In case you haven't seen this

  • Brenda Zimmerlee
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 28, 2010
      Sorry for all the copies to those of us who are on all of these listserves.

      I thought you might find this letter from Gene Roddenberry to his agent in 1965 defending his pilot episode of Star Trek to be as exciting and amazing as I did.  There are two extra special things about this letter,

      1. Gene's discussion about adding an 11 year old child to the series (Wesley?) and

      2. The secretary who typed the letter (the initials at the end of the letter) dcf (D C Fontana?)  Enjoy:

      http://io9.com/5700126/gene-roddenberry-defends-the-rejected-pilot-for-star-trek-in-this-unearthed-letter/gallery/

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 28, 2010
        From: "Brenda Zimmerlee" <brenzi1425@...>
        Subject: [Star Trek Books] In case you haven't seen this

        > 2. The secretary who typed the letter (the initials at the end of the
        > letter) dcf (D C Fontana?) Enjoy:

        I learned about that (dcf) from listening to the audiobook version of
        Shatner's Star Trek Memories. Which BTW I found very entertaining. It also
        got me into audiobooks for walking & insomnia. :-)
        bj
      • AKINSSR@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 28, 2010
          Gene had to slog through a lot of swamp just to get Star Trek on the air and keeping it on air was another fight. From all I've read, the 50's and 60's were the "Golden Age" of television. It seems like a lot of shows from that era were intelligently written and there was a lot of risk involved as far as story concepts go. I"m so thankful Gene fought for Star Trek - it has definitely enriched my life in many ways. Letters like this one are like jumping through the Guardian of Forever - they enable us to get a glimpse of the past. Thanks for sharing. Reesa