Seven

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 21, 2013
      I'm reading Assignment Eternity (really fun!) and can't help being struck by
      the ?coincidence? of names --

      Obviously the TOS character "Gary Seven" predates VOY.
      The book came out not long after "Seven of Nine" appeared.

      I just wonder how/why that naming came about!
      Had one of the show-writers been catching up on TOS?
      Had someone seen an early draft/heard talk about the book?

      "Seven" is the only 2-syllable-single-digit-number, so maybe it makes a
      better (better sounding) name.
      But still.......

      Thoughts?
      bj
    • trevthurlow

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 22, 2013
          What 47 gag? I don't recognize the reference!

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 22, 2013
            That's a clever idea regarding Seven of Nine's name and I'm not familiar with the 47 gag either.Reesa

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 23, 2013

              In TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT, if you listen and watch, a number of times the crews will say the number 47, or use something that has 47 on it.  Here's the Memory Alpha article on it.  http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/47

              One scene that comes to mind right now is from "Star Trek Generations", just after Scotty has beamed the Lakool survivors aboard, he tells Kirk that he got '47...out of 150'.

              Trevor

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 23, 2013
                Ohhhh, ok - thanks for the heads up!  Reesa