Penultimate Star Trek

  • Karen Lim
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 19, 2013
      Sorry this is a bit off topic, but I thought it would be appreciated.
      I looked up Star Trek V: The Final Frontier and came across the word penultimate.  Look in the coordinate terms for definitions of very interesting words. Star Trek V was, of course, the penultimate movie featuring the original cast!Adjectivepenultimate (not comparable)(formal, literary or scholarly) Coming next-to-last in a sequence.  [quotations ▼](linguistics) Of or pertaining to a penult.[edit]Synonyms(next-to-last): next-to-last, second-to-last, second last[edit]Coordinate terms(adjectives denoting syllables): ultimate (last), antepenultimate (last but two), preantepenultimate (last but three), propreantepenultimate (last but four)
      Now I can classify all the original cast Star Trek movies!
      Star Trek The Motion Picture
      Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan PROPREANTIPENULTIMATE
      Star Trek III:  The Search for Spock PREANTIPENULTIMATE
      Star Trek IV:  The Voyage Home ANTIPENULTIMATE
      Star Trek V:  The Final Frontier PENULTIMATE
      Star Trek VI:  The Undiscovered Country
      What a set of new words I learned today!
      Karen

    • jt011952@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 20, 2013
        An object is only "penultimate" until another takes its place, after which it
        becomes "one of the last" or a previous object or thing. It only holds its
        penultimate status if the maker/author dies having made only one more object or
        thing after the penultimate, making it his/her life's penultimate effort. For
        instance, Johann Sebastian Bach was composing "Die Kunst der Fugue" knowing that
        he was dying. He broke off the composition of that piece and wrote his ultimate
        piece, a chorale/hymn tune. Then he died. thus, "Die Kunst der Fugue ("The Art
        of the Fugue")" unfinished as it was, remains Bach's penultimate composition.
        So, I am afraid that your naming all those pieces "penultimate" is true only as
        long as the author lives, and is thus a false designation.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 23, 2013
          That's a fun list! I'm going to have to start using those in everyday speech...providing I can manage to count backward that far!

          Strider

          “Yet through all the gloom I can see the rays of ravishing light and glory."
            -John Adams, July 3, 1776