton's
                              site and got his books as well.

                              BTW a few years ago I also listened to the audiobooks by Shatner -- his
                              memoirs about the ST series & movies.
                              Great fun.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 29, 2013
                                I didn't read a Star Trek books since June. I read other SF or fantasy books. But a desire to read again a Star Trek book starts tickling. It seems to be the case every beginning of a year. I read 6 Star Trek books at the beginning of this year, plus a lot of comics, and then I stopped. So maybe I'll start reading Kobayashi Maru, the one from Enterprise. I liked the way 'The good that men do' changes the end of the TV series and I want to read the next book.

                                I didn't read the Crucible books but I read Doctor's Order and even if I don't remember the story I remember I loved it.

                                For the Fall I have a long way before reading them. I first need to read Destiny and all the Typhon Pact.

                                The lost years is a book that tempting me for a while. Maybe one day.

                                I wish you all an happy new year.

                                --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, "bj" <bjones44@...> wrote:

                                > After all this talk about Doctor's Orders, I'll have to reread it!
                                > Since I just finished Crucible: McCoy & haven't started on Spock,
                                > maybe I'll just stay with McCoy for a bit.
                                >
                                > re: Shadows on the Sun -- it would be interesting to see how he "confronts
                                > his past" in this vs how it happened in Crucible. So maybe I better add that
                                > to the pile. :-)
                                >
                                > When I get to Spock, I'll probably also read the Sarek & Spock's World
                                > books; maybe re-read, I can't remember!
                                >
                                > I also got Takei's book last night and somehow wandered over to Wil Weaton's
                                > site and got his books as well.
                                >
                                > BTW a few years ago I also listened to the audiobooks by Shatner -- his
                                > memoirs about the ST series & movies.
                                > Great fun.
                                > bj

                              • wild_bonobo
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 30, 2013
                                  My most recent Trek read was "A Very Klingon Khristmas" by, Paul Ruditis and I am anxiously awaiting "Klingon: the Art of War" by Keith R.A. DeCandido. With memory issues compounding, I will read "The Fall", once all the books are in house, so that I don't have to re-read the previous book right before the new one to know what is going on. Hope everyone was blessed with some Trek Lit for your holidays, I myself was given Star Trek: Stellar Cartography, which is a great reference source, only downfall is that the map collection is folded, making some great art work less frame-able, hopefully they will offer the maps individually rolled at a later date, and let the powers that be unleash the gates and let the new trek lit rush out upon us. KQuita
                                • Chad Bettis
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 30, 2013
                                    I never hears of either of those hut would love to read them!!!