DS9 "Devil in the Sky" by Greg Cox and John Gregory Betancourt

  • akinssr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 8, 2012
      Just finished this and really enjoyed it!! You know you've got talented writers when they can make you feel sad for a mother horta separated from her eggs!!! I was so caught up in it and so depressed by the horta's pain til I had to give myself a mental shake!!! Just imagine the excitement when a batch of horta eggs hatch on DS9 and begin eating!! Meanwhile - Kira, Bashir and Dax are off on a mission to rescue the mother horta who's been kidnapped by the Cardassians - who else!! I like the play on the title too - a reference to TOS ep "Devil in the Dark" which is where we first meet the hortas. This is a really good read! Reesa

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 8, 2012
        Looks like fun!
        I'll have to add it to my list.

        Just finished this and really enjoyed it!! You know you've got talented
        writers when they can make you feel sad for a mother horta separated from
        her eggs!!! I was so caught up in it and so depressed by the horta's pain
        til I had to give myself a mental shake!!! Just imagine the excitement when
        a batch of horta eggs hatch on DS9 and begin eating!! Meanwhile - Kira,
        Bashir and Dax are off on a mission to rescue the mother horta who's been
        kidnapped by the Cardassians - who else!! I like the play on the title
        too - a reference to TOS ep "Devil in the Dark" which is where we first meet
        the hortas. This is a really good read! Reesa

        [
      • Keith R. A. DeCandido
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 8, 2012
          That was actually the first TREK novel by both Cox -- who would go on to
          do such classics as the Q-CONTINUUM trilogy and the Khan books (THE
          EUGENICS WARS duology and TO REIGN IN HELL) -- and Betancourt -- who did a
          few more here and there, including one of the DOUBLE HELIX books.

          I'm good friends with both, and I was actually working with John as his
          assistant for the book packager Byron Preiss when they got the contract.

          ---Keith
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 14, 2012
            OK y'all have convinced me -- I'll take a break from Strange New Worlds
            (just finished VI) & read this next. Does look like fun!

            Maybe it'll take my mind off some medical tests that make me feel kinda
            ratty.

            (also maybe I'll dig out the DVD w/ the TOS ep in it....that mind-meld gives
            a whole new meaning to "talking to a rock" -- & rip it over to my iPad)

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 18, 2012
              I broke out in a laugh in the Nuclear Med waiting room the other day --
              not generally a hilarious sort of place, the clerk gave me a puzzled look --
              when I got to the part with Jake & Nog about "I don't think chairs are
              going to cut it...."

              I don't think this was *intended* as a comedy but it sure has plenty of
              laugh-inducing parts. Baby Hortas rampaging hungrily through the station!
              sounds just like a bunch of unruly puppies (one of mine used to enjoy
              rug-fringes) let loose in a bacon store (or the slipper closet.)

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 18, 2012
                Oh yeah that was so funny!! I could just picture them too!!! Reesa

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 20, 2012
                  Well, I romped to the end this morning -- loved it!

                  It was more suitably timed reading than I realized -- until the remark
                  about "spilled nuclear waste" -- I'm off today to spend some quality time
                  under a Gamma Camera to see what/if/how much/where I might have uptake of
                  some of the nuclear waste (I-131) I had the other day. Gamma, DS9, nuclear,
                  radiation....I'm feeling right in tune with it....

                  Loved the way Sisco (ever-so-politely) gave that sanctimonious Vedek some
                  well-deserved come-uppance. I hope DS9 puts in for royalties on the mineral
                  rights. :-)