Overview of Trek Books for 2012?

  • michelleanne44
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2012
      Hi All!

      I've been lurking on this group for ages, although I was pretty active in high school (aka 2004-2005 or so).

      I'm looking for an overview of the upcoming Star Trek books for this year, and also any information you all have on the upcoming series arcs, so to speak. I got a Kindle last summer and I'm trying to to decide what to pre-order before I run out of money. :)

      I was in grad school studying international relations for 2010-2011, so I may have missed some of the books that came out during that time period too. Are there any particularly good websites that set out the series in order? Amazon gives me too many unrelated books, unfortunately.

      As a side note, I don't know if any of you read much science fiction other than Star Trek, but I do. There are a couple of series I'd really like to recommend. One is a multi-author series started/edited by Eric Flint called the 163x series or the Ring of Fire series. The first book is "1632." The basic plot is that a modern American town in West Virginia is picked up and swapped with a piece of German land in 1631, right in the middle of the 30 years war. The townspeople have to deal with being stuck in the past and what to do about all the armies closing in on them. All of the subsequent books deal with how they adapt their technology to the situation (what works, what doesn't, what technologies that for them are really outdated are actually really advanced for the 1600s) and how the other people (some of them famous historical characters like Galileo or Oliver Cromwell) deal with the spread of knowledge about the future (especially info about who lives and dies and when). Really cool stuff - I'm learning a ton about European history too.

      The other scifi series I'd really strongly recommend is David Weber's Honor Harrington series (first book is "On Basilisk Station"). In it, humanity has spread throughout the stars. Instead of one federation, however, there are four or so multi-system space powers of various sizes and governments. The books follow the career and life of Honor Harrington, a female officer in the Manticorian Space Navy. She grows and changes throughout the books, increasing in skills and responsibilities, as Manticore gets drawn into a major space war. As I've been telling my friends, the books are essentially international relations set in space. (Plus plot, romance, spy stuff, and all sorts of things). Anyway, I highly recommend that series too. (Did I forget to mention there's a society of telepathic cats?)

      Both series are available from the publisher Baen. They've done a really cool thing and made about 100 of their authors' books free online, usually the first book or two a series. Both 1632 and On Basilisk Station are free here: http://www.baen.com/library/books.asp The general idea is that people will get hooked and buy the rest of the series (it worked on me!). You can get all kinds of free scifi, and then you'll have more money to spend buying Star Trek novels!

      Anyway, I'd love to hear what anyone has to say about upcoming Star Trek novels or any I may have missed in the last year or so. I did catch "DTI: Watching the Clock" and I loved it. I'm really looking forward to the next one.

      Thanks,
      Michelle