religion in the 23 century and beyond

  • David
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30, 2010
      to those who suggest that human evolution stopped with with the 20the century:

      one would think that since the human race a developed beyond the need for money and developed a way for every on to get fed and no goes hungry, that they would would a developed beyond a need for foolish idols and the need to worship in public and take on the north american indian way of an internal religion. thats probably why you do not see the outward trappings of religion because we have evolved beyond the trapping of outward displayes of monitary wealth a displays of vestments but then we have only seen the military way of life, but hopefully they have moved beyond the same things.

      Seagulls fly high, communing with sun,
      Dolphins chatter to the music of the earth,
      Whales dive deep and meditate on the energies of the earth.

    • Trevor
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 30, 2010
        I realize that this was a "dream sequence", but in Star Trek Generations we saw Captain Picard in the Nexus apparenlty celebrating Christmas.

        Not to mention that in Star Trek Voyager Chakotay was faithful to observe his people's "religion".

        Now then while this is not a religious holiday, but in "Charlie X" from TOS we did have Kirk mention that it was Thanksgiving on Earth that day.

        Trevor

      • n7aao.david@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 30, 2010
          Let us not forget the Bajoran temple on DS9, nor all the religious characters (Kai Winn, for example) in that series.

          Subj: [Star Trek Books] Re: religion in the 23 century and beyond
          Date: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:29
          Size: 1K
          To: startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com

          I realize that this was a "dream sequence", but in Star Trek Generations we saw Captain Picard in the Nexus apparenlty celebrating Christmas.

          Not to mention that in Star Trek Voyager Chakotay was faithful to observe his people's "religion".

          Now then while this is not a religious holiday, but in "Charlie X" from TOS we did have Kirk mention that it was Thanksgiving on Earth that day.

          Trevor

          --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, David <dbisho0525@...> wrote:

          > thats probably why you do not see the outward trappings of religion >because we have evolved beyond the trapping of outward displayes of >monitary wealth a displays of vestments but then we have only seen the >military way of life, but hopefully they have moved beyond the same >things.
          >

          > Seagulls fly high, communing with sun,
          > Dolphins chatter to the music of the earth,
          > Whales dive deep and meditate on the energies of the earth.

          --- message truncated ---
        • Joshua Persons
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 31, 2010
                 And then there's the time Kirk's crew met Apollo (Who Mourns for Adonais?), and the time they met Satan (The Magicks of Megas-tu) ...
                 Yeah, in the Star Trek Universe, the Devil's a good guy.  Wouldn't that kinda break Catholicism? :P

            -Joshua Persons

          • Trevor
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 31, 2010
              Oh yeah I forgot about the Bajorans.

              But I also remember reading years ago in the novelization of "Day Of Honor" that Voyager had a Jewish crewmember who celebrated Passover and Hannukah and the other Jewish holy days.

              Trevor

              --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, <n7aao.david@...> wrote:

              > Let us not forget the Bajoran temple on DS9, nor all the religious characters (Kai Winn, for example) in that series.

            • Andrew Brown
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 1, 2010
                Faith is alive and well in Trek; there are plenty of references to and
                participation in religious events. It is just a privately held faith. The
                mainly Starfleet-only Trek universe we see just seems to have done away with
                the outward trappings.

                Go read up on all the religious details of Trek here:

                http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Religion

                Andy

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 1, 2010
                  Also, this page is very informative with background data and episodic