Reading suggestions?

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 13, 2012
      I've finished re-reading some of the Titan books, ending with Synthesis.
      Then I veered over to re-do some Typhon Pact. Now I've finished Paths
      of Disharmony. (Yowzaa! even a re-read has been exciting!)

      Would I do better to continue with Typhon Pact -- Plagues of Night
      (not sure I'm up for so much politics in Struggle Within!)
      or return to Titan -- Fallen Gods??

      I can see the order of publication, but what would be the
      best for order-of-events?
      Is there something else I don't know about or have forgotten
      that would fit in here?

      Ideas, anyone?
      Thanks.
      bj
    • Strider Elfstone
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 13, 2012
        What series are those?

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 15, 2012
          With the Titan books I would higly recommend that you do not read "Fallen Gods". I just finshed it about a month ago, and it was very poorly written. The alien race was uninteresting, character development seemed to go in the opposite direction, and again with the alien race they had two sects, one that was religious and one that was science-minded, and the way Michael Martin handled the religion vs. science issue was very poor, since instead of handling it civilly, it felt like he took you into a room, locked the door and pointed a gun at you and said "Okay, let's talk about this". Seriously the subject has been covered a lot better in other books and episodes. Plus the book is easily forgettable, but it's not as bad as "Last Full Measure" (at least I could get through "Fallen Gods").

          Plus with "Fallen Gods" Michael Marin keeps referring back to "Seize The Fire", which, as far as I'm concerned was a better book, but is just as forgettable, so it was hard to follow, especially since "Seize The Fire" came out in 2010, and that was when I last read that book.

          "Struggle Within" I have read, since when I got my iPhone back in the spring I downloaded the Kobo app and used this book as the test; I'm not converting to ebooks just yet.

          But "Struggle Within" deals with the Talarians from 'Suddenly Human' and Jono. It's an interesting read, but so far nothing from this ebook has made its way into the other Typhon Pact books, since it was noted in "Plagues of Night", the Holy Order of The Kinshara is way on the other side of Klingon space and none of its borders even touch Federation borders, so in a way it is kind of like the Great Lakes here in North America where Lake's Huron, Ontario, Erie and Superior touch both Canadian and US borders, but Lake Michigan is completely within the US.

          Trevor

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 19, 2012
            Apparently I'm not reading the same book you did. :-)
            I'm enjoying Fallen Gods, although the jawbreaker name of the <ancient race>
            is a bit of a hitch in the process.

            With the Titan books I would higly recommend that you do not read "Fallen
            Gods". I just finshed it about a month ago, and it was very poorly written.
            The alien race was uninteresting, character development seemed to go in the
            opposite direction, and again with the alien race they had two sects, one
            that was religious and one that was science-minded, and the way Michael
            Martin handled the religion vs. science issue was very poor, since instead
            of handling it civilly, it felt like he took you into a room, locked the
            door and pointed a gun at you and said "Okay, let's talk about this".
            Seriously the subject has been covered a lot better in other books and
            episodes. Plus the book is easily forgettable, but it's not as bad as "Last
            Full Measure" (at least I could get through "Fallen Gods").

            Plus with "Fallen Gods" Michael Marin keeps referring back to "Seize The
            Fire", which, as far as I'm concerned was a better book, but is just as
            forgettable, so it was hard to follow, especially since "Seize The Fire"
            came out in 2010, and that was when I last read that book.

            "Struggle Within" I have read, since when I got my iPhone back in the spring
            I downloaded the Kobo app and used this book as the test; I'm not converting
            to ebooks just yet.

            But "Struggle Within" deals with the Talarians from 'Suddenly Human' and
            Jono. It's an interesting read, but so far nothing from this ebook has made
            its way into the other Typhon Pact books, since it was noted in "Plagues of
            Night", the Holy Order of The Kinshara is way on the other side of Klingon
            space and none of its borders even touch Federation borders, so in a way it
            is kind of like the Great Lakes here in North America where Lake's Huron,
            Ontario, Erie and Superior touch both Canadian and US borders, but Lake
            Michigan is completely within the US.

            Trevor

            --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, "bj" <bjones44@...> wrote:

            > I've finished re-reading some of the Titan books, ending with Synthesis.
            > Then I veered over to re-do some Typhon Pact. Now I've finished Paths
            > of Disharmony. (Yowzaa! even a re-read has been exciting!)
            >
            > Would I do better to continue with Typhon Pact -- Plagues of Night
            > (not sure I'm up for so much politics in Struggle Within!)
            > or return to Titan -- Fallen Gods??
            >
            > I can see the order of publication, but what would be the
            > best for order-of-events?
            > Is there something else I don't know about or have forgotten
            > that would fit in here?
            >
            > Ideas, anyone?
            > Thanks.
            > bj

          • Trevor
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 21, 2012
              Apparently not, since I have to give "Fallen Gods" a 2.5 out of 10 rating, or "Poor".