Enterprise relaunch - What order, please?

  • writer021a
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2013
      Okay, I initially said I wasn't going to read the Enterprise relaunch books because when I initially began reading "The Good That Men Do", it seemed to be gutting the series finale, which unlike most people, I enjoyed (and I've heard enough guff about it from others, thanks).

      But dangit, I MISS the NX-01 crew, so I've decided to give the relaunches a chance.

      So, I know that "The Good That Men Do" comes first. What comes after that?

      Thanks!

      Camren T. Burton
      writer021@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2013
        There's a list that may help you at
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Trek_novels
        and apparently "Last Full Measure" comes first.
        I've read only a couple of the Enterprise books.
        Maybe I'll get in the mood for that series sometime but there's no rush!
        (right now I'm in DS9; I read clumps or themes as I get the interest for
        whatever reason, not in any particular order-of-series or timeline or
        whatnot)

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2013
          I would not recommend "Last Full Measure". While only the Prologue and Epilogue take place about 50 years after Season 4, the main events of the novel are set between "The Expanse" and "Anomaly", the first and second episodes of Season 3. And to be quite frank, I tried to read the novel when it first came out and I really didn't see the whole point to the novel, since it didn't add anything to the Xindi arc; this is one novel that I felt was really pointless.

          For the post-Series books, Enterprise starts with "The Good That Men Do", then it goes "Kobayashi Maru" (watch out there is also a TOS novel by the same name, but it was written in 1989), followed by "Star Trek: Destiny" (tells why the Columbia is not in the following books), "The Romulan War: Beneath The Raptor's Wings", "The Romulan War: To Brave The Storm", "Rise Of The Federation: A Choice Of Future's", "Rise Of The Federation: Tower of Babel" (March 2014).

          I'll just tell you to watch out for the Romulan War books, since while Book 1 is written pretty good, I found Book 2 to have been pretty skimpy on detail, and I didn't consider it the best way to finish up the duology, since the series was originally announced as a trilogy that then got widdled down to a duology, so book 2 felt more like an outline than an actual book.

          Trevor

          --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, "bj" <bjones44@...> wrote:

          > There's a list that may help you at
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Trek_novels
          > and apparently "Last Full Measure" comes first.
          > I've read only a couple of the Enterprise books.
          > Maybe I'll get in the mood for that series sometime but there's no rush!
          > (right now I'm in DS9; I read clumps or themes as I get the interest for
          > whatever reason, not in any particular order-of-series or timeline or
          > whatnot)
          > bj

        • Sara
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 6, 2013
            Hello Trevor and everybody (smile). Is the "Rise Of The Federation: Tower of Babel" (March 2014) book suposed to be set in the Classic Trek timeline and be some backstory for the episode by the same name? If so, I may have to get a hold of that one. I have not been much into any of the books published after DS9's Dominion War. Voyager and Enterprise never really thrilled me much as television series went. It would be nice to find a good Star Trek book again. I love stories that provide backstory.

            Sara

            (snip)

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 7, 2013
              With the "Rise of The Federation" series, Christopher L. Bennett is moving the Enterprise line forward to where the NX-01 has been decommissioned and is in "mothballs", but the crew is still involved in the events that lead up to what occurs in both the Roddenberry universe and the Abrams universe. I haven't read the first ROTF yet, so I'm not too sure what Bennett's doing in terms of the split, or if he's just going with the Roddenberry universe that ran from 1964-2005.

              But here's the write-up for "Tower Of Babel", from Chapters-indigo.ca:

              http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/star-trek-enterprise-rise-of/9781476749648-item.html?ikwid=Star%2520Trek%2520Enterprise&ikwsec=Home&gcs_requestid=0CKDOt_uu7LgCFVLj5wod9TUAAA

              'An original novel set in the universe of "Star Trek: Enterprise"

              Having survived its first major crisis, the Federation turns to nation-building as Admiral Jonathan Archer works to bring the worlds of the powerful Rigel system into the young union of the United Federation of Planets. But factions both within the Federation and among its enemies oppose the alliance, and Archer will need all the skills of his former "Enterprise" crewmates to prevent them from plunging Rigel into a systemwide war.'

              Trevor