Re: [Star Trek Books] Star Trek Vanguard comic

  • Dayton Ward
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 29 8:34 AM
      A few years back (2008?), David Mack and I approached the editor at IDW who was overseeing the Trek comics at the time, and one of the topics discussed was the possibility of a Vanguard comic. It never went any further than "Hey, that might be neat," and while I can't speak for Dave, I never had any further contact with anyone at IDW.

      Dayton
      http://www.daytonward.com

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 29 11:18 AM
        I remember that meeting at San Diego Comic-Con. But, as Dayton said, I haven't heard anything from IDW since then except for a deafening silence.

        Dave
        http://www.davidmack.pro/

        --- "Dayton Ward" <daytonward@...> wrote:

        > A few years back (2008?), David Mack and I approached the editor at IDW who was overseeing the Trek comics at the time, and one of the topics discussed was the possibility of a Vanguard comic. It never went any further than "Hey, that might be neat," and while I can't speak for Dave, I never had any further contact with anyone at IDW.
        >

        > Dayton
        > http://www.daytonward.com

      • Carl Stark
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 2, 2012
          Thank you for responding on this. I sent an email to IDW comics suggesting
          they pick up a Vanguard comic. They responded that they thought it was a
          good idea, but they did not have the rights to publish on any Vanguard
          material.

          I'm not certain what it would take to get the rights, but it was
          interesting to see the feedback on this.

          Thanks again,
          Carl

          On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 12:18 PM, infinitydogalpha <davidmack@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I remember that meeting at San Diego Comic-Con. But, as Dayton said, I
          > haven't heard anything from IDW since then except for a deafening silence.
          >
          > Dave
          > http://www.davidmack.pro/
          >

          > --- "Dayton Ward" <daytonward@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > A few years back (2008?), David Mack and I approached the editor at IDW
          > who was overseeing the Trek comics at the time, and one of the topics
          > discussed was the possibility of a Vanguard comic. It never went any
          > further than "Hey, that might be neat," and while I can't speak for Dave, I
          > never had any further contact with anyone at IDW.
          > >

          > > Dayton
          > > http://www.daytonward.com

        • Dayton Ward
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 2, 2012
            Given the...uh..."recent developments" with the just-released STORMING HEAVEN, the final book in the series, a Vanguard comic probably won't be in the cards, even if IDW secured permission to do "spin-off" series the way Pocket does with the novels.

            Ah, well. :)

            Dayton
            http://www.daytonward.com

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 2, 2012
              What "recent developments"?

              I'm currently on Vanguard #3 as I re-read my way through the series before
              reading the last books and the series finale (I think I've only read the
              first 5 before, it's been a while.)

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 2, 2012
                I'm certain that it is a plot point in the last book that he didn't want to
                spoil us on. I'm still working my way towards that book as well and I
                can't wait to read it.

                Carl

                On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 11:35 AM, bj <bjones44@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > What "recent developments"?
                >
                > I'm currently on Vanguard #3 as I re-read my way through the series before
                > reading the last books and the series finale (I think I've only read the
                > first 5 before, it's been a while.)
                > bj

              • Dayton Ward
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 2, 2012
                  <<What "recent developments"?>>

                  You'll just have to read and see :)

                  Dayton
                  http://www.daytonward.com

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 2, 2012
                    Oh, OK -- if it's about what's *in* the book.
                    I was worried there was some problem with the publishing or something!

                    I'm reading, I'm reading!

                    I must be getting old, I don't seem able to do the long reading-stretches
                    I used to do....but then, the books do last longer that way. :-)

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 3, 2012
                      I think I'm going to re-read them too before I get to the final book - it's been a long time since I read one - I make myself wait a while between each one even after it comes out!!! That way I always have something to look forward to and now the events are kind of fuzzy from back at the beginning. I read for long stretches at a time but I read sooo many different kinds of books so it takes me a while to work around to all the Trek books. Lots of Vanguard to look forward to though!!! Reesa

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 4, 2012
                        With "series" books, I've also tended to wait awhile -- & recently if I wait
                        more than a *little* while I end up having to start all over anyway -- many
                        events are fuzzy, & even those for those that ring a bell (faint or
                        otherwise) I don't remember details & sometimes even "how it comes out"
                        so it's no hardship to reread. :-)

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 4, 2012
                          Ha - yeah somehow the old gray matter doesn't retain info like it used to!!! Maybe I need to wear that spiked helmet Dr. McCoy wore when he worked on Spock's brain in TOS ep of the same title!!!! Reesa