Re: [Star Trek Books] Assignment: Eternity & Khan books

  • Linda Wrage
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2013
      Thanks for mentioning that Assignment: Eternity by Greg Cox leads into The Rise
      and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh. I haven't read any of those books yet, but I do
      have them. I'll be sure to read the Assignment: Eternity one before I dive into
      the Khan books.

      Linda W.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2013
        I will admit, I've been falling behind in my Trek reading... currently
        finishing up the Prelude to Dune series.

        By the way, not to make a shameless plug, but if you haven't checked out
        GoodReads yet, you really should... and if anyone wants to add another
        friend on there...
        well...http://www.goodreads.com/david_f_otherwhere_gazette

      • akinssr@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 6, 2013
          I loved Assignment: Eternity! Greg Cox did a great job. I read The Rise and Fall of Khan..." too - and it was as enjoyable. Enjoyed the "Articles of the Federation" as well. Reesa

> [...]

          > speak in
          > front of the council for aid to be sent to Talin. That seemed kind of
          > wasted and
          > I found the character of Marita to be annoying.
          >
          > The book that I'm currently reading is Q-IN-LAW by Peter David. I heard
          > this is
          > a fun book, so I was really looking forward to reading it. I'm about a
          > third of
          > the way through it and I'm enjoying it. I hesitated reading this one for
          > awhile
          > because I didn't really like the character of Lwaxana Troi. But so far I'm
          > enjoying the story.
          >
          > In the near future I want to read THE TYPON PACT novels (which I already
          > have)
          > and the COLD EQUATIONS novels. The artwork on the covers for those look

        • spocky_strek
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 12, 2013
            Hi Linda,

            I know the title 'The trellisane confrontation' but I never read it. But what you said about it, makes me want to read it. Thanks.

            'Prime directive' rings a bell for me but I can't remember if I read it or not. But the story really reminds me something. Maybe I read it a long time ago.

            Spocky

            > On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 11:00 AM, Linda Wrage wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Hi All,
            > >
            > > I'm continuing my reading of older books right now. I just recently
            > > finished the
            > > TOS novel THE TRELLISANE CONFRONTATION by David Dvorkin. (This was from a
            > > bunch
            > > of $0.95 Star Trek books that I picked up from Half Price Books awhile
            > > ago.)
            > > This one is from Feb. 1984. This was a smaller book -- only 190 pages, but
            > > it
            > > was a fun and fast read. The Enterprise picks up some dangerous prisoners
            > > from
            > > the outpost colony on Trefolg and plans to take them directly to Star
            > > Fleet
            > > Headquarters. However, after picking up the prisoners, Kirk was made
            > > aware of a
            > > subspace distress message from Trellisane requesting help. So Kirk takes a
            > > detour to find out what's going on at Trellisane. At this point I could
            > > already
            > > suspect that there was going to be trouble with the prisoners before they
            > > made
            > > it out of there. I liked the book quite a lot.
            > >
            > > The other book I just finished was another TOS book -- PRIME DIRECTIVE by
            > > Judith
            > > and Garfield Reeves-Stevens. This books takes place at the end of their
            > > 5-year
            > > mission. Kirk is blamed for destroying the world of Talin and is stripped
            > > of his
            > > command, so the bulk of the novel concentrates on the events leading up to
            > > that situation and how usual Enterprise gang works to clear his name. The
            > > characters were written well, but the only thing I didn't really
            > > understand was
            > > why Spock needed the help of the student organization (Students for Stars
            > > for
            > > the People -- which was against the Prime Directive) to gain access to
            > > speak in
            > > front of the council for aid to be sent to Talin. That seemed kind of
            > > wasted and
            > > I found the character of Marita to be annoying.
            > >
            > > The book that I'm currently reading is Q-IN-LAW by Peter David. I heard
            > > this is
            > > a fun book, so I was really looking forward to reading it. I'm about a
            > > third of
            > > the way through it and I'm enjoying it. I hesitated reading this one for
            > > awhile
            > > because I didn't really like the character of Lwaxana Troi. But so far I'm
            > > enjoying the story.
            > >
            > > In the near future I want to read THE TYPON PACT novels (which I already
            > > have)
            > > and the COLD EQUATIONS novels. The artwork on the covers for those look
            > > great.
            > >

            > > Linda W.

