"The Sorrows of Empire" by David Mack

  • akinssr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 4, 2011
      Just finished this novel and did not want it to end!!! I'm not a big fan of the mirror universe, but I LOVE the alternate Spock. I find his relationship with Marlena so.......well....fascinating!! But that word really fits because over the years we've not seen much of the truly personal side of Spock. David Mack does a great job of showing how Spock developed his vision of a more benign empire and saw it through to its end. In spite of his best efforts, Spock becomes that which he tries so hard to avoid and watching him deal with the results makes for a page turner. I'm so glad David was given the chance to further develop his short story of the same title into this novel. Reesa

    • infinitydogalpha
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 4, 2011
        Reesa,

        I'm glad to hear how much you enjoyed the novel-length version of The Sorrows of Empire. If you haven't already done so, I hope you'll read the other Mirror Universe stories set in the same continuity, in the anthologies Glass Empires, Obsidian Alliances, and Shards and Shadows.

        Then get ready for the sequel to The Sorrows of Empire --- Star Trek Mirror Universe: Rise Like Lions, coming this December.

        - David Mack
      • Trevor
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 5, 2011
          I was just on Amazon.ca and I saw the cover for the book, plus the write-up. If I'm reading it correctly, it sounds like you are jumping forward to possible sometime just after the DS9 novel "The Soul Key", but before the Typhon Pact novels? Plus, while the write-up didn't say anything about the mirror-Picard, he seems to be somehow involved in the story, if his prominent appearance on the cover is any indication.

          Trevor

          --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, "infinitydogalpha" <davidmack@...> wrote:
          > Then get ready for the sequel to The Sorrows of Empire --- Star Trek Mirror Universe: Rise Like Lions, coming this December.
          >
          > - David Mack

        • infinitydogalpha
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 5, 2011
            --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, "Trevor" <tomswift2002@...> wrote:

            > I was just on Amazon.ca and I saw the cover for the book, plus the write-up. If I'm reading it correctly, it sounds like you are jumping forward to possible sometime just after the DS9 novel "The Soul Key", but before the Typhon Pact novels? Plus, while the write-up didn't say anything about the mirror-Picard, he seems to be somehow involved in the story, if his prominent appearance on the cover is any indication.

            All correct. The story builds on and continues from the events in THE SOUL KEY, as well as those in the anthologies GLASS EMPIRES, OBSIDIAN ALLIANCES, and SHARDS AND SHADOWS. Picard is a significant player in the story, though it's really more of an ensemble piece, regardless of the back cover copy.
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 5, 2011
              I read some of the anthology stories -- don't think I finished all of them
              before getting distracted into another track!

              Is the novel an expansion of the anthology version? or how to they "relate"
              to each other?

              I'm currently into SCE, & have a few other ideas for my next batch, but it
              never hurts to stash away some ideas.

              Thanks for some really fun reads.

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 5, 2011
                --- "bj" <bjones44@...> wrote:

                > Is the novel an expansion of the anthology version?
                > or how to they "relate" to each other?

                The full-length, standalone novel version of THE SORROWS OF EMPIRE is an expansion and partial revision of the original short novel in the GLASS EMPIRES anthology. The novel is more than twice the length of the original, and goes more in-depth with the supporting characters and some subplots. It directly sets up the sequel, RISE LIKE LIONS.

                - David Mack
              • Mary Jane Hetzlein
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 6, 2011
                  It is one of the most wonderful Star Trek books I have ever read. I am eagerly awaiting what I am sure will be the best Christmas present ever, the sequel, Rise like Lions.

                  Are there going to be more??

                  No one ever said I wasn't greedy<G>

                  Mary Jane

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 6, 2011
                    I agree, Mary Jane, it's one of the best Star Trek books in my library as well!! Reesa

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 7, 2011
                      OK, thanks for the explanation.
                      When I get back into the Mirror Uni I'll know where to get started-over-at.
                      From what I see in recent messages, it'll be a nice big pile to get going
                      on!