Re: [Star Trek Books] Before Dishonor

  • akinssr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 7, 2013
      With Titan, I think I read the first three novels but I got tired of the character like the doctor who was a dinosaur type species. It just seemed like there were several characters who were just thrown in just to have something different.

      As for the Enterprise books, I read "The Last Full Measure" and I think that's the last one. I know it was supposed to be a remedy to the awful Enterprise series finale, but I didn't care for it at all.. Reesa

      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 7, 2013
        I had to bookmark that site too (TOR.com).
         Great idea -- clever write-ups of each episode.
        Linda W.

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 8, 2013
          Hello Cecile, Happy New Year to you too! You certainly don't need to worry
          about your English skills, they're excellent.

          I too like Peter David's work, it is often highly amusing in a Classic Trek
          way. Some of my favourite Trek books are by him. Among them are 'The Rift',
          'Q-Squared', and his New Frontiers Captain's Table entry 'Once Burned'.
          These are special mentions as I like so many more of his books.
          However, I think he missed a step with 'Before Dishonour'. I agree with you
          totally about the Borg, Cecile. They are Star Trek's zombies; stop at
          nothing hordes who only want to make you one of them. They are a horrific
          enemy, especially after seeing how they assimilate Enterprise-E crewmembers
          in First Contact. Peter continues with his humorous approach in 'Before
          Dishonour' and to me it just strikes the wrong note.

        • spocky_strek
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 9, 2013
            Yes it's true that the Titan crew is composed of characters of very strange species. If I recall well, they even advertised on this fact when they started this new series. Even if sometimes I have difficulties to imagine all this species, I still like that. And we must admit that it's typically a serie that can only exist in the book format, it would be too much makeup or special effects in a TV series. When they started this Titan series I was very happy because Riker is my favorite character in the TNG TV series. But I don't really like what they did with him so far in the Titan series.

            I didn't like the Enterprise series finale, so I'm looking forward to read The good that men do to see what happen to Trip. In Last full measure I think it's just a hint, the real explanation is in The good that men do.

            Cecile

            --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, "akinssr@..." wrote:

            > With Titan, I think I read the first three novels but I got tired of the character like the doctor who was a dinosaur type species. It just seemed like there were several characters who were just thrown in just to have something different.
            >

            > As for the Enterprise books, I read "The Last Full Measure" and I think that's the last one. I know it was supposed to be a remedy to the awful Enterprise series finale, but I didn't care for it at all.. Reesa

          • spocky_strek
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 9, 2013
              Thank you for my English. As everybody here seems to say that the review I posted about Before Dishonor is clear in English, I might post it on my blog. Even if it's in French, it might allow people, like members of this group, to post comments on my blog :)

              From your special mentions of Peter David's work I only read 'Q-SQuared" but I really loved it. I note the other books you mentioned.
              I agree with you about the Borgs in First Contact, they are really scary. And now that you mention it, I realise that you are right, they are less scary in Before Dishonor. As you said maybe there is too much humour. I hope the following books, and particularly in the Destiny trilogie, the Borg are more terrifying.

              Cecile