New releases?

  • Kathy Agel
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 1, 2010
      When are the next couple of Trek books due out? I have books listed
      in my notebook that don't seem to exist. It's been a loooong time
      since my last Trek fix.

      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 1, 2010
        >Is there something I should read (or re-read) or bone up on as
        >"preparation"? What series, timeline, etc. does it use as a starting point
        >or background? Any specific suggestions?

        Just the DESTINY trilogy by David Mack for the reason why the
        political situation is what it is, and A SINGULAR DESTINY by me for
        the origin of the Typhon Pact.

        And even then, you don't =have= to read either, but those four books
        set stuff up.
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 1, 2010
          >When are the next couple of Trek books due out? I have books listed
          >in my notebook that don't seem to exist. It's been a loooong time
          >since my last Trek fix.

          The four summer months were originally supposed to have the four
          JJTrek novels by Christopher L. Bennett, Greg Cox, David R. George
          III, and David Mack, but they were cancelled at the last minute, and
          that left a hole in the schedule. The next new mass market should be
          coming out later this month.
        • Trevor
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 1, 2010
            Well there's been "Out of the Cocoon" and "What's Past" printed in July and August as the newest paper books in the SCE series (I realize that they've been in ebook for years now, but for some people the books are still "new stories" because they are just now being printed in paper).

            Trevor

            --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Agel <badkarma.one@...> wrote:

            > When are the next couple of Trek books due out? I have books listed
            > in my notebook that don't seem to exist. It's been a loooong time
            > since my last Trek fix.

          • Kathy Agel
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 1, 2010
              >The four summer months were originally supposed to have the four
              >JJTrek novels by Christopher L. Bennett, Greg Cox, David R. George
              >III, and David Mack, but they were cancelled at the last minute, and
              >that left a hole in the schedule.

              I never saw a reason posted for this. Do you know what happened? I
              was looking forward to them.

              >The next new mass market should be coming out later this month.

              Thanks, Keith -- I'll keep my eyes open for it.

            • Kathy Agel
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 1, 2010
                At 03:08 PM 9/1/2010, you wrote:

                >Well there's been "Out of the Cocoon" and "What's Past" printed in
                >July and August as the newest paper books in the SCE series (I
                >realize that they've been in ebook for years now, but for some
                >people the books are still "new stories" because they are just now
                >being printed in paper).

                Trevor, I don't read those, because I don't do e-books, and now with
                them coming out in paper, there's too much of a backstock to catch up on.

              • Kathy Agel
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 1, 2010
                  >Just the DESTINY trilogy by David Mack for the reason why the
                  >political situation is what it is, and A SINGULAR DESTINY by me for
                  >the origin of the Typhon Pact.
                  >
                  >And even then, you don't =have= to read either, but those four books
                  >set stuff up.

                  But if you don't read them, you're missing some damned fine writing,

                • David Fernau
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 1, 2010
                    I *REALLY* don't wanna start the e-reader vs dead-tree debate here
                    again, but I thought this was info people could use:

                    All 3 Typhon Pact novels are available for pre-order in Kindle edition.
                    They're (currently) priced at $7.99 each, but if the price goes down
                    before they come out, Amazon will give you the lower price. :)

                    Personally, I hate waiting for the *next* book in a trilogy or series to
                    come out, so I'm gonna wait till they're all released... that will also
                    give me time to re-read Destiny and A Singular Destiny. As Kathy said,
                    they're very well written, and thus worthy of re-reading. :D

                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 1, 2010
                      Uh, Kathy? The SCE eBooks have been coming out in paperback since 2002.

                      ---Keith R.A. DeCandido,
                      sent from my iPhone

                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 1, 2010
                        >>Is there something I should read (or re-read) or bone up on as
                        >>"preparation"? What series, timeline, etc. does it use as a starting point
                        >>or background? Any specific suggestions?
                        >
                        > Just the DESTINY trilogy by David Mack for the reason why the
                        > political situation is what it is, and A SINGULAR DESTINY by me for
                        > the origin of the Typhon Pact.
                        >
                        > And even then, you don't =have= to read either, but those four books
                        > set stuff up.

