Trek EBooks

  • prim88@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 10, 2010
      I am considering getting an e-reader (leaning toward the IPad, with it's additional features) and was wondering about the availability of full length Trek novels. I know that most of the S.C.E. books were ebooks, but most of the other Trek I've seen seem to be abridged, or am I just not looking hard enough? It seems in this day and age of electronic media that the full text would have to be available for the publishing process, so why not just do them all full length. Any thoughts?Bob

    • Ktrek -
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 10, 2010
        I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that the ebooks are abridged versions. I have an ereader ( a B&N nook to be specific) and have purchased several Star Trek books and have yet to find one that says abridged. I would think B&N's website would have to also note they are selling an abridged version and I cannot find one title of over 500 listings that say that. Perhaps you are confusing them with audio books?

        As for an ereading device I would look carefully before investing in an Ipad for ereading. The device looks to be cool but have you ever tried reading for long periods on your PC or a laptop? Yea...it can be done but not very comfortably for long periods because of the back light. Ereaders like the B&N nook, Amazon's Kindle and Sony's Reader are much more practical for long periods and much more portable and less cumbersome than the Ipad will be. The three I mention are the top sellers and all use "eink" technology. They are not backlit and so cannot be used in the dark without a nook light but the screen is so enjoyable to read on that I can read for hours without any eye fatigue at all and no distractions from other applications vying for my time. So, I can completely immerse myself in my book.

        Having a collection of over 700 Star Trek books I was not sure I wanted to transition to ebooks but I'm glad I did. I think the nook has solid advantages over the other two readers and if you want to know more please feel free to email me.

        Kevin

        Do you like classic movies? Then why not join The Golden Age Of Hollywood Social Network? It's FREE and painless!
        http://www.goldenageofhollywood.com

        I am considering getting an e-reader (leaning toward the IPad, with it's additional features) and was wondering about the availability of full length Trek novels. I know that most of the S.C.E. books were ebooks, but most of the other Trek I've seen seem to be abridged, or am I just not looking hard enough? It seems in this day and age of electronic media that the full text would have to be available for the publishing process, so why not just do them all full length. Any thoughts?Bob

      • David Fernau
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 10, 2010
          I concur... ebooks are not like audiobooks, where they are frequently
          abridged. An ebook is just a book that's not printed on paper... they're
          still full-length books.

          If you do decide to go with an iPad, be ready for a lot of additional costs.
          As I understand it, the iPad makes you pay per month for 3G wireless,
          whereas the Kindle doesn't, it's included (through Sprint's network). That
          can add up over the years.

          However, I understand that Amazon will be offering a Kindle for iPad
          application, allowing you to purchase Kindle edition books for the iPad, so
          wander over to Amazon's Kindle store and see what you can get... there are
          quite a number of Trek books published for Kindle already (I just finished
          the Destiny trilogy and A Singular Destiny on my Kindle), and Kindle books
          are frequently discounted off the price of paper books.

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 10, 2010
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 10, 2010
              Actually, on my Kindle, there have been occasions when I wanted/needed
              to get a book immediately, and wifi was not available. The Kindle can
              also use its 3G network for web surfing... admittedly, the web browser
              is somewhat limited, but it's better than nothing.

              Hey, you wanna spend the extra $$$ for the iPad, it's your money, you
              can use it for whatever you'd like. Me, I'd rather have the cheaper
              e-reader and spend the extra money on books (at the time I got the
              Kindle, the Nook wasn't out yet... besides, I trust Amazon more than
              B&N... just a personal preference).

              On 3/10/2010 12:13, bj wrote:

> [...]

            • Ktrek -
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 10, 2010
                Well, the nice thing about Barnes and Nobles nook is that it is not proprietary like the Kindle and supports several ebook formats. I can purchase from most online vendors (except Amazon) and the nook will be able to read them. It also has wifi and 3G wireless and you don't have that awful looking keyboard on the front. It uses an LCD for navigation and is powered by the android operating system, which allows it to have some cool hacks and also the ability for B&N to improve it, which they have done and will do. Also, the nook has better screen resolution and has three font styles and five font sizes to choose from. I liked the Kindle OK, but the nook is better even if it has a few minor flaws right now.

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 10, 2010
                  Actually, the Kindle supports several formats. It can read (unlocked)
                  Mobipocket or Palm Reader files (those are propietary formats not owned
                  by Amazon), the standard Kindle can read converted .pdfs (the Kindle DX
                  has native support for .pdf), txt files, and can also convert and view
                  .doc files.

                  Also, since Audible.com is owned by Amazon, the Kindle can play Audible
                  audiobooks.

