Children of The Storm etc...

  • Ian McFarlane
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2011
      I had taken a break from reading Trek novels in recent months while I plowed
      through the Games Of Thrones series that I discovered las year.

      Also, I was not so happy with Paths of Disharmony so after I got half way
      through, I took a break from Trek.

      I got back into the fray with the Voyager hook "Children of the Storm" and
      what a pleasant surprise. I have not yet finished it but I highly recommend
      it.

      It's a return to that classic Starfleet style of story telling. Scientific
      mysteries, lots of action and great characterizations. And somehow Kirsten
      Beyer manages to tell the stories of multiple ships in the 9 ship Delta
      Quandrant Starfleet fleet. Amazing!

      Blind Man Bluff by Peter David is also another rollickingly good read and
      the latest Vanguard stories are also out.

      I purchased all 3 as eBooks for convenience and I must say that I am getting
      into the whole eBook thing particularly with the iBooks app which has
      actual flipping page simulations!

      Just thought I'd share these thoughts with y'all.

      iMac

    • writer021@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2011
        I recently had the pleasure of reading Children of the Storm. However, I had to put it down several times because I was getting headaches from the excitement! lol

        I also finished "Indistinguishable From Magic". I find some people's complaints about the novel lacking any real personal development surprising, because I was hooked from the get-go! It kept moving at a good quick pace without excessive technical detail that can confuse some readers, and so many cool characters that we haven't seen in too long returned in this story, and . . . .

        . . . . the final passing of Scotty was as heroic as I could imagine for this remarkable character. He went the way I think he would've wanted. But even as Spock noted, 'there are always possibilities'.

        So I'm rather looking forward to the next TNG novel! (By the way, when is Beverly scheduled to deliver her child with Jean-Luc?)

        Camren T. Burton
        writer021@...

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2011
          I'm glad somebody chimed in with some current reading -- I was about to post
          a message about what I may read next, and ask for suggestions, as I'm coming
          down the home stretch with one of the suggested lists KRAD gave me. Probably
          finish Resistance in the next few days (I've got visitors this weekend.)

          Children & Magic are both on my list of possibles, if I don't get diverted
          into (re)reading some of the books at the end of another KRAD list that
          follow a theme or two I've been pursuing.

          Or maybe I'll veer off & do some Vulcans -- I've been doing some of those in
          audiobooks.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2011
            Does anyone have a good source for unabridged ST audiobooks? I'm an Audible member but, unfortunately, most of their ST audiobooks are abridged. :(

            I'll get them on CD if I must but I'd rather just download them if I can. I've been getting my books via the Kindle app but my eye is starting to go and it gets harder and harder to get through each book.

            TIA,
            -----
            Conrado  Bermúdez (aka Queco Jones)
            http://about.me/quecojones - Sent from my iPad.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 2011
              Not d/l but CDs -- I got one from Recorded Books; not cheap.
              They have (on recent search) just the Vulcan's Soul Trilogy & the new movie
              tie-in book listed.

              I'm currently listening to VST3, unabridged, that I got from Audible.
              They also have (non-fic) Physics of ST unabridged.

              I like the abridged versions at Audible -- not just that they're abridged
              but that they're done as "dramatic productions" with sound effects, music,
              etc.

              I got a lot of Audible books a few months ago when they had them on sale,
              so it's worth keeping an eye out on that score.

              I think I have pretty much everything that Audible or Amazon has in
              ST-audio, as well as some others that I got in iTunes, added to a few on CD
              & a couple on tape.

              Since the supply of CD or d/l ST audiobooks is limited & there are more that
              were done to audio, I'm going to have to start converting some from
              cassette. I don't know why the audio-publishers don't do more of them --
              instead of making *me* do the conversion work. :-) It's not like the
              audiobook version hasn't already been done, after all.

              I have one that I got as a gift -- both the tape & a USB of the conversion;
              it's a book that's out in CD but impossible to actually find, thus the
              resort to tape since I really wanted that one ("Relics"). I know what I'm
              putting on my wish-list again this year!

              Does anyone have a good source for unabridged ST audiobooks? I'm an Audible
              member but, unfortunately, most of their ST audiobooks are abridged. :(

              I'll get them on CD if I must but I'd rather just download them if I can.
              I've been getting my books via the Kindle app but my eye is starting to go
              and it gets harder and harder to get through each book.

              TIA,
              -----
              Conrado  Bermúdez (aka Queco Jones)
              http://about.me/quecojones - Sent from my iPad.

