Star Trek Deep Space Nine #14 The Long Night

  • Trevor
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2012
      The Long Night
      Star Trek Deep Space Nine #14
      By Dean Wesley Smith and Kristine Kathryn Rusch
      Published February 1996

      Plot: The Nibix was launched from the planet Jibet with the Supreme Ruler of the Jibetians in cold sleep, expecting to wake up in 75 years. But 800 years have since passed with no sign of the Nibix until an alien walks into Quark's Bar with a statue that could only be from the most famous galactic ghost ship.

      Review: I first started reading the book about a year ago, but I only got through the prologue and then one of the newer Trek books came out and I started reading that. Suffice it to say I didn't get back to Long Night til about a week ago. But this is one book I shouldn't have put down. Right from the end of Chapter 1 Smith and Rusch just put the "peddle to the metal" and never let up.

      I did notice that, and this is where I have to deduct marks here, but the editing on the book was very sloppy. It was almost like the editor(s) had edited this book very late a night and was falling a sleep. I found a number passages that just made no sense. The authors might've been trying to write something like "Sisko went to tap his combadge, but paused to listen." but instead typed " Sisko went his combadge, paused listen".

      Rating 9.5 out 10.

      If you thought the numbered DS9 books were nowhere as good as the Season 8 books or the TNG/Voyager numbered books, then you really need to read "The Long Night". It is a Star Trek Classic.