          • spocky_strek
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 12, 2013
              I was planning to read 'The rise and fall of Khan Noonien Singh' one day. But I didn't know it was better to read 'Assignment: Eternity' before. Thanks for the information. I will read it for sure. Particularly because I liked the TOS episode 'Assignment: Earth' and I also read and liked the comics also called 'Assignment: Earth'. I also like Gary Seven and time travel or time paradox stories. So everything is there for me and I'm looking forward to read it.

              I read 'A time to kill - A time to heal' and they are part of my favorite books in the 'A time to' series. Here is what I wrote about them in 2007. They feel real. Sometimes people complain that Star Trek is to clean, to soft. It is not the case of these books. I don't want to say that they are violent books, but the author success to make us feel what it means to try to restore peace on a planet. A lot of people die, some people do what they are not used to do. The descriptions of some war scene make you feel the stress of the characters and make you better understand their feelings.
              I also liked the different away missions in different environment
              and different climatic conditions.
              I don't remember them in details but I have good souvenirs of these books.
              I hope you will enjoy the final book of the series, I know I did :)

              Spocky

              --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, Carl Stark wrote:

> [...]
              > > speak in
              > > front of the council for aid to be sent to Talin. That seemed kind of
              > > wasted and
              > > I found the character of Marita to be annoying.
              > >
              > > The book that I'm currently reading is Q-IN-LAW by Peter David. I heard
              > > this is
              > > a fun book, so I was really looking forward to reading it. I'm about a
              > > third of
              > > the way through it and I'm enjoying it. I hesitated reading this one for
              > > awhile
              > > because I didn't really like the character of Lwaxana Troi. But so far I'm
              > > enjoying the story.
              > >
              > > In the near future I want to read THE TYPON PACT novels (which I already
              > > have)
              > > and the COLD EQUATIONS novels. The artwork on the covers for those look

            • Linda Wrage
              Message 6 of 8 , May 23, 2014
                I've been reading quite a lot of Star Trek books lately.

                NO TIME LIKE THE PAST by Greg Cox. What a fun book! I'm so glad I bought this one. It was as good as I'd hoped it would be. Greg Cox does a great job of characterizations. Lots of action. Highly recommend.

                After this one, I read several older ones that I just grabbed off my bookshelf randomly.

                RELICS by Michael Jan Friedman. I always liked the TNG episode. What was great about this book is that it added so much extra material to what was in the episode. I really enjoyed it.
                 SHADOWS ON THE SUN by Michael Jan Friedman. This is a TOS book. "This book begins shortly after the events that took place in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country."  It was pretty good. It really kept my interest. Everybody knows that McCoy was divorced, but this book delves into the details behind that. We get to find out what happened to McCoy's ex-wife.

                DREAMS OF THE RAVEN by Carmen Carter. This is a TOS book.This book was pretty good. McCoy has an accident, and for a good part of the book has amnesia.

                I am currently reading SHIP OF THE LINE by Diane Carey. So far I'm only on page 60, but I'm find this book a little odd. The USS Bozeman is a border patrol ship. The captain is constantly making fun of the first officer's accent (after once or twice it gets a little old). They drink rum on the bridge while they're on duty. That's also part of the welcome when they bring new crew people on board.There are times when it is really interesting and times when it just seems strange.  I'll get through it. This is a TNG book, but in the beginning there is a scene where the crew of the USS Bozeman meets The Enterprise (with Kirk and Spock).

                After this I really want to re-read the DS9 Avatar books. I also want to read the A Time To series (I have most of them). There are some people reading them on Goodreads right now.

                Linda W.