Mission Gamma Book 2 This Gray Spirit

  • Trevor
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20, 2012
      I just finished reading John Peel's "Here There Be Dragons" (TNG #28, December 1993) and then I read the Hardy Boys Casefiles #37 "Danger Zone" (March 1990), with both books being simply fantastic and Classics in both of their respective series. Now I'm onto "Mission Gamme Book 2: This Gray Spirit" (DS9 Season 8, September 2002); hard to believe that it's been nearly 10 years since the book was released.

      Let's see, 10 years ago when TGS was issued the big things in Trek were:

      Star Trek Nemesis was going to be opening in theaters in December.

      Star Trek The Next Generation was being released on DVD and it was the first major show to release season sets, whereas most major (and minor) TV shows being released on DVD back in 2002 and before were either releasing "Best Of" collections or they were issuing the shows on multi-volume sets (such as Star Trek TOS's 40 Volume set).

      Star Trek Deep Space Nine was headed for DVD at the beginning of 2003, a mere 4 years after it had signed off the air, and exactly 10 years after it had debutted on TV, one of the first non-kids shows to hit DVD that quickly (of course other "newer" shows would follow suit).

      Anyway, I read "Twilight" back in the fall of 2004 when I was attending college, after having read since 2002 "Avatar", the Section 31 book, Gateway's DS9 entry (just the novel, I wouldn't read the conclusion till I got the paperback of Gateways 7 for Christmas in 2003), "The Lives Of Dac" and "Rising Son". Since then I've read the rest of the Season 8/9 books mostly in publication order, but I've still been jumping around with the early Season 8 books. So I'm back to Mission Gamma, which I still have to finish 2, 3 and 4, plus the "Left Hand of Destiny" duology. I started "This Gray Spirit" about 2 years ago, but I never got past page 50,and I don't remember much of what happened, so I'm just restarting at page 1 and going through.

      Trevor
    • akinssr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 20, 2012
        Talk about a blast from the past!!! I enjoyed the "Mission Gamma" books. Generally, I've enjoyed all the DS9 novels. I have the dvds from all the Trek shows except "Voyager" which I've yet to get into. I'd love to have the remastered TOS dvds but that will have to wait. In the meantime I'm just glad to have them on dvd at all. I saw where Star Trek the latest movie was on a few nights ago but I hate to watch movies like that with commercials!! Somehow it's just not the same. Anyway - thanks for the stroll down memory lane. Reesa

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2013
          Hard to believe, but I only finished "This Gray Spirit" about two weeks ago. Thinking back on "Twilight" and Spirit, I think the books really should've been divided into 2 books each, so instead of a 4-part series, we would've ended up with a 6-part series, since I found with those two books just dragged during the center chapters, and I actually put Spirit down again last year when I was half-way through?

          Anyway since finishing I've managed to finish "Cathedral" and "Lesser Evil". Both were blasts, and really picked up he pace. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to re-read "Unity"! It really felt like the authors and editors were entering the last six episodes of the season and were getting setup for a major season-ender and were trying to get all the viewers that they could.

          The DS9 stories of late (meaning the new Typhon Pact books), just haven't felt as smooth or well put together as "Cathedral", "Lesser Evil", "Unity" and up to "Soul Key" ("Rising Son" feels more like a filler episode, sure it fills in Jake's story, but I remember it felt more like that episode with the baseball card). Plus the jumps of years and months hasn't helped the story, and I'm afraid that whenever the Ascendant's story is finished, it's going to end up rushed and feeling like the "Romulan War" books rather than these early DS9 Season 8 books.

          Trevor