Romulan destiny in books (possible spoilers)

  • Ian Mcfarlane
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 17, 2011
      Since Paramount via JJ Abrams has established that Romulus gets destroyed in 2387, are there future plans for Pocket Books to start steering stories in that direction?

      I know that the Countdown comic tie in written by the writers of the Star Trek 11 film established that Picard became an ambassador and there were hints dropped in "Paths of Disharmony" that he was considering that career path.

      Not only that but B-4 makes a comeback as captain of a new Enterprise.

      There are very rich stories that can come in the wake of this stuff.

      Sent from my iPhone
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 22, 2011
        Vulcan's Soul trilogy has a lot of background on Romulans.
        I'd hate to spoil anyone's fun by revealing it but it really is
        quite...fascinating.
        :-)

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 22, 2011
          Hints that talk about their future? Weren't those book written before the JJ Abrams star trekfilm?

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 22, 2011
            No -- *background*.
            I haven't gotten into the "reboot" stories (or watched the film), but unless
            they're ignoring all the past Romulan character & history that background
            might be of interest.

            Hints that talk about their future? Weren't those book written before the JJ
            Abrams star trekfilm?

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Jul 22, 2011, at 1:25 PM, bj <bjones44@...> wrote:

            > Vulcan's Soul trilogy has a lot of background on Romulans.
            > I'd hate to spoil anyone's fun by revealing it but it really is
            > quite...fascinating.
            > :-)
            > bj

          • Queco Jones
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 22, 2011
              I remember a book I bought a few years ago that collected a few novels starting with "The Romulan Way" that had ,lots of good background as well. IIRC, it was 4 novels. What I can't remember is the title. :(

              When I switched over to eBooks completely, I donated most of my pb collection to my local library so I can't check for the title. It was a larger tha normal pb. Quite thick as well. Like the MU books. It can't be more than 4-6 years old I think.

              Conrado Bermúdez (aka Queco Jones)
              http://about.me/quecojones - Sent from my .

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 22, 2011
                >I remember a book I bought a few years ago that collected a few
                >novels starting with "The Romulan Way" that had ,lots of good
                >background as well. IIRC, it was 4 novels. What I can't remember is
                >the title. :(

                It was called RIHANNSU: THE BLOODWING VOYAGES, and it collected MY
                ENEMY, MY ALLY (1984), THE ROMULAN WAY (1987), and SWORDHUNT and
                HONOR BLADE (2000), and was released simultaneously with the final
                book, THE EMPTY CHAIR, in 2007.

                ---Keith
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 23, 2011
                  Since the Vulcan's Soul Trilogy (2004-2007) deals with "newly discovered
                  material" (post-Dominion War? Oh dear, I've already forgotten that detail!
                  but Chekov is "older" anyway) the earlier Romulan books wouldn't have had
                  that to go on, though they might have included references to "Romulan
                  history" -- but that history got rather upended in VS along with more
                  background on Vulcans & their history.

                  I haven't read those older books in a while & can't remember if I read Empty
                  Chair so I don't know if anything that came out of VS is reflected there.

                  I'm nearly finished with (audiobook) Sarek; haven't decided what comes next.

                  Anyway, VS explains a lot about Romulans & (IMO) howcome they are the way
                  they are -- and also something about those military uniforms (the ones with
                  the big padded shoulders.)

                  Compare their beginnings to, say, how the US got started -- and how
                  different our "national character" is; I think how-it-started has a lot to
                  do with why Americans are the way we are -- & similarly with the Romulans:
                  I could see certain events coming in the narrative & got a bunch of "Ah Ha"
                  moments about the Romulans "NO WONDER they're like that!"

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 23, 2011
                    I think that The Vulcan trilogy is worth reading. However, I am less keen on the Rihannsu books since there is stuff in them that I don't think fits in with later modern pocket books continuity.

                    But I guess that no one really had an answer to my question about the future of Romulus as potrayed by the new Trek film.

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On Jul 23, 2011, at 1:23 PM, bj <bjones44@...> wrote:

                    > Since the Vulcan's Soul Trilogy (2004-2007) deals with "newly discovered
                    > material" (post-Dominion War? Oh dear, I've already forgotten that detail!
                    > but Chekov is "older" anyway) the earlier Romulan books wouldn't have had
                    > that to go on, though they might have included references to "Romulan
                    > history" -- but that history got rather upended in VS along with more
                    > background on Vulcans & their history.
                    >
                    > I haven't read those older books in a while & can't remember if I read Empty
                    > Chair so I don't know if anything that came out of VS is reflected there.
                    >
                    > I'm nearly finished with (audiobook) Sarek; haven't decided what comes next.
                    >
                    > Anyway, VS explains a lot about Romulans & (IMO) howcome they are the way
                    > they are -- and also something about those military uniforms (the ones with
                    > the big padded shoulders.)
                    >
                    > Compare their beginnings to, say, how the US got started -- and how
                    > different our "national character" is; I think how-it-started has a lot to
                    > do with why Americans are the way we are -- & similarly with the Romulans:
                    > I could see certain events coming in the narrative & got a bunch of "Ah Ha"
                    > moments about the Romulans "NO WONDER they're like that!"
                    > bj

                  • Andrew Brown
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 6, 2011

                      > Since the Vulcan's Soul Trilogy (2004-2007) deals with "newly discovered material"
                      > (post-Dominion War? Oh dear, I've already forgotten that detail! but
                      > Chekov is "older" anyway) the earlier Romulan books wouldn't have had that
                      > to go on, though they might have included references to "Romulan history"
                      > -- but that history got rather upended in VS along with more background on
                      > Vulcans & their history.

