Top Ten Books of the Decade

  • Trevor
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2010
      Happy New Year!

      Considering that it is now 2010, a new year and a new decade, I was thinking of what Star Trek novels by Pocket Books would be considered as the Top 10 Star Trek novels published between 2000 and 2009.

      Remember this is just the novels published by Pocket books, with two exceptions because those stories are mentioned and have an impact on the Pocket line: the 2 "Star Trek New Frontier" comics by Peter David.

      Trevor
    • Shazam
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2010
        Is there a link to the list?

        --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, "Trevor" <tomswift2002@...> wrote:

        > Happy New Year!
        >
        > Considering that it is now 2010, a new year and a new decade, I was thinking of what Star Trek novels by Pocket Books would be considered as the Top 10 Star Trek novels published between 2000 and 2009.
        >
        > Remember this is just the novels published by Pocket books, with two exceptions because those stories are mentioned and have an impact on the Pocket line: the 2 "Star Trek New Frontier" comics by Peter David.
        >
        > Trevor

      • Trevor
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 3, 2010
          There is no link since I was trying to get your ideas.

          Think of it this way. Say that you were asked by the editors at the official Star Trek magazine to come up with a Top Ten list of novels published by Pocket from 2000-2009 (the 2 "New Frontier" comics can also be included because they tie directly into the Pocket line, but no other comics), what would be your Top 10 novels?

          Trevor

        • menes@gothboy.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
            Here's my personal top 10 listed in the order they were published:

            Deep Space Nine #27: A Stitch in Time by Andrew J. Robinson [May 2000]

            One of my favorite Trek books ever. All my friends have read and loved this
            one.

            Next Generation: Immortal Coil by Jeffrey Lang [February 2002]

            I read this one a few years late but loved it just the same. I've actually
            enjoyed all of Jeffrey Lang's Treks and wish that he would write a sequel to
            this book.

            New Frontier: Stone and Anvil by Peter David [2003]

            I love New Frontier. I was going to put "Once Burned" on this list but it
            was published too early to make the cut. This one stands out as a favorite
            of mine though.

            Deep Space Nine: Unity by S.D. Perry [November 2003]

            I'd love to include the entire DS9 Relaunch on this list, but Unity is the
            culmination of 8 Seasons of DS9 and what a finale!

            Worlds of DS9: Trill (Unjoined by Andy Mangels & Michael A. Martin) & Bajor
            (Fragments & Omens by J. Joah Kym) [February 2005]

            My favorite post Unity DS9 book, I expected much from the books that
            followed; they were all enjoyable, but the delay in printing really hurt the
            series after this point.

            Enterprise: The Good That Men Do by Andy Mangels & Michael A. Martin [March
            2007]

            The book that took the wretched finale of Enterprise and spun gold from
            straw. I could never thank the authors enough for this wonderful gift.

            Excelsior: Forged in Fire by Michael A. Martin & Andy Mangels [January 2008]

            Pure Fun. I love Sulu. I love DS9's "Blood Oath" & I love Dax. So cool.

            Terok Nor: Day of the Vipers by James Swallow [April 2008]

            The first book in the Terok Nor trilogy was astonishly good; the next two
            were merely ok.

            The Destiny Trilogy by David Mack [October - December 2008]

            I didn't love the Destiny trilogy, though I did love the game changing
            nature of the storyline and the huge cast of characters - a story not to be
            missed.

            Mirror Universe: The Sorrows of Empire by David Mack [January 2010 (half of
            it was published in Feb 07) - plus I got my copy in Decmeber]

            This was the only Mirror Universe story that I really felt went above and
            beyond with it's storyline. It made all the other entries pale in
            comparison and deserved this expansion.

            From what I've heard, Voyager's "Full Circle" would probably get on this
            list as well, but I've simply not read it yet.

            Jason

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
              My Top Ten would be

              DS9: Serpents Amongst the Ruins

              Titan: Taking Wing

              Sector 31: Rogue

              DS9: Twilight

              A Time to Die

              A Time to Heal

              DS9: Warpath

              Articles of the Federation

              WildFire (Star Fleet Core of Engineers)

              The Destiny Trilogy (Yes I might be cheating but what the heck. :-P)

              Quite honestly I wanted to put some Enterprise Stories in there too but it
              was a Top 10 list. :-P (Kobayashi Maru and The Romulan War (still reading
              it) would come to mind)

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
                Good list! A few minor corrections...

                >DS9: Serpents Amongst the Ruins

                This wasn't a DS9 book, it was a LOST ERA book. In fact, aside from a
                much-younger Elias Vaughn, there were no DS9 characters in it.

                >A Time to Die
                >
                >A Time to Heal

                These are two second-books-in-a-duology from the A TIME TO...
                mega-series, the first by John Vornholt, the second by David Mack. I
                just wanted to make sure you weren't mixing A TIME TO KILL, which
                actually came before ...HEAL, with A TIME TO DIE, which came after A
                TIME TO BE BORN. *grin*

                >Articles of the Federation
                >
                >WildFire (Star Fleet Core of Engineers)

                As the writer of the first and the editor of the second, it warms my
                heart to see these two on your list. Thank you!

                www.DeCandido.net
                kradical.livejournal.com

                "Even when you turn your back, you're still facing something."
              • devildogdoyle
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
                  You clearly state that the question is "a Top Ten list of novels published by Pocket" Books, not Pocket Books and Wildstorm, TokyoPop, IDW, and Wired. If one comic company is included, then all four should be. If one tie-in is included, then all tie-ins and canon items should be included as well.

                  Both COUNTDOWN and NERO are official direct tie-ins to the movie novelization by Pocket Books.

