ST Typhon Pact "Plagues of Night" "Raise the Dawn" and "Brinksmanship"

  • akinssr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 27, 2013
      Just finished reading these novels and I must say they made a most entertaining experience. I love the details of the Typhon Pact factions and the Federation and its allies and their conflicts and characters are so well written of course. There are plenty of surprises too!! David R. George III and Una McCormack did a fabulous job writing these novels. I can highly recommend them!! Reesa

    • writer021a
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 27, 2013
        I recently read these two, and found them most gripping. I wasn't happy to see DS9 destroyed, I admit, but I'm willing to see how the new one does. Brinkmanship though, while well-written, I had a bit of a hard time getting through. The Venetans didn't really grab my attention, and the Tzenkethi focus was a little strong.

        I am ambivalent about the Tzenkethi material since they were never really developed on any of the series beyond a name. Some would say that that's why it's cool to have them in the books. I don't disagree, it just strikes me as a little risky. For example, if the proposed "Captain Worf" series ever goes thru, and the Tzenkethi showed up in it, would CBS/Paramount stick to the material in these books about them, or would they do something totally different and screw up all these writers' hard work (as I'm afraid Star Wars Episode VII will do to the Expanded Universe)?

        Anyways, I'm on the Silent Weapons trilogy now, which I grabbed during that sale, and I've got Stuff of Dreams waiting for me afterward. I must admit though, I want to see more of Voyager, now that Janeway's back!!!

        Camren T. Burton

      • Trevor
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 29, 2013
          Those novels by themselves were good, after the mess of the first four Typhon Pact novels.

          But overall, I haven't been that impressed with the Typhon Pact---I'm just not getting that "Cold War" era vibe from the stories like'A Singular Destiny' seemed to setup. In some ways I wish we still had the Romulan Star Empire and the Imperial Romulan Empire working against each other, since in the recent books it seems like the Romulans and Gorn are acting as allies, but the Breen and Tzenkethi seem to be off doing their own things, while the Tholiams and Kinshaya are hardly head from.

          Trevor
          --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, "akinssr@..." <AKINSSR@...> wrote:

          > Just finished reading these novels and I must say they made a most entertaining experience. I love the details of the Typhon Pact factions and the Federation and its allies and their conflicts and characters are so well written of course. There are plenty of surprises too!! David R. George III and Una McCormack did a fabulous job writing these novels. I can highly recommend them!! Reesa

        • David
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 9, 2013
            Thanks for the kind words. I'm always delighted to hear that I've satisfied a reader. The follow-up to RAISE THE DAWN, a novel called REVELATION AND DUST, will be published in September, meaning that it will begin appearing in bookstores on 27 August.

            Best,
            David

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 10, 2013
              Thanks for the notice!
              I'm into Cold Equations right now, but will look forward to getting back to
              our friends at DS9.

              I enjoyed the Typhon Pact books, except I didn't reread Rough Bests when I
              reread the others -- not feeling quite up to Romulan Machinations at the
              time. :-)