Deep Space Nine #9: Proud Helios

  • Trevor
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22, 2010
      I just started to read "Proud Helios", Deep Space Nine's 9th book, by Meliss Scott and so far it is alright. I'm currently on Chapter 3 (page 66) and I think that if Melissa Scott was a speaker people would call her 'long-winded' since her chapters are about 25 pages or longer in length. I remember reading Scott's Voyager #11 "The Garden" back in 1997 and back then I found that her chapters were very long and that she was 'long-winded'. I just pulled "The Garden" off and Chapter 1 is 33 pages, 2 is 21, 3 is 26, 4 is 36, 5 is 30, 6 is 42, 7 is 30, 8 is 31 and 9 is 23, over the course of 278 pages. And Scott's "Proud Helios" is 277 pages long with 12 Chapters plus a Prologue.

      I noticed that there had been some discussion on this board about "Proud Helios" back in March and August 2001 with most of those comments saying that it was one of those rare DS9 titles where the book was sort of in the middle with it not being a bad book, but at the same time not being a good book, but still leaning more towards the good side. So it sounds like the book should be interesting.

      Of course when I was looking at the cover blurb that Pocket put on the front: "Deep Space Nine versus interstellar pirates!", I had to ask myself the somewhat rhetorical question "Who would win?", knowing that Deep Space Nine would definitely have to win since the book takes place and was published while the show was on the air. So to have Deep Space Nine and someone from the crew destroyed or killed wouldn't make a lot of sense, unless it was some 'Joe Blow' who Scott just put in.

      I'm just looking at my bookshelf and I'm noticing that, aside from the publication of "The Search" in 1994, "Proud Helios" is most likely the first DS9 book to take place in 2371 (Season 3) and is probably the only one within the first 10 numbered books to take place after "The Search". (I realize that #10 "Valhalla" contains a reference to the Defiant being away from the station, but as "Voyages of the Imagination" says, that was an editing mistake that was added because the book was published during the 3rd season, since the story really takes place in the first season.)

      Also it is sort of surprising that I'm reading this book now considering that February 2010 is the 15th anniversary of the book's publication in February 1995 (off topic, February 2010 is also the 15th anniversary of Voyager #1 "Caretaker"'s publication and "Mystery of the Missing Crew" from the Star Trek TNG Starfleet Academy line; February 2010 is also the 13th anniversary of Melissa Scott's Voyager #11 "The Garden"). Maybe it's time to do an anniversary review...I don't know.

      Trevor
    • Andrew Brown
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 24, 2010

        > Of course when I was looking at the cover blurb that Pocket put on the
        > front: "Deep Space Nine versus interstellar pirates!", I had to ask myself
        > the somewhat rhetorical question "Who would win?", knowing that Deep Space
        > Nine would definitely have to win since the book takes place and was
        > published while the show was on the air. So to have Deep Space Nine and
        > someone from the crew destroyed or killed wouldn't make a lot of sense,
        > unless it was some 'Joe Blow' who Scott just put in.

        Well, Pirates don't need to destroy you to win. Just raid you and get away.
        It likely was never about the destruction of DS9.

        Andy