                  The comic adaptation of WRATH OF KHAN is added because both the comic and novelization (by Pocket Books) are based off the script and movie.

                  If im not mistaken, the ASSIGNMENT EARTH series is based off the original concept for a spin-off series from the 60s series which is cannon, too.

                  Even though its from the Klingon perspective, the BLOOD WILL TELL series takes place during already established episodes and movies and ties directly into it both.

                  Its either a NOVEL or a WRITTEN Top Ten List. You cannot have both.

                  Novels and comics are written, marketed, published, and produced differently. They even have different publishers.

                  As for the top ten list, there is a company that tracks the top scifi novels. They have the information you are looking for.

                  Locus Magazine.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
                    Actually - he can have both - as it's his list and not yours. You could
                    add your own list without knocking his. Your post was just rude.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
                      Oh I missunderstood. I don't think I've read any books from this year.

                      --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, "Trevor" <tomswift2002@...> wrote:

                      > There is no link since I was trying to get your ideas.
                      >
                      > Think of it this way. Say that you were asked by the editors at the official Star Trek magazine to come up with a Top Ten list of novels published by Pocket from 2000-2009 (the 2 "New Frontier" comics can also be included because they tie directly into the Pocket line, but no other comics), what would be your Top 10 novels?
                      >
                      > Trevor
                      > --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, "Shazam" <robshimer@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Is there a link to the list?
                      > >
                      > > --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, "Trevor" <tomswift2002@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Happy New Year!
                      > > >
                      > > > Considering that it is now 2010, a new year and a new decade, I was thinking of what Star Trek novels by Pocket Books would be considered as the Top 10 Star Trek novels published between 2000 and 2009.
                      > > >
                      > > > Remember this is just the novels published by Pocket books, with two exceptions because those stories are mentioned and have an impact on the Pocket line: the 2 "Star Trek New Frontier" comics by Peter David.
                      > > >
                      > > > Trevor

                    • devildogdoyle
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
                        Since when is truth rude? Are you an administrator for this list?

                        He clearly stated that the list was POCKET BOOKS. To discriminate against certain media and exclude it because of prejudice should not be allowed. It shows personal bias and ignorance.

                        If you want to discuss this further, feel free to email me off list.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 5, 2010
                          --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, "devildogdoyle" <devildogdoyle@...> wrote:

                          > You clearly state that the question is "a Top Ten list of novels >published by Pocket" Books, not Pocket Books and Wildstorm, >TokyoPop, IDW, and Wired. If one comic company is included, then all >four should be. If one tie-in is included, then all tie-ins and >canon items should be included as well.

                          With *2 exceptions*, one by Wildstorm and the other by IDW because the stories directly impact and take place within the Pocket books timeline.

                          > Both COUNTDOWN and NERO are official direct tie-ins to the movie >novelization by Pocket Books.

                          COUNTDOWN and NERO are official direct tie-ins to the movie by Paramount, not the movie novelization by Pocket Books, with the events in the TNG era taking place in the late 2380's---a time period that Pocket hasn't touched yet in terms of their continuity. Last time that I checked it was only the fans who were suggesting that the stories in COUNTDOWN and NERO were connected to the Pocket line.

                          > The comic adaptation of WRATH OF KHAN is added because both the >comic and novelization (by Pocket Books) are based off the script >and movie.

                          That was not added to the list because the novel was published back in the 1980's while the comic had nothing to do with the Pocket line.

                          > If im not mistaken, the ASSIGNMENT EARTH series is based off the >original concept for a spin-off series from the 60s series which is >cannon, too.

                          As far as I know it is based off that pilot, however, from what I know, it doesn't follow the continuity of "Assignment: Eternity, The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh Volumes 1 & 2, The Aliens Are Coming, Seven and Seven, Assignment: One, Rocket Man and Time Line'.

                          > Even though its from the Klingon perspective, the BLOOD WILL TELL >series takes place during already established episodes and movies >and ties directly into it both.

                          This list was about Pocket novels.

                          > Its either a NOVEL or a WRITTEN Top Ten List. You cannot have both.

                          Oh...who says?

                          > Novels and comics are written, marketed, published, and produced >differently. They even have different publishers.

                          True they do have different publishers, but that doesn't mean that there can't be parts of story lines that cross the borders, especially when the two licenses are based off of property owned by another company.

                          > As for the top ten list, there is a company that tracks the top >scifi novels. They have the information you are looking for.
                          >
                          > Locus Magazine.
                          You went right into left field there. I was not looking for a "Top Ten list by Locus". I was asking, if you were asked by a magazine (say the Star Trek magazine) or other company, to pick the Top Ten Star Trek books published by Pocket Books from 2000 to 2009, with the 2 exceptions being the 2 New Frontier comics that were licensed by Wildstorm and IDW during the decade because the stories take place within the same continuity and affect the plotlines of the books that have been published since those 2 stories were written.

                          Trevor
                        • Trevor
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 5, 2010
                            Those are all interesting choices.

                            Here are my own Top 10:

                            10. Preserver (2000) - this book finishes up William Shatner's "Mirror Universe Trilogy" that ran from 1998-2000. It's funny how the 2000's opened with a story from the Mirror Universe and then the 2000's also closed with a number of stories from the Mirror Universe.

                            9. Millennium (2000, 2002 omnibus) - wonderful trilogy from William Shatner's co-author's. And I'm going to echo their question about Deep Space Nine here: "When do the DS9 movies start?"

                            8. Broken Bow (2001) - the novelization I found to be a lot better than the actualy episode, and I read this version first, so when I saw the actual episode I was quite shocked at how low the episode compared to this book.

                            7. By The Book (2002) - So far the last Star Trek