Gateways Series

  • Karen Lim
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 7, 2010
      I just finished Star Trek Gateways One Small Step by Susan Wright and enjoyed it.  Has anyone read the rest of the series?  I read one review on the internet saying this was the best one of the seven.  Without giving away the plot how are the rest?  Also do they have to be read in order?  I read a review for the second one and the reviewer indicated it could be read on it's own.

      Karen

      Yesterday, today was tomorrow, and tomorrow, today will be yesterday.

    • Frances Coleman
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 7, 2010
        Not sure if this is helpful.

        I read the one about New Frontier and the one mostly about deep space nine but if I remember right a gateway opened up and a hirogen from where voyager series is got through. It was a long time ago. I read them in where the fell in the story lines of new frontier and post series DS9. I read the short story in the one with the short stories about Kira. Pretty much they don't have to be read together in order it is more they go with the series they came from. I remember I read the Avatar books and the Mission Gamma and the Section 31 and the gateway one fell in there somewhere. There is a list somewhere.

        Good Luck,
        Frances

      • menes@gothboy.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 7, 2010
          I've read all of them except the 'Challenger' story, because I never got
          into that series. I did really enjoy the Classic Trek entry 'One Small
          Step', yet I didn't love the followup short story in volume 7, 'What Lay
          Beyond', 'One Giant Leap'. I actually think the Classic Trek entry in the
          Section 31 series is much more entertaining. Anyways, there's a very cool,
          very impressive crossover between the TNG, DS9 & New Frontier books in the
          series which was amazing to me when I first read them. I think I enjoyed
          the DS9 entry the best because it was such a perfect continuation of the DS9
          relaunch while also working so well as an entry in the Gateways series. The
          New Frontier one was also fun and I enjoyed the followup stories.

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 8, 2010
            Hi Karen,

            As one of the people to conceive the series - and write the TNG entry -
            allow me to reassure you that each novel and its conclusion in volume seven
            can be read alone. Not a TOS fan? No problem? Only like DS9 then you're in
            for a treat because most people feel Keith's contribution was the best of
            the bunch.

            Back when it conceived, Pocket's management decided to compound editor John
            Ordover's decision to have everything dovetail in one final volume by making
            that final book, What Lay Beyond, a hardcover. Many objected to the price of
            a hardcover and I think that hurt the series overall. Using the Iconian
            gateways, though, as a linking device, worked just fine, allowing each
            franchise to tell their tale rather effectively. Fans particularly liked the
            linkage between the TNG, DS9 and New Frontier volumes by having the exact
            same scene told from three points of view with much of the dialogue intact.

            Bob

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 8, 2010
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 8, 2010
                Hi BJ,

                Yes, authors get a royalty for any eBook sold of their works. In fact, most
                of the royalty money I see from Star Trek these days comes from the
                electronic sales not print side. Of course, it's still adding up to pennies
                reminding me that we do this more for love than riches.

                Bob

              • David Fernau
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 8, 2010
                  This may end up opening the whole e-book/dead-tree-book debate again,
                  but I still think the future of publishing is e-books. They're cheaper
                  to produce and distribute, quicker to ship, and, well... words are words.

                  The question is, are author contracts going to be changing to reflect
                  that, and how?

                  On 8/8/2010 08:58, Bob Greenberger wrote:

                  > Hi BJ,
                  >
                  > Yes, authors get a royalty for any eBook sold of their works. In fact,
                  > most
                  > of the royalty money I see from Star Trek these days comes from the
                  > electronic sales not print side. Of course, it's still adding up to
                  > pennies
                  > reminding me that we do this more for love than riches.
                  >
                  > Bob

                • Jpers36
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 8, 2010
                    I'm on "Abyss" right now in the DS9 relaunch, so I'll be reading "Demons of Air and Darkness" next. I just got it in the mail yesterday. I'll probably wait to read it until I get a copy of "What Lay Beyond".
                  • Trevor
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 8, 2010
                      Aside from the Challenger book (which I started, but then lost interest in quite quickly) I've read all the other stories, and while "One Small Step" picks up right after the closing scenes of "That Which Survives" from TOS's 3rd season, the TNG, DS9 and New Frontier stories are interconnected in that there are Gateways opening all over the Alpha Quadrant, so you have some in the Bajoran system, others in the old Thallonian Empire, and I forget where the TNG story was, but it was somewhere in the Alpha Quadrant.

                      But then the Voyager story was a rather interesting diversion from the rest of the series, since it turned out that the Gateways that Voyager was encountering were not the same as the ones that the crews of Deep Space Nine, the Enterprise or the Excalibur and Trident were encountering. And somehow Q and his young son are involved with these Gateways, but I won't go into more explanation than that.

                      Trevor

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 8, 2010
                        >Brilliant thought to pick up the gateways (did they originally appear only
                        >in
                        >that STNG episode or were they mentioned somewhere/somewhen else as well?)
                        >as a plot-take-off and all the different adventures the various "casts" had.

                        In addition to the "Contagion" episode of TNG, the Iconians and their
                        gateways appeared in the DS9 episode "To the Death."

                        www.DeCandido.net | kradical.livejournal.com
                        facebook.com/kradec | twitter.com/kradec

                        Please discontinue using krad@... -- use either
                        keith@... or krad@... moving forward.
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 12, 2010
                          >>Brilliant thought to pick up the gateways (did they originally appear only
                          >>in that STNG episode or were they mentioned somewhere/somewhen else as
                          >>well?) as a plot-take-off and all the different adventures the various
                          >>"casts" had.
                          >>

                          > In addition to the "Contagion" episode of TNG, the Iconians and their
                          > gateways appeared in the DS9 episode "To the Death."

                          Thanks, I'll have to take another look at that ep.

                          I appreciate all you do for the ST community, especially writing all those
                          neat books.
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 12, 2010
                            >I appreciate all you do for the ST community, especially writing all those
                            >neat books.

                            *smiles* My pleasure.