                      > I haven't read those older books in a while & can't remember if I read
                      > Empty Chair so I don't know if anything that came out of VS is reflected
                      > there. I'm nearly finished with (audiobook) Sarek; haven't decided what
                      > comes next. Anyway, VS explains a lot about Romulans & (IMO) howcome they
                      > are the way they are -- and also something about those military uniforms
                      > (the ones with the big padded shoulders.)

                      > Compare their beginnings to, say, how the US got started -- and how different
                      > our "national character" is; I think how-it-started has a lot to do with
                      > why Americans are the way we are -- & similarly with the Romulans: I could
                      > see certain events coming in the narrative & got a bunch of "Ah Ha"moments
                      > about the Romulans "NO WONDER they're like that!"
                      > bj

                      Now you have me interested in reading the rest of the Vulcan trilogy. I read
                      the first and because I am such a huge fan of 'The Romulan Way' and Duane's
                      take on Romulans, making them into such a truly compelling, fascinating, *
                      alien* people, I was not keen on the Vulcan books rewriting that "history".
                      Plus, it did re-write some famous characters' history too. I was just at
                      Polaris 25 in Toronto in mid July (where I met and got a book signed by the
                      apparently super-caffeinated KRAD! :D) and got a steal on some books, ST
                      paperbacks for $0.10 each. I got 26. :D I cannot remember which ones, but
                      perhaps the Vulcan trilogy is in there. If not, I'll trawl the second-hand
                      bookstores again.

                      I just remember finding that I was not keen on the new approach to the
                      Romulans; they seemed less alien and unique and thus less appealing and
                      interesting. I want my aliens to be alien; we obviously still have to relate
                      to them as people, but their society shgould be plausible and also
                      non-Human. Aliens who are just Humans with pointy ears, nose ridges, or
                      weird heads, are boring.

                      Andy

                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 6, 2011
                        > Since the Vulcan's Soul Trilogy (2004-2007) deals with "newly discovered
                        > material"
                        > (post-Dominion War? Oh dear, I've already forgotten that detail! but
                        > Chekov is "older" anyway) the earlier Romulan books wouldn't have had that
                        > to go on, though they might have included references to "Romulan history"
                        > -- but that history got rather upended in VS along with more background on
                        > Vulcans & their history.

                        > I haven't read those older books in a while & can't remember if I read
                        > Empty Chair so I don't know if anything that came out of VS is reflected
                        > there. I'm nearly finished with (audiobook) Sarek; haven't decided what
                        > comes next. Anyway, VS explains a lot about Romulans & (IMO) howcome they
                        > are the way they are -- and also something about those military uniforms
                        > (the ones with the big padded shoulders.)

                        > Compare their beginnings to, say, how the US got started -- and how
                        > different
                        > our "national character" is; I think how-it-started has a lot to do with
                        > why Americans are the way we are -- & similarly with the Romulans: I could
                        > see certain events coming in the narrative & got a bunch of "Ah Ha"moments
                        > about the Romulans "NO WONDER they're like that!"
                        > bj

                        Now you have me interested in reading the rest of the Vulcan trilogy. I read
                        the first and because I am such a huge fan of 'The Romulan Way' and Duane's
                        take on Romulans, making them into such a truly compelling, fascinating, *
                        alien* people, I was not keen on the Vulcan books rewriting that "history".
                        Plus, it did re-write some famous characters' history too. I was just at
                        Polaris 25 in Toronto in mid July (where I met and got a book signed by the
                        apparently super-caffeinated KRAD! :D) and got a steal on some books, ST
                        paperbacks for $0.10 each. I got 26. :D I cannot remember which ones, but
                        perhaps the Vulcan trilogy is in there. If not, I'll trawl the second-hand
                        bookstores again.

                        I just remember finding that I was not keen on the new approach to the
                        Romulans; they seemed less alien and unique and thus less appealing and
                        interesting. I want my aliens to be alien; we obviously still have to relate
                        to them as people, but their society shgould be plausible and also
                        non-Human. Aliens who are just Humans with pointy ears, nose ridges, or
                        weird heads, are boring.

                        Andy

                        I don't know how acceptably "alien" you would find the Romulans from VS.
                        I just thought VS explained a lot about why they are what they are --
                        I found the background on societal character development very interesting --
                        and see some parallels with certain traits in human societies.

                        Just as we all know people who are rather "Ferengi-like" in their outlook,
                        we know people who have the same kind of attitude many/most Romulans have --
                        it's just that in ST there are whole societies built on those character
                        traits as "prevailing winds" (i.e. there are exceptions, like Ferengi Rom
                        but in general the XYZ-people have such&such characteristics), or social
                        movements or sects within the larger social system. Knowing something of the
                        history of the society & its development can often explain, or at least make
                        some sense of, whatever those traits are.
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 6, 2011
                          >I was just at
                          >Polaris 25 in Toronto in mid July (where I met and got a book signed by the
                          >apparently super-caffeinated KRAD! :D)

                          Nope -- I had just the normal amount of caffeine.... ;)

                          ---Keith