Re: [Star Trek Books] "Cast No Shadow" by James Swallow

    Message 1 of 11 , May 26 12:33 PM
      Sounds like a good book to put on my list. I'd be interested in Vaughn's
      early adventures.

      I'm still making my way through Vanguard -- I'm in mid-#7 right now so it'll
      be a little while yet.

      Just finished this novel and it's one of my favorite ST books!!! We find
      out what became of Valeris after the events of ST6. At first she appears to
      be cold and calculating but gradually her true nature is revealed. In
      addition, Swallow shows Elias Vaughn's initial foray into Starfleet
      Intelligence field work as he follows a hunch and ends up with a most
      unlikely pair of allies. Swallow does a wonderful job of bringing these
      characters to life and introduces Kaj - a Klingon Intelligence agent who
      could scare the poison out of a rattlesnake!!!! James Swallow did a great
      job here and I hope he writes more Trek stories. Reesa
    • Andrew Brown
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 12, 2012

        > Just finished this novel and it's one of my favorite ST books!!! We
        > find out what became of Valeris after the events of ST6. At first she
        > appears to be cold and calculating but gradually her true nature is
        > revealed. In addition, Swallow shows Elias Vaughn's initial foray into
        > Starfleet Intelligence field work as he follows a hunch and ends up with a
        > most unlikely pair of allies. Swallow does a wonderful job of bringing
        > these characters to life and introduces Kaj - a Klingon Intelligence agent
        > who could scare the poison out of a rattlesnake!!!! James Swallow did a
        > great job here and I hope he writes more Trek stories. Reesa

        Sounds good to me too, Reesa. Thanks for the recommendation.

        Andy

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 10, 2012
          I'm about halfway through this now, plenty of edge-of-your-seat action!
          Always another twist around the next corner, as well as some "I shoulda seen
          that coming!" or classic terrorist-techniques used in a Trek-y way.
          Kaj is *very* interesting.
          Lotta fun.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 24, 2012
            Finished this a little while back & was wondering --
            what's a good "reading list" about Elias Vaughn? I know he turns up at DS9
            later -- can't remember when or why! -- is there also anything else about
            his SI adventures?
            And do we see Kaj again?

            Just finished this novel and it's one of my favorite ST books!!! We find
            out what became of Valeris after the events of ST6. At first she appears to
            be cold and calculating but gradually her true nature is revealed. In
            addition, Swallow shows Elias Vaughn's initial foray into Starfleet
            Intelligence field work as he follows a hunch and ends up with a most
            unlikely pair of allies. Swallow does a wonderful job of bringing these
            characters to life and introduces Kaj - a Klingon Intelligence agent who
            could scare the poison out of a rattlesnake!!!! James Swallow did a great
            job here and I hope he writes more Trek stories. Reesa
          • Keith R. A. DeCandido
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 24, 2012
              > Finished this a little while back & was wondering --

              > what's a good "reading list" about Elias Vaughn? I know he turns up at DS9
              > later -- can't remember when or why! -- is there also anything else about
              > his SI adventures?

              Other Elias Vaughn books of note:

              THE LOST ERA: SERPENTS AMONG THE RUINS by David R. George III
              THE LOST ERA: THE ART OF THE IMPOSSIBLE by Keith R.A. DeCandido
              TEROK NOR: DAWN OF THE EAGLES by James Swallow
              TNG: THE BATTLE OF BETAZED by Charlotte Douglas & Susan Kearney
              DS9: AVATAR Books 1-2 by S.D. Perry
              DS9: ABYSS by David Weddle & Jeffrey Lang
              DS9: DEMONS OF AIR AND DARKNESS by Keith R.A. DeCandido
              TNG/DS9: DIVIDED WE FALL (comic book) by John J. Ordover, David Mack, Andrew
              Currie, and Mike Collins
              DS9: MISSION: GAMMA Book 1: TWILIGHT by David R. George III
              DS9: MISSION: GAMMA Book 2: THIS GREY SPIRIT by Heather Jarman
              DS9: MISSION: GAMMA Book 3: CATHEDRAL by Michael A. Martin & Andy Mangels
              DS9: MISSION: GAMMA Book 4: LESSER EVIL by Robert Simpson
              DS9: UNITY by S.D. Perry
              "Bajor: Fragments and Omens" by J. Noah Kym in WORLDS OF DS9 Volume 2
              DS9: WARPATH by David Mack
              DS9: FEARFUL SYMMETRY by Olivia Woods

              He also appears in several of the TYPHON PACT novels, most notable PLAGUES OF
              NIGHT and RAISE THE DAWN by David R. George III, though someone else will have
              to provide specifics of his appearances therein.

              DeCandido.net | kradical.livejournal.com
              Facebook.com/kradec | @KRADeC on Twitter

              "Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk." ---Tom
              Waits
            • Kristina Boston
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 25, 2012
                I didn't request this Keith but thanks!
                New member Kristina Boston (way behind in my books but trying!)

