Star Trek The Next Generation Nightshade Reprint

  • Trevor
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 27, 2010
      Yesterday I just ordered some of the upcoming Star Trek reprint books through my local Coles/Chapters store via their kiosk to the Chapters website (when it is only one book coming at a time it is cheaper to have it shipped to the store since then the shipping is FREE) and while I was able to find the 2 SCE reprints and the Star Trek (2009) reprint, they didn't have a listing for the September reprint of the 1992 Laurell K. Hamilton novel "Nightshade". I just checked a few other bookstores online (Amazon.ca/.com, Barnes and Noble) and it appears that the book will only be available through Simon & Schuster and it will not be available through any other book seller. (Incase you are wondering all the book sites had the Star Trek releases through "Blind Man's Bluff" in January 2012.)

      So this will be an interesting September. No "new" Star Trek books in bookstores.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 27, 2010
        What about buying used?
        Amazon has a lot listed, but I don't know if that applies to .ca customers.

        > Yesterday I just ordered some of the upcoming Star Trek reprint books
        > through my local Coles/Chapters store via their kiosk to the Chapters
        > website (when it is only one book coming at a time it is cheaper to have
        > it shipped to the store since then the shipping is FREE) and while I was
        > able to find the 2 SCE reprints and the Star Trek (2009) reprint, they
        > didn't have a listing for the September reprint of the 1992 Laurell K.
        > Hamilton novel "Nightshade". I just checked a few other bookstores online
        > (Amazon.ca/.com, Barnes and Noble) and it appears that the book will only
        > be available through Simon & Schuster and it will not be available through
        > any other book seller. (Incase you are wondering all the book sites had
        > the Star Trek releases through "Blind Man's Bluff" in January 2012.)
        >
        > So this will be an interesting September. No "new" Star Trek books in
        > bookstores.
        >
        > Trevor

      • Andrew Brown
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 27, 2010
          I've always wondered; do the authors of books sold second-hand get any money
          at all for the sale, or do they only get paid from the original sale or a
          brand new book?

          Andy

          On 27 June 2010 20:50, bj <bjones44@...> wrote:

          > What about buying used?
          > Amazon has a lot listed, but I don't know if that applies to .ca customers.
          > bj

        • Kathy Agel
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 27, 2010
            At 08:57 PM 6/27/2010, you wrote:

            >I've always wondered; do the authors of books sold second-hand get any money
            >at all for the sale, or do they only get paid from the original sale or a
            >brand new book?

            Nope -- they get money for the first sale. Used items belong to the
            seller -- there are no royalties involved.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 28, 2010
              >it appears that the book will only be available through Simon & Schuster and it will not be available through any other book seller.

              This is categorically untrue. The whole point of reprinting NIGHTSHADE is to cash in on Hamilton's subsequent career as a NEW YORK TIMES bestselling author, and S&S could hardly do that if they were only making it available through their web site and not through the =massive= distribution system at their disposal.

              The fact that it isn't yet listed on various online sites for preorder is more likely a glitch of some kind -- it wouldn't be the first time. Especially amusing is that several sites, including S&S's own site, are using the new cover art for the older (mass-market and eBook) editions, which makes it even more obvious that it's a glitch.

              The book will be in stores in September.

              www.DeCandido.net
              kradical.livejournal.com

              "Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk"
              ---Tom Waits, "Heartattack and Vine"