[Star Trek Books] Pocket Books 45 - Double, Double

  • Andrew Brown
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 27, 2011
      As far as I can tell this book is no loner in print and definitely not on
      the bookstore shelves.

      Question: This book is only available through Amazon (and such like). If I
      buy it there does Michael Jan Friedman get any revenue from the $1.76 to
      $11.76 for the second-hand book or the $6.79 post and packaging?

      Andy

    • Allyn Gibson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 27, 2011
        On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 20:44:32 -0500, Andrew Brown wrote:

        > Question: This book is only available through Amazon (and such like).
        > If I buy it there does Michael Jan Friedman get any revenue from
        > the $1.76 to $11.76 for the second-hand book or the $6.79post and
        > packaging?

        Sadly, no. Authors only receive royalties (or sales that count toward
        earning out for royalties) on new copies sold. Used and remaindered books
        don't kick money back toward the author.

        Allyn
        --
        "Made of awesome and Guinness and bright shiny pennies..."
        http://www.allyngibson.net/

      • Andrew Brown
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 27, 2011

          > Sadly, no. Authors only receive royalties (or sales that count
          > toward earning out for royalties) on new copies sold. Used and remaindered
          > books don't kick money back toward the author.

          Thanks Allyn. Is there any way to buy an old book like this which will get
          money back to its author?

          Andy

        • Allyn Gibson
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 27, 2011
            On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 21:11:15 -0500, Andrew Brown wrote:

            > Thanks Allyn. Is there any way to buy an old book like this which will
            > get money back to its author?

            Not really.

            Though if you ever make it to Farpoint or Shore Leave, two conventions
            that Friedman always attends, you could always toss him a quarter to make
            up for the lost royalty on the used book. :)

            Allyn

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 27, 2011

              > Not really.

              > Though if you ever make it to Farpoint or Shore Leave, two conventions that
              > Friedman always attends, you could always toss him a quarter to make up for
              > the lost royalty on the used book. :)

              Andy *grins*

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 28, 2011
                You could also write the publisher to say what a great author he is & to
                please publish more of his books!

                Letters of glowing compliments to employers can't hurt. :-)

                > On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 21:11:15 -0500, Andrew Brown wrote:
                >
                >> Thanks Allyn. Is there any way to buy an old book like this which will
                >> get money back to its author?
                >
                > Not really.
                >
                > Though if you ever make it to Farpoint or Shore Leave, two conventions
                > that Friedman always attends, you could always toss him a quarter to make
                > up for the lost royalty on the used book. :)

              • Trevor
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 28, 2011
                  Well, the book is still "in print" as an ebook (Adobe format and Kobo) and Michael Jan Friedman would get royalties from any sales of the ebook version.

                  Trevor

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 28, 2011
                    I've re-bought several books that I already had in DTB form (as often as not
                    bought new in the first place). I read Kindle versions (of both those "old"
                    books & the new ones coming out) on my iPad, often on my exercycle. Sure
                    does make the time fly!