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 26, 2012
                  Thanks very much, Keith -- I've read most of those on your list and am
                  currently re-reading Typhon Pact.

                  I'll keep this list for after I'm done with TP. It's always nice to have a
                  "series" or "theme" list to keep me going for weeks! I won't mind re-reading
                  the ones I've (by now) forgotten the details of and I'm sure the authors
                  won't mind the extra $ that comes when I buy the Kindle version of the ones
                  I already have in pb. :-)

                  Not that I'm committing to reading Elias books -- something else may tweak
                  my fancy by the time I get through all the TP books, and since I'm only a
                  little into #2 I've got a ways to go on that.

                  I realized too-late that I should have *tried* a bit of Memory Alpha/Beta
                  research first but I always get such *good* help with these questions here
                  it's the first resource I think of! <50 lashes with wet noodle time....>
                  Thanks!

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 26, 2012
                    With ST books, you're *never* going to catch up.

                    And if you start having to re-read them if, say, you're into a
                    later-in-series-book and want to revisit the earlier ones, or see how some
                    particular theme or character developed over multiple books... well...it
                    gets even "worse."
                    BTDT. That's D as in "doing" not "done."

                    But at least you know that there's a lifetime supply. :-)

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 26, 2012
                      oh so true.

                      I do re-read my books. I'm trying to sort them into a "following the theme" sections but they cross over sometimes too.
                      I had wanted to "catch up" because, back in the day, before the explosion of ebooks, I actually did have most of the available books. If I someday win the lottery, you better believe one of the 1st orders I will give to my accountant will be to order every last one! :) (I'll have to hire the accountant first!)

                      One reason that I enjoy ST, the books in particular, is because they have broadened my thinking so much. Many of the authors introduce ways of seeing things that I might not have considered and the re-reading helps me to develop & stretch my mind. To me, anyway, they're not just entertainment. I've learned a lot.

                      I've been reading the ST books since my mom found some of James Blish's TOS adaptations at the grocery store. Of course, I've had to replace a few of the older ones, lol, since I prefer paperbacks.
                      Unfortunately, my local Barnes & Noble has only a small selection & of that, many are duplicates. I could order them online but I am now retired and can't afford the S&H.
                      However, I just found out that my local used book shop can order new books for me at a small discount. Hooray! I'm making my list for August!

                      Tina  (Kristina)

                      ________________________________

                      New member Kristina Boston (way behind in my books but trying!)

                      ________________________________
                      > Finished this a little while back & was wondering --

                      > what's a good "reading list" about Elias Vaughn? I know he turns up at DS9
                      > later -- can't remember when or why! -- is there also anything else about
                      > his SI adventures?

                      Other Elias Vaughn books of note:

                      THE LOST ERA: SERPENTS AMONG THE RUINS by David R. George III
                      THE LOST ERA: THE ART OF THE IMPOSSIBLE by Keith R.A. DeCandido
                      TEROK NOR: DAWN OF THE EAGLES by James Swallow
                      TNG: THE BATTLE OF BETAZED by Charlotte Douglas & Susan Kearney
                      DS9: AVATAR Books 1-2 by S.D. Perry
                      DS9: ABYSS by David Weddle & Jeffrey Lang
                      DS9: DEMONS OF AIR AND DARKNESS by Keith R.A. DeCandido
                      TNG/DS9: DIVIDED WE FALL (comic book) by John J. Ordover, David Mack, Andrew
                      Currie, and Mike Collins
                      DS9: MISSION: GAMMA Book 1: TWILIGHT by David R. George III
                      DS9: MISSION: GAMMA Book 2: THIS GREY SPIRIT by Heather Jarman
                      DS9: MISSION: GAMMA Book 3: CATHEDRAL by Michael A. Martin & Andy Mangels
                      DS9: MISSION: GAMMA Book 4: LESSER EVIL by Robert Simpson
                      DS9: UNITY by S.D. Perry
                      "Bajor: Fragments and Omens" by J. Noah Kym in WORLDS OF DS9 Volume 2
                      DS9: WARPATH by David Mack
                      DS9: FEARFUL SYMMETRY by Olivia Woods

                      He also appears in several of the TYPHON PACT novels, most notable PLAGUES
                      OF
                      NIGHT and RAISE THE DAWN by David R. George III, though someone else will
                      have
                      to provide specifics of his appearances therein.

                      DeCandido.net | kradical.livejournal.com
                      Facebook.com/kradec | @KRADeC on Twitter

                      "Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's
                      drunk." ---Tom
                      Waits

                    • Kathy Agel
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 26, 2012
                        > Unfortunately, my local Barnes & Noble has only a small selection & of
                        > that, many are duplicates. I could order them online but I am now
                        > retired and can't afford the S&H.

                        Your Barnes & Noble will order them for you and will either ship them to
                        the store, or, if you're a member of their frequent buyer program, will
                        ship them to you with free shipping.

                        --
                        www.contraryrose.com