                        Thank you. I've got all those books & have even read them!

                        I went down & looked at them & the blurbs are helping to refresh my memory
                        as to the general plotlines but I still may have to re-do at least SD before
                        getting into TP. They all looks like good prospects for Kindle/exercycle & I
                        know you won't mind if I re-buy in the different format. :-)
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 1, 2010
                          >Trevor, I don't read those, because I don't do e-books, and now with
                          >them coming out in paper, there's too much of a backstock to catch up on.

                          In more depth....

                          The SCE series first came out in paper form in 2002 with HAVE TECH,
                          WILL TRAVEL and MIRACLE WORKERS. There've been several books since
                          then, coming at a mostly steady pace:

                          2003: SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED and NO SURRENDER
                          2004: FOUNDATIONS and WILDFIRE
                          2005: BREAKDOWNS
                          2007: GRAND DESIGNS and CREATIVE COUPLINGS
                          2008: WOUNDS
                          2010: OUT OF THE COCOON and WHAT'S PAST
                        • Kathy Agel
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 2, 2010
                            >Uh, Kathy? The SCE eBooks have been coming out in paperback since 2002.

                            Yes, Keith, I know -- but I didn't pick up on it until a couple of
                            years after that. Now that I'm retired and on a pension, I've had to
                            become more selective in what I buy (and in what I keep -- I resell a
                            lot of books, which enables me to buy even more), and a backstock
                            like that is just a bit too daunting.

                          • Kathy Agel
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 2, 2010
                              >All 3 Typhon Pact novels are available for pre-order in Kindle edition.

                              Besides loving the feel of a book in my hands, and the ambiance of
                              the bookstore experience (breakfast in the cafe -- the best damned
                              coffee cake you will -ever- taste! -- then browsing the shelves
                              filling up a basket with new releases, talking to the booksellers and
                              to the other patrons, then walking out with a bag full of Stuff), I
                              don't do the Kindle or the Nook, because I can't resell an e-book I
                              have no desire to keep. About the only reason I'd buy a Kindle would
                              be to download fanfic from Fanfiction.net.

                              >They're (currently) priced at $7.99 each, but if the price goes down
                              >before they come out, Amazon will give you the lower price. :)

                              But if I buy paperbacks at B&N, I get 10% off. With the number of
                              books I buy every month (large enough that I was one of that small
                              percentage that B&N rewarded with a $100 gift card last Christmas) ,
                              that 10% adds up to a significant chunk of change. In fact, I make my
                              $25 membership back in discounts within a month of renewing.

                              >Personally, I hate waiting for the *next* book in a trilogy or
                              >series to come out, so I'm gonna wait till they're all released...

                              I buy them as they come out, and they sit on my TBR bookcase in the
                              bedroom (as opposed to the 12 TBR boxes in the closet on the room
                              where I keep my parrots) until I have all of them (you can imagine my
                              impatience waiting for the "A Time To..." series to be finished), and
                              then I sit down and immerse myself.

                              >that will also give me time to re-read Destiny and A Singular
                              >Destiny. As Kathy said,
                              >they're very well written, and thus worthy of re-reading. :D

                              They're in one of my Keeper boxes. And they're what got me interested
                              enough in Enterprise to buy the series on DVD after I finished Destiny.

                            • Allyn Gibson
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 2, 2010
                                On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 19:08:50 -0400, Kathy Agel wrote:

                                >> The four summer months were originally supposed to have the four
                                >> JJTrek novels by Christopher L. Bennett, Greg Cox, David R. George
                                >> III, and David Mack, but they were cancelled at the last minute, and
                                >> that left a hole in the schedule.
                                >
                                > I never saw a reason posted for this. Do you know what happened? I
                                > was looking forward to them.

                                Pocket issued a statement at the time the books were taken off the
                                schedule (note: not canceled, just not on the schedule) that "we decided
                                to hold off on telling new stories while JJ and his team continue to
                                develop his vision."

                                http://trekmovie.com/2010/01/14/pocket-books-holding-off-on-star-trek-movie-tie-ins-4-novels-pulled-from-summer-2010/

                                I look at it like this. When Pocket knows more about what Abrams and his
                                team are doing, they have four books ready to go that they can pull off
                                the shelf. It sucks for the present, but two summers from now it could
                                reap dividends.