                  On 3/10/2010 15:06, Ktrek - wrote:

                  > Well, the nice thing about Barnes and Nobles nook is that it is not
                  > proprietary like the Kindle and supports several ebook formats. I can
                  > purchase from most online vendors (except Amazon) and the nook will be
                  > able to read them. It also has wifi and 3G wireless and you don't have
                  > that awful looking keyboard on the front. It uses an LCD for
                  > navigation and is powered by the android operating system, which
                  > allows it to have some cool hacks and also the ability for B&N to
                  > improve it, which they have done and will do. Also, the nook has
                  > better screen resolution and has three font styles and five font sizes
                  > to choose from. I liked the Kindle OK, but the nook is better even if
                  > it has a few minor flaws right now.
                  >
                  > Kevin
                  >
                  > Do you like classic movies? Then why not join The Golden Age Of
                  > Hollywood Social Network? It's FREE and painless!
                  > http://www.goldenageofhollywood.com <http://www.goldenageofhollywood.com>
                  >

                  > --- On Wed, 3/10/10, David Fernau <n7aao.david@...
                  > <mailto:n7aao.david%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                  >
                  > From: David Fernau <n7aao.david@...
                  > <mailto:n7aao.david%40gmail.com>>
                  > Subject: Re: [Star Trek Books] Trek EBooks
                  > To: startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com <mailto:startrekbooks%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > Date: Wednesday, March 10, 2010, 4:37 PM
                  >

                  > Actually, on my Kindle, there have been occasions when I wanted/needed
                  > to get a book immediately, and wifi was not available. The Kindle can
                  > also use its 3G network for web surfing... admittedly, the web browser
                  > is somewhat limited, but it's better than nothing.
                  >
                  > Hey, you wanna spend the extra $$$ for the iPad, it's your money, you
                  > can use it for whatever you'd like. Me, I'd rather have the cheaper
                  > e-reader and spend the extra money on books (at the time I got the
                  > Kindle, the Nook wasn't out yet... besides, I trust Amazon more than
                  > B&N... just a personal preference).

                • Trevor
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 10, 2010
                    I was just talking with someone at work who has an ebook reader and they were telling me how here in Canada a few people are getting pretty steamed at the different services because they'll purchase a book, for example, through Amazon.ca in an ebook format, but then a few weeks later Amazon will discover that the book should've only been sold for Americans on the American Amazon, and then Amazon sends a code to lock-out the book without bothering to refund the book. And it affects both on devices that are wi-fi and ones that have to be connected to a computer (but with the computer-connected the lock-out doesn't get passed on until the next time that ebook reader is connected, but the provider doesn't bother to send an email or anything saying that the book is locked out).

                    Now then the person I was talking to wasn't speaking about Trek ebooks specifically but they were talking about ebooks in general.

                    Trevor

                    --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, David Fernau <n7aao.david@...> wrote:

                    > Actually, the Kindle supports several formats. It can read (unlocked)
                    > Mobipocket or Palm Reader files (those are propietary formats not owned
                    > by Amazon), the standard Kindle can read converted .pdfs (the Kindle DX
                    > has native support for .pdf), txt files, and can also convert and view
                    > .doc files.
                    >
                    > Also, since Audible.com is owned by Amazon, the Kindle can play Audible
                    > audiobooks.

                  • David Fernau
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 10, 2010
                      Yeah, I understand that people with the international version Kindle
                      that live overseas are somewhat pissed as well, because there are
                      surcharges on top of the price Amazon lists on the website. Not sure if
                      they're government-required, Amazon add-on fees, or a little bit of both.

                      I'm not saying they're perfect (they're not, at least not yet), but
                      they're worth a look-see.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 10, 2010
                        I've heard of Amazon revoking ebooks from the Kindle (for various reasons)
                        but that they also credit your account when they do so. Are these Canadian
                        cases different in that regard? or is something missing from the story?

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 10, 2010
                          That did happen, once... I forget which book it was. However, Amazon got
                          such bad press about that issue that I really doubt they'd be stupid
                          enough to do it again.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 10, 2010
                            From what I was told they still had the book on their computer and ebook reader, but when they went to open it it was encrypted and they couldn't read it and Amazon wouldn't refund them.

                            On the international scene that is something that regular books don't have a problem with since, if you physically buy it in a store in the US, then you don't have to worry about the book being encrypted either before you get home or after.

                            Trevor

                            --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, "bj" <bjones44@...> wrote:

                            > I've heard of Amazon revoking ebooks from the Kindle (for various reasons)
                            > but that they also credit your account when they do so. Are these Canadian
                            > cases different in that regard? or is something missing from the story?
                            > bj
                          • Ktrek -
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 10, 2010
                              Ironically I think it was George Orwell's 1984.

                              Kevin

                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 10, 2010
                                Now that I think of it, that does ring a bell.

                                On 3/10/2010 18:12, Ktrek - wrote:

                                > Ironically I think it was George Orwell's 1984.
                                >
                                > Kevin
                                >
                                > --- On Wed, 3/10/10, David Fernau <n7aao.david@...
                                > <mailto:n7aao.david%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                                >
                                > From: David Fernau <n7aao.david@...
                                > <mailto:n7aao.david%40gmail.com>>
                                > Subject: Re: [Star Trek Books] Trek EBooks
                                > To: startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com <mailto:startrekbooks%40yahoogroups.com>
                                > Date: Wednesday, March 10, 2010, 7:59 PM
                                >

                                > That did happen, once... I forget which book it was. However, Amazon got
                                > such bad press about that issue that I really doubt they'd be stupid
                                > enough to do it again.

                              • David Fernau
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 10, 2010
                                  By the way, here's an interesting article about iPad vs. Kindle.

                                  http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/04/e-donnybrook/7985/