Re: [Star Trek Books] Re: ASSIGNMENT: ETERNITY by Greg Cox

  • Andrew Brown
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2013
      If you want good Chekov (& Uhura & Sulu) books, read all of L.A. Grafs
      Classic Trek books. And Kobayahsi Maru by Julie Ecklar.

      Andy

      On 19 June 2013 21:22, bj <bjones44@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I may try Assignment Eternity, but I'm not a Khan fan so will skip the
      > Eugenics stories. (I never even made it through the movie!)
      >
      > I wonder if Roberta comes off better in print than how she's played in the
      > TV episode -- I'll be interested to see how that goes.
      >
      > Right now I'm reading some of the Captain's Table -- almost at the end of
      > #1, probably start #2 tomorrow unless I veer back to DS9 stuff.
      >
      > Pretty good story, I like seeing Sulu as Captain & how Chekhov also "grew"
      > from the young whippersnapper of the original series.
      > bj

    • Andrew Brown
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2013

        > I just finished reading ASSIGNMENT: ETERNITY by Greg Cox, and it is every
        > bit as good as everyone was telling me. In the original episode, I didn't
        > really care for the Roberta Lincoln character too much. But Greg Cox really
        > made me like her. He did a great job with the characters. It was a good
        > story that moved along really well and was very interesting. This one is a
        > keeper.
        > Linda W.

        I liked the 20th Century books of the Eugenics Wars books. Greg Cox
        performs a very cool weaving together of lots Trek history, and the sealing
        of plot holes from other Trek movies and episodes.

        As to Roberta Lincoln.. .she was supposed to appeal to the young women of
        the 1960s... as presented by a bunch of Old White Guys (tm). I think that
        pretty much sums it up. :D

        The final one on Ceti Alpha, 'To Reign in Hell', left me wanting. From that
        one I did like the expansion of what happened in STII:TWoK, the plot-hole
        filling, the inclusion of draft script information to create the focal
        point of the book, and the additional history, but somehow it still left me
        wanting. I think perhaps it was the patently manufactured peril facing Kirk
        in the here and now. Yeah, I think that spoiled the rest of it for me.

        Andy