                                Allyn
                                --
                                "Made of awesome and Guinness and bright shiny pennies..."
                                http://www.allyngibson.net/

                              • Kathy Agel
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 2, 2010
                                  >I look at it like this. When Pocket knows more about what Abrams and his
                                  >team are doing, they have four books ready to go that they can pull off
                                  >the shelf. It sucks for the present,

                                  You are a master of understatement.

                                  >but two summers from now it could reap dividends.

                                  I hope these particular lemons become 4 gallons of lemonade.
                                  Hopefully, they won't have to be rewritten due to changes in the next
                                  installment.

                                • Trevor
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 4, 2010
                                    But, we will still be seeing at least 1 "New" story in the JJ. Abrams universe with "Star Trek: Starfleet Academy #1: The Delta Anomaly" by Rick Barba which will be published by Simon & Schuster's Children's Imprint "Simon Spotlight". "Starfleet Academy #2: The Competitive Edge" written by Rudy Josephs is scheduled for a January 2011 release.

                                    From the right ups of the series so far it sounds like the new Starfleet Academy books will be similar to the 1990's Starfleet Academy/DS9 Young Adult books that were issued by Minstrel Books, but possible aimed more at a Teen level comparable to the level the old Hardy Boys Casefiles and Nancy Drew Files series (1986-1998) were aimed at.

                                    Trevor

                                    --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, "Allyn Gibson" <allyn@...> wrote:

                                    > Pocket issued a statement at the time the books were taken off the
                                    > schedule (note: not canceled, just not on the schedule) that "we decided
                                    > to hold off on telling new stories while JJ and his team continue to
                                    > develop his vision."
                                    >
                                    > http://trekmovie.com/2010/01/14/pocket-books-holding-off-on-star-trek-movie-tie-ins-4-novels-pulled-from-summer-2010/
                                    > Allyn
                                    > --
                                  • Kathy Agel
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 4, 2010
                                      > From the right ups of the series so far it sounds like the new
                                      > Starfleet Academy books will be similar to the 1990's Starfleet
                                      > Academy/DS9 Young Adult books that were issued by Minstrel Books,
                                      > but possible aimed more at a Teen level comparable to the level the
                                      > old Hardy Boys Casefiles and Nancy Drew Files series (1986-1998) were aimed at.

                                      I've been out of that demographic for close to 40 years....

                                    • Trevor
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Sep 4, 2010
                                        Same here, although most of the time I pre-order the books through the Chapters-Indigo website here in Canada, where, unfortunately, with their card you only get 5% off (but if you buy the book right in store it is 10%, but sometimes my local Coles doesn't even get the book till about a month after its been released, or it doesn't receive the book period).

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Sep 4, 2010
                                          At 07:30 PM 9/4/2010, you wrote:

                                          >Same here, although most of the time I pre-order the books through
                                          >the Chapters-Indigo website here in Canada, where, unfortunately,
                                          >with their card you only get 5% off (but if you buy the book right
                                          >in store it is 10%, but sometimes my local Coles doesn't even get
                                          >the book till about a month after its been released, or it doesn't
                                          >receive the book period).

                                          B&N doesn't give the discount on books purchased via their website
                                          any more -- members get free express shipping with no minimum. I'd
                                          prefer the 10% -- I always took standard shipping, which was free
                                          with orders over $25, which is easy enough to reach.

                                          B&N has been pretty good about getting the Trek books as they're
                                          released, though the store here in Florida gets the books a day or so
                                          after the stores in NJ, where we used to live. Now I shop on
                                          Wednesdays instead of Tuesdays (release days). Waiting that extra
                                          day, though, when a much-anticipated book is coming out -- it can be tough.

                                        • Trevor
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Sep 4, 2010
                                            Well you should try to track down Star Trek The Next Generation Starfleet Academy #1 "Worf's First Adventure", #2 "Line Of Fire" and #3 "Survival" all by Peter David, as that trilogy acts as a prequel to the "Star Trek New Frontier" series with Zak Kebron as Worf's volatile cabin mate, Soleta, Mark McHenry and Tania Tobias as classmates.

