Questions about Star Trek storyline roadmap...(MAJOR MAJOR spoilers so be vewwy vewwy cah-fool)

  • Ian McFarlane
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2013
      I haven't posted an email to this group in a while (blame it partially on
      aggressive junk email filters).

      However, in any case, I've had a burning series of questions about the
      future of Star Trek storylines ever since the JJ Abrams Trek Reboot
      Countdown Comics prequel and the excellent David George novel "The Rough
      Beasts of Empire". These questions are aimed squarely at the "regular" Trek
      writers.

      The comics prequel written by the Trek Reboot screenplay writes introduced 2
      significant changes to the lives of key Star Trek characters:

      1) Captain Picard becomes an ambassador of the Federation.

      2) Data captains a future Enterprise.

      3) Romulus gets destroyed.

      The above 3 scenarios (according to the comics unfolds in 2387). At present,
      the new connected series "The Fall" is set in late 2385.

      In my mind there have been very clear signs in the most recent sets of Post
      Nemesis novels that Picard is already leaning in the direction of an
      ambassadorship and of course, the Cold Equations series re-introduces Data.

      So my big question to the regular Trek novel submitting writing crew is: Can
      it be confirmed that we're headed to a storyline that will seamlessly link
      the present novel continuity with the story that effectively launches Spock
      into being a partial catalyst for the JJ Abrams Star Trek universe or am I
      out of my ever loving skull? :-P

      Another BIIIIG question I have surrounds the gap of 5 years between the DS9
      novel "The Soul Key" and "The Rough Beasts Of Empire". Over the course of
      "The Rough Beasts of Empire" and the "The Plagues of Nights Books", we learn
      snippets about what transpired over those 5 years e.g. an encounter with The
      Ascendants, the kidnapping of Sisko's daughter Rebecca and the
      transformation of Kira Nerys into a vedek. These snippets scream out for a
      full chronicling.maybe a "DS9 Lost Years" series or maybe a trade paperback
      filled with novellas? Am I off base here? Are there secret plans to flush
      out those stories in their entirety?

      In any case, even despite of what may be the crazy ramblings of my
      "diseased" mind, I also wanted to let folks know that the various Trek novel
      sagas continue to delight me and I remain a big fan. There was a heavy mix
      of old TOS tales over the last few years but there have still been the
      regular doses of Typhon Pact stories set in the 2380's. So the timeline of
      Star Trek post Nemesis marches on at a steady beat. If what I think is true
      i.e. there will eventually be a detailed chronicling of the events
      surrounding the destruction of Romulus then it could be a very, very
      exciting ride.

      Peace out for now.

      Ian

    • trevthurlow

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2 1:58 AM
          By the way, I think that I got the 2387 year from the Countdown prequel comics and not the 2009 Trek movie.

          By the way, I have always felt that the character of Nero received short shrift in the film and even the prequel comics and that his full back story could certainly get the royal treatment in the novels.

          Here's to "the road to 2387"!

          Ian

          Sent from my iPhone

        • Keith R. A. DeCandido
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2 8:12 PM
            > > The destruction of Romulus in 2387 was a clearly established fact in the
            > > 2009 Star Trek movie, so once the novels get to 2387 the authors will have
            > > to write with that fact in mind, as it is part of the mainstream universe,
            > > just like the events of Star Trek IV The Voyage Home that took place in
            > > 1986. Picard's Ambassadorship and Data's captaining of the Enterprise-E are
            > > from the comic "Countdown", so it will have to be seen.

            Actually, the novel line is totally not beholden to anything established in the
            COUNTDOWN comic book. The only thing they have to acknowledge is the destruction
            of Romulus in 2387 and Spock and Nero and his crew disappearing right after
            that.

            ---Keith
          • Ian McFarlane
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3 6:10 AM
              That’s fair I guess but it’s so weird seeing lots of chatter in the novel about Picard wanting to become an ambassador now that he has a kid and etc, etc.

              It would be very cool to see that linkage back to Countdown. I guess that curious fans like yours truly will just have to wait and see. Whether Picard truly becomes an ambassador or not, the destruction of Romulus will still be a watershed moment for the novels.

              The other interesting thing is given that it takes time to craft trek stories and get them published, such an event could take another 3-4 years to see publishing daylight.

              Ian