CORONA (#15) by Greg Bear (TOS)

  • Linda Wrage
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23, 2010
      I recently read "Corona" by Greg Bear, copyright April 1984. This is a rather short book -- only 192 pages. I really enjoyed it -- the action moves along really well, and I thought all the characters were done well.

      This is what the back of the book says: "An awesome, sentient force of protostars -- Corona -- has taken control of a stranded team of Vulcan scientists. The Enterprise has come on a rescue mission, with a female reporter and a new computer that can override Kirk's command. Suddenly, the rescuers must save themselves and the entire Universe -- before Corona unleashes a Big Bang!" At first I thought that sounded a little corny, but the book was done really well and the story was interesting.

      The female reporter, Rowena Mason, was from a remote planet that was populated by only humans. She had never been off her planet before, so she had a lot of prejudices to overcome in order to relate to other species. The "new computer" was interesting. It was programmed with the experiences of former Starfleet captains in order to make sure that the actual captain was following correct procedures. (I wonder why they thought Captain Kirk needed that -- heh heh.)

      In the beginning of the book, it was kind of funny -- Uhura kept calling Mason "honey." As in "Welcome home, honey" and "Honey, he's the captain." I don't believe I've EVER heard Uhura call anybody "honey." Maybe I'm just forgetting, but I just don't remember ever hearing that in any of the episodes.

      Linda W. (Now reading "Dark Mirror" by Diane Duane. I'm only on Chapter 5 so far, but I'm really liking it!)