Imzadi

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 23, 2010
      I've just started listening to Imzadi. Wesley apparently stayed in
      Starfleet for many years; he did refer to doing his "extra year" at the
      academy so that result from one of the TV eps does match up with
      "what we know...."

      Now, it's a 1993 book so maybe it was written before the ep when Wesley goes
      off to become a "traveler".

      ??
      bj
    • Ian McFarlane
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2010
        I think that we would have to chalk up a lot of the events in that book as
        taking place in an alternate time line. Those events probably hinged on
        certain things happening which in the main timeline never did.

        (That was a great book by the way.)

        IT's sort of similar to what we saw in the series finale of ST:TNG.

        (Hard to believe that that was 16 years ago!)

        iMac

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2010
          On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 06:24:22 -0400, Ian McFarlane wrote:

          > I think that we would have to chalk up a lot of the events in
          > that book as taking place in an alternate time line. Those
          > events probably hinged on certain things happening which in the
          > main timeline never did.

          Right. The point-of-departure between the "normal" timeline and the
          IMZADI-future timeline is somewhere in seasons four or five. (It's been a
          while, so I don't remember precisely.) Once Troi dies and things start
          going to hell, Wesley's life went in a direction that never brought him to
          Dorvan V.

          > It's sort of similar to what we saw in the series finale of ST:TNG.

          I once worked out a future 24th-century timeline, that took everything we
          saw in "All Good Things...," IMZADI, and a couple of other episodes,
          novels, and comics. The result was interesting; if you remove WAR OF THE
          PROPHETS, the future timelines are all largely consistent. Some of the
          details may be off, but the general direction is the same. I was reminded
          of Asimov's "line of maximum probability" in THE END OF ETERNITY.

          > (Hard to believe that that was 16 years ago!)

          Tempus fugit. :)

          Allyn
          --
          "Made of awesome and Guinness and bright shiny pennies..."
          http://www.allyngibson.net/

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2010
            > On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 06:24:22 -0400, Ian McFarlane wrote:
            >
            >> I think that we would have to chalk up a lot of the events in
            >> that book as taking place in an alternate time line. Those
            >> events probably hinged on certain things happening which in the
            >> main timeline never did.
            >
            > Right. The point-of-departure between the "normal" timeline and the
            > IMZADI-future timeline is somewhere in seasons four or five. (It's been a
            > while, so I don't remember precisely.) Once Troi dies and things start
            > going to hell, Wesley's life went in a direction that never brought him to
            > Dorvan V.
            >
            >> It's sort of similar to what we saw in the series finale of ST:TNG.
            >
            > I once worked out a future 24th-century timeline, that took everything we
            > saw in "All Good Things...," IMZADI, and a couple of other episodes,
            > novels, and comics. The result was interesting; if you remove WAR OF THE
            > PROPHETS, the future timelines are all largely consistent. Some of the
            > details may be off, but the general direction is the same. I was reminded
            > of Asimov's "line of maximum probability" in THE END OF ETERNITY.
            >
            >> (Hard to believe that that was 16 years ago!)
            >
            > Tempus fugit. :)
            >
            > Allyn
            > --

            "Temporal mechanics gives me a headache." (Janeway? among others?)

            I better just go with the flow of the story -- which I did get clear by the
            end though I had to sort it out in my mind a couple of times.
            :-)

            It *seems* that a time traveller messed with the "proper" timeline & Riker
            messed-it-back, so "all is as it was...." I think....

            Anyways, I've finished Imzadi & have "backtracked" to "The First Adventure."
            bj
          • Allyn Gibson
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 1, 2010
              On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:20:24 -0400, bj wrote:

              > It *seems* that a time traveller messed with the "proper" timeline &
              > Riker messed-it-back, so "all is as it was...." I think....

              That's right, it's basically "City on the Edge of Forever" in reverse.
              The timeline that everyone in the future lived in was the timeline that
              resulted when the Sindareen researcher went back in time and had Troi
              killed. Admiral Riker, for entirely selfish reasons, ended up restoring
              the timeline inadvertently. :)

              > Anyways, I've finished Imzadi & have "backtracked" to "The First
              > Adventure."

              Fun book. Needs a sequel. :)

              Allyn
              --
              "Made of awesome and Guinness and bright shiny pennies..."
              http://www.allyngibson.net/

            • leroyholmesjr
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 3, 2010
                Actually, there is an "Imzadi II". Different story, most of the same characters, but a good book with some twists.

