Star Trek Vanguard comic

  • Carl Stark
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 29, 2012
      Was there plans for a Star Trek Vanguard comic?

      Thanks in advance,
      Carl
    • Dayton Ward
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 29, 2012
        A few years back (2008?), David Mack and I approached the editor at IDW who was overseeing the Trek comics at the time, and one of the topics discussed was the possibility of a Vanguard comic. It never went any further than "Hey, that might be neat," and while I can't speak for Dave, I never had any further contact with anyone at IDW.

        Dayton
        http://www.daytonward.com

        Was there plans for a Star Trek Vanguard comic?

        Thanks in advance,
        Carl

      • infinitydogalpha
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 29, 2012
          I remember that meeting at San Diego Comic-Con. But, as Dayton said, I haven't heard anything from IDW since then except for a deafening silence.

          Dave
          http://www.davidmack.pro/

          --- "Dayton Ward" <daytonward@...> wrote:

          > A few years back (2008?), David Mack and I approached the editor at IDW who was overseeing the Trek comics at the time, and one of the topics discussed was the possibility of a Vanguard comic. It never went any further than "Hey, that might be neat," and while I can't speak for Dave, I never had any further contact with anyone at IDW.
          >

          > Dayton
          > http://www.daytonward.com

        • Carl Stark
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 2, 2012
            Thank you for responding on this. I sent an email to IDW comics suggesting
            they pick up a Vanguard comic. They responded that they thought it was a
            good idea, but they did not have the rights to publish on any Vanguard
            material.

            I'm not certain what it would take to get the rights, but it was
            interesting to see the feedback on this.

            Thanks again,
            Carl

            On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 12:18 PM, infinitydogalpha <davidmack@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > I remember that meeting at San Diego Comic-Con. But, as Dayton said, I
            > haven't heard anything from IDW since then except for a deafening silence.
            >
            > Dave
            > http://www.davidmack.pro/
            >

            > --- "Dayton Ward" <daytonward@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > A few years back (2008?), David Mack and I approached the editor at IDW
            > who was overseeing the Trek comics at the time, and one of the topics
            > discussed was the possibility of a Vanguard comic. It never went any
            > further than "Hey, that might be neat," and while I can't speak for Dave, I
            > never had any further contact with anyone at IDW.
            > >

            > > Dayton
            > > http://www.daytonward.com

          • Dayton Ward
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 2, 2012
              Given the...uh..."recent developments" with the just-released STORMING HEAVEN, the final book in the series, a Vanguard comic probably won't be in the cards, even if IDW secured permission to do "spin-off" series the way Pocket does with the novels.

              Ah, well. :)

              Dayton
              http://www.daytonward.com

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 2, 2012
                What "recent developments"?

                I'm currently on Vanguard #3 as I re-read my way through the series before
                reading the last books and the series finale (I think I've only read the
                first 5 before, it's been a while.)

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 2, 2012
                  I'm certain that it is a plot point in the last book that he didn't want to
                  spoil us on. I'm still working my way towards that book as well and I
                  can't wait to read it.

                  Carl

                  On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 11:35 AM, bj <bjones44@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > What "recent developments"?
                  >
                  > I'm currently on Vanguard #3 as I re-read my way through the series before
                  > reading the last books and the series finale (I think I've only read the
                  > first 5 before, it's been a while.)
                  > bj

                • Dayton Ward
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 2, 2012
                    <<What "recent developments"?>>

                    You'll just have to read and see :)

                    Dayton
                    http://www.daytonward.com

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 2, 2012
                      Oh, OK -- if it's about what's *in* the book.
                      I was worried there was some problem with the publishing or something!

                      I'm reading, I'm reading!

                      I must be getting old, I don't seem able to do the long reading-stretches
                      I used to do....but then, the books do last longer that way. :-)

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 3, 2012
                        I think I'm going to re-read them too before I get to the final book - it's been a long time since I read one - I make myself wait a while between each one even after it comes out!!! That way I always have something to look forward to and now the events are kind of fuzzy from back at the beginning. I read for long stretches at a time but I read sooo many different kinds of books so it takes me a while to work around to all the Trek books. Lots of Vanguard to look forward to though!!! Reesa

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 4, 2012
                          With "series" books, I've also tended to wait awhile -- & recently if I wait
                          more than a *little* while I end up having to start all over anyway -- many
                          events are fuzzy, & even those for those that ring a bell (faint or
                          otherwise) I don't remember details & sometimes even "how it comes out"
                          so it's no hardship to reread. :-)

                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 4, 2012
                            Ha - yeah somehow the old gray matter doesn't retain info like it used to!!! Maybe I need to wear that spiked helmet Dr. McCoy wore when he worked on Spock's brain in TOS ep of the same title!!!! Reesa