                                            Trevor

                                            --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Agel <badkarma.one@...> wrote:

                                            > > From the right ups of the series so far it sounds like the new
                                            > > Starfleet Academy books will be similar to the 1990's Starfleet
                                            > > Academy/DS9 Young Adult books that were issued by Minstrel Books,
                                            > > but possible aimed more at a Teen level comparable to the level the
                                            > > old Hardy Boys Casefiles and Nancy Drew Files series (1986-1998) were aimed at.
                                            >
                                            > I've been out of that demographic for close to 40 years....

                                          • John Speelman
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Sep 4, 2010
                                              http://turnedpages.ecrater.com/p/8428975/worfs-first-adventure-by-peter

                                              The first book in the Star Trek: Starfleet Academy (TNG) series, directed
                                              mainly towards the young adult audience.
                                              Cadet Worf arrives at Starfleet Academy as the first Klingon to gain
                                              entrance since the Federation-Klingon, Peace Treaty. Raised on Earth by
                                              human parents, Worf wonders whether he is still a Klingon, the proud member
                                              of an honorable warrior race, or is he more human?

                                              Command-level classes fill his schedule, but nothing prepares him for his
                                              fellow cadets, among them his human foster brother. Intelligent, ambitious,
                                              and confident, the Academy cadets make life difficult for the young warrior.
                                              Worf must win over his classmates -- including the always logical Vulcans
                                              and the fierce Brikar -- even though they are still trained to think of him
                                              as the enemy.

                                              Then a routine trip to a training satellite turns into an unexpected
                                              disaster, and Worf must unite the cadets and risk his life before a terrible
                                              accident destroys the entire mission.

                                              On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Trevor <tomswift2002@...> wrote:

                                              > Well you should try to track down Star Trek The Next Generation Starfleet
                                              > Academy #1 "Worf's First Adventure", #2 "Line Of Fire" and #3 "Survival" all
                                              > by Peter David, as that trilogy acts as a prequel to the "Star Trek New
                                              > Frontier" series with Zak Kebron as Worf's volatile cabin mate, Soleta, Mark
                                              > McHenry and Tania Tobias as classmates.
                                              >
                                              > Trevor
                                              >
                                              > --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com <startrekbooks%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                              > Kathy Agel <badkarma.one@...> wrote:
                                              > >

                                              > > > From the right ups of the series so far it sounds like the new
                                              > > > Starfleet Academy books will be similar to the 1990's Starfleet
                                              > > > Academy/DS9 Young Adult books that were issued by Minstrel Books,
                                              > > > but possible aimed more at a Teen level comparable to the level the
                                              > > > old Hardy Boys Casefiles and Nancy Drew Files series (1986-1998) were
                                              > aimed at.
                                              > >
                                              > > I've been out of that demographic for close to 40 years....

                                              John "The Bear" Speelman, Proprietor
                                              Turned Pages: Used Books & More
                                              http://turnedpages.ecrater.com
                                              and
                                              http://johnthebear.blujay.com
                                              eBay sales: username "turnedpages"

                                              Jack of All Trades, Master of...well, a few...

                                              Quantumvis cursum longum fessumque moratur sol, Sacro tandem carmine vesper
                                              adest.
                                              No matter how the sun may linger on its long and weary journey,
                                              at length evening comes, with its sacred song

                                            • Kathy Agel
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Sep 5, 2010
                                                At 08:05 PM 9/4/2010, you wrote:

                                                >Well you should try to track down Star Trek The Next Generation
                                                >Starfleet Academy #1 "Worf's First Adventure", #2 "Line Of Fire" and
                                                >#3 "Survival" all by Peter David, as that trilogy acts as a prequel
                                                >to the "Star Trek New Frontier" series with Zak Kebron as Worf's
                                                >volatile cabin mate, Soleta, Mark McHenry and Tania Tobias as classmates.

                                                I don't read the NF series -- and now there are too many for me to
                                                start in buying (there's that old 'living on a pension' bugaboo I
                                                have to deal with).