                --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, "Allyn Gibson" <allyn@...> wrote:

                > On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:20:24 -0400, bj wrote:
                >
                > > It *seems* that a time traveller messed with the "proper" timeline &
                > > Riker messed-it-back, so "all is as it was...." I think....
                >
                > That's right, it's basically "City on the Edge of Forever" in reverse.
                > The timeline that everyone in the future lived in was the timeline that
                > resulted when the Sindareen researcher went back in time and had Troi
                > killed. Admiral Riker, for entirely selfish reasons, ended up restoring
                > the timeline inadvertently. :)
                >
                > > Anyways, I've finished Imzadi & have "backtracked" to "The First
                > > Adventure."
                >
                > Fun book. Needs a sequel. :)
                >
                > Allyn
                > --
                > "Made of awesome and Guinness and bright shiny pennies..."
                > http://www.allyngibson.net/

              • Allyn Gibson
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 3, 2010
                  On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 13:46:46 -0400, leroyholmesjr
                  <leroyholmesjr@...> wrote:

                  > Actually, there is an "Imzadi II". Different story, most of the same
                  > characters, but a good book with some twists.

                  I was referring to ENTERPRISE: THE FIRST ADVENTURE needing a sequel. :)

                  Allyn
                  --
                  "Made of awesome and Guinness and bright shiny pennies..."
                  http://www.allyngibson.net/

                • Andrew Brown
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 3, 2010
                    Wasn't that done? I think it was called "Star Trek". :D

                    Andy

                    On 3 October 2010 14:23, Allyn Gibson <allyn@...> wrote:

                    > On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 13:46:46 -0400, leroyholmesjr
                    > <leroyholmesjr@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Actually, there is an "Imzadi II". Different story, most of the same
                    > > characters, but a good book with some twists.
                    >
                    > I was referring to ENTERPRISE: THE FIRST ADVENTURE needing a sequel. :)
                    >
                    > Allyn
                    > --
                    > "Made of awesome and Guinness and bright shiny pennies..."
                    > http://www.allyngibson.net/

                  • Allyn Gibson
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 3, 2010
                      On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 16:04:12 -0400, Andrew Brown wrote:

                      > Wasn't that done? I think it was called "Star Trek". :D

                      Funny. :)

                      Seriously, though, I'd have liked to see more about the galactopolitical
                      situation depicted in E:TFA. I'd have liked to see another appearance by
                      the Klingon commander (was her name Koronin? It's been a long time...),
                      and I liked Spock's cousin Stephen a lot.

                      There were definitely some things in the book that could have been
                      followed up upon. :)

                      Allyn

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 7, 2010
                        Wasn't that book somehow later invalidated by other Trek books that dabbled
                        in the earlier adventures of the crew?

                        On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 16:04:12 -0400, Andrew Brown wrote:

                        > Wasn't that done? I think it was called "Star Trek". :D

                        Funny. :)

                        Seriously, though, I'd have liked to see more about the galactopolitical
                        situation depicted in E:TFA. I'd have liked to see another appearance by
                        the Klingon commander (was her name Koronin? It's been a long time...),
                        and I liked Spock's cousin Stephen a lot.

                        There were definitely some things in the book that could have been
                        followed up upon. :)

                        Allyn
                        --
                        "Made of awesome and Guinness and bright shiny pennies..."
                        http://www.allyngibson.net/

                      • Trevor
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 8, 2010
                          Are you thinking of the "My Brother's Keeper" Trilogy from 1999? That was the backstory of Kirk and Gary from the 2nd pilot.

                          Also, has anyone picked up their 2010 Reprint copy of the 1992 TNG book "Nightshade"? I just ordered a copy from Chapters, since it finally appeared on their system, with the 2010 cover, but the printing date was listed as 'December 1, 1992'.

                          Trevor

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 10, 2010
                            I think that a series of books started to conflict with Imzadi II but right
                            now all I can think of are the Shatnerverse novels which conflict with more
                            than simply Imzadi II.

                            It had to do with what supposedly happened immediately after Star Trek:
                            Generations.

                            Ian

                            <mailto:startrekbooks%40yahoogroups.com> , Ian McFarlane <mackiedoo@...>