RE: [Star Trek Books] Gateways Series

  • Bob Greenberger
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 8, 2010
      Hi BJ,

      Yes, authors get a royalty for any eBook sold of their works. In fact, most
      of the royalty money I see from Star Trek these days comes from the
      electronic sales not print side. Of course, it's still adding up to pennies
      reminding me that we do this more for love than riches.

      Bob

    • David Fernau
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 8, 2010
        This may end up opening the whole e-book/dead-tree-book debate again,
        but I still think the future of publishing is e-books. They're cheaper
        to produce and distribute, quicker to ship, and, well... words are words.

        The question is, are author contracts going to be changing to reflect
        that, and how?

        On 8/8/2010 08:58, Bob Greenberger wrote:

        > Hi BJ,
        >
        > Yes, authors get a royalty for any eBook sold of their works. In fact,
        > most
        > of the royalty money I see from Star Trek these days comes from the
        > electronic sales not print side. Of course, it's still adding up to
        > pennies
        > reminding me that we do this more for love than riches.
        >
        > Bob

      • Jpers36
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 8, 2010
          I'm on "Abyss" right now in the DS9 relaunch, so I'll be reading "Demons of Air and Darkness" next. I just got it in the mail yesterday. I'll probably wait to read it until I get a copy of "What Lay Beyond".
        • Trevor
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 8, 2010
            Aside from the Challenger book (which I started, but then lost interest in quite quickly) I've read all the other stories, and while "One Small Step" picks up right after the closing scenes of "That Which Survives" from TOS's 3rd season, the TNG, DS9 and New Frontier stories are interconnected in that there are Gateways opening all over the Alpha Quadrant, so you have some in the Bajoran system, others in the old Thallonian Empire, and I forget where the TNG story was, but it was somewhere in the Alpha Quadrant.

            But then the Voyager story was a rather interesting diversion from the rest of the series, since it turned out that the Gateways that Voyager was encountering were not the same as the ones that the crews of Deep Space Nine, the Enterprise or the Excalibur and Trident were encountering. And somehow Q and his young son are involved with these Gateways, but I won't go into more explanation than that.

            Trevor

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 8, 2010
              >Brilliant thought to pick up the gateways (did they originally appear only
              >in
              >that STNG episode or were they mentioned somewhere/somewhen else as well?)
              >as a plot-take-off and all the different adventures the various "casts" had.

              In addition to the "Contagion" episode of TNG, the Iconians and their
              gateways appeared in the DS9 episode "To the Death."

              www.DeCandido.net | kradical.livejournal.com
              facebook.com/kradec | twitter.com/kradec

              Please discontinue using krad@... -- use either
              keith@... or krad@... moving forward.
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 12, 2010
                >>Brilliant thought to pick up the gateways (did they originally appear only
                >>in that STNG episode or were they mentioned somewhere/somewhen else as
                >>well?) as a plot-take-off and all the different adventures the various
                >>"casts" had.
                >>

                > In addition to the "Contagion" episode of TNG, the Iconians and their
                > gateways appeared in the DS9 episode "To the Death."

                Thanks, I'll have to take another look at that ep.

                I appreciate all you do for the ST community, especially writing all those
                neat books.
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 12, 2010
                  >I appreciate all you do for the ST community, especially writing all those
                  >neat books.

                  *smiles* My pleasure.