              On Jul 1, 2011, at 5:39 PM, "bj" <bjones44@...> wrote:

              > Or maybe I'll veer off & do some Vulcans -- I've been doing some of those
              > in
              > audiobooks.
              > bj

            • Trevor
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 2, 2011
                I just finished "Children Of The Storm" last night, and I found that it was a great book to get the Trek series back on track after the disaster of "Indistinguishable From Magic". (I haven't read "Watching The Clock" yet.) Of course, I was surprised that no one on Voyager mentioned Reg Barclay returning to the Alpha Quadrant for IFM.

                I would give "Children Of The Storm" an 8.5/10.

                Trevor

                --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, Ian McFarlane <mackiedoo@...> wrote:

                > I had taken a break from reading Trek novels in recent months while I plowed
                > through the Games Of Thrones series that I discovered las year.
                >

                > Also, I was not so happy with Paths of Disharmony so after I got half way
                > through, I took a break from Trek.
                >

                > I got back into the fray with the Voyager hook "Children of the Storm" and
                > what a pleasant surprise. I have not yet finished it but I highly recommend
                > it.
                >
                > It's a return to that classic Starfleet style of story telling. Scientific
                > mysteries, lots of action and great characterizations. And somehow Kirsten
                > Beyer manages to tell the stories of multiple ships in the 9 ship Delta
                > Quandrant Starfleet fleet. Amazing!
                >

                > Blind Man Bluff by Peter David is also another rollickingly good read and
                > the latest Vanguard stories are also out.
                >

                > I purchased all 3 as eBooks for convenience and I must say that I am getting
                > into the whole eBook thing particularly with the iBooks app which has
                > actual flipping page simulations!
                >

                > Just thought I'd share these thoughts with y'all.
                >

                > iMac

              • Queco Jones
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 2, 2011
                  I read the VST a while back (good read) but I haven't read Relics. I'll add it it to my list. I just started Typhon Pact #1 (just finished the last Vanguard book).

                  It's getting harder to keep track of each series and which book I should read next. Especially the way some books seem to lead right into the next one from another series. I try using the info at Memory Beta but it's still a bit confusing sometimes. It always takes me a while to remember if I've already read that book or the other one.

                  I've heard a couple of the abridged books and like the production but, I was always under the impression that one misses out on the abridged versions. Was I mistaken? Is there a huge difference?
                  -----

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 5, 2011
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 5, 2011
                      On Jul 5, 2011, at 5:52 PM, "bj" <bjones44@...> wrote:

                      > Relics is the ep from STNG with Scottie in it & I've always enjoyed seeing
                      >>
                      > it -- and since I have seen it so often (I think I've read the novelization,
                      > too) I could easily visualize it as the audiobook went along. I just think
                      > it's a lot of fun, and I do like Scottie -- I'm glad they got him into the
                      > NG-etc time frame!

                      Oh, OK. I don't usually read novelizations unless there's something in the episode that I didn't understand or I felt there should have been more of. In those cases, I find the novelizations help fill in the blanks.

                      >> Amazon recaps & reviews are
                      > very helpful with this.

                      I'll try that, thanks for the tip.

                      > The upside is that I'll never run out of something that I want to read!

                      Ditto!

                      > I think it all requires a sort of diagram/chart with lots of arrows & links
                      > & pointers as series "cross".

                      Something like that would rock! If I had the coding skills (and minions to help with the research), I'd write an app for that.

                      > I've heard a couple of the abridged books and like the production but, I
                      >> was always under the impression that one misses out on the abridged
                      >> versions. Was I mistaken? Is there a huge difference?
                      >>
                      > In any case, there isn't usually a choice with the ST books I've found --
                      > it's either one or the other & I take what I can get where I can get it.
                      > bj

                      Good point.

                      Conrado Bermúdez (aka Queco Jones)
                      http://about.me/quecojones - Sent from my .

                    • Allyn Gibson
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 6, 2011
                        On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 22:29:39 -0400, Queco Jones wrote:

                        > I don't usually read novelizations unless there's something in the
                        > episode that I didn't understand or I felt there should have been more
                        > of. In those cases, I find the novelizations help fill in the blanks.

                        RELICS is one of the more enjoyable novelizations. Michael Jan Friedman
                        gives more backstory on how and why Scotty was on the Jenolen (and how he
                        saved himself), and he expands the holodeck scene in an interesting way.
                        Friedman also does what the episode should have done -- the Enterprise has
                        just found a Dyson Sphere, they should be exploring it! :)

                        Allyn
                        --
                        "Made of awesome and Guinness and bright shiny pennies..."
                        http://www.allyngibson.net/