Re: ASSIGNMENT: ETERNITY by Greg Cox

  • Trevor
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 19, 2013
      Greg Cox continued the Gary Seven and Roberta Lincoln storylines in "The Eugenics War" Duology. It's been a few years since I read both books, but I think the framing stories take place shortly after "Assignment: Eternity".

      Trevor

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 19, 2013
        I may try Assignment Eternity, but I'm not a Khan fan so will skip the
        Eugenics stories. (I never even made it through the movie!)

        I wonder if Roberta comes off better in print than how she's played in the
        TV episode -- I'll be interested to see how that goes.

        Right now I'm reading some of the Captain's Table -- almost at the end of
        #1, probably start #2 tomorrow unless I veer back to DS9 stuff.

        Pretty good story, I like seeing Sulu as Captain & how Chekhov also "grew"
        from the young whippersnapper of the original series.

        Greg Cox continued the Gary Seven and Roberta Lincoln storylines in "The
        Eugenics War" Duology. It's been a few years since I read both books, but I
        think the framing stories take place shortly after "Assignment: Eternity".

        Trevor

        --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, Linda Wrage <LINWRAGE@...> wrote:

        > I just finished reading ASSIGNMENT: ETERNITY by Greg Cox, and it is every
        > bit as good as everyone was telling me. In the original episode, I didn't
        > really care for the Roberta Lincoln character too much. But Greg Cox
        > really made me like her. He did a great job with the characters. It was a
        > good story that moved along really well and was very interesting. This one
        > is a keeper.

      • Andrew Brown
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5 1:46 PM
          If you want good Chekov (& Uhura & Sulu) books, read all of L.A. Grafs
          Classic Trek books. And Kobayahsi Maru by Julie Ecklar.

          Andy

          On 19 June 2013 21:22, bj <bjones44@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I may try Assignment Eternity, but I'm not a Khan fan so will skip the
          > Eugenics stories. (I never even made it through the movie!)
          >
          > I wonder if Roberta comes off better in print than how she's played in the
          > TV episode -- I'll be interested to see how that goes.
          >
          > Right now I'm reading some of the Captain's Table -- almost at the end of
          > #1, probably start #2 tomorrow unless I veer back to DS9 stuff.
          >
          > Pretty good story, I like seeing Sulu as Captain & how Chekhov also "grew"
          > from the young whippersnapper of the original series.
          > bj

        • Andrew Brown
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5 1:57 PM

            > I just finished reading ASSIGNMENT: ETERNITY by Greg Cox, and it is every
            > bit as good as everyone was telling me. In the original episode, I didn't
            > really care for the Roberta Lincoln character too much. But Greg Cox really
            > made me like her. He did a great job with the characters. It was a good
            > story that moved along really well and was very interesting. This one is a
            > keeper.
            > Linda W.

            I liked the 20th Century books of the Eugenics Wars books. Greg Cox
            performs a very cool weaving together of lots Trek history, and the sealing
            of plot holes from other Trek movies and episodes.

            As to Roberta Lincoln.. .she was supposed to appeal to the young women of
            the 1960s... as presented by a bunch of Old White Guys (tm). I think that
            pretty much sums it up. :D

            The final one on Ceti Alpha, 'To Reign in Hell', left me wanting. From that
            one I did like the expansion of what happened in STII:TWoK, the plot-hole
            filling, the inclusion of draft script information to create the focal
            point of the book, and the additional history, but somehow it still left me
            wanting. I think perhaps it was the patently manufactured peril facing Kirk
            in the here and now. Yeah, I think that spoiled the rest of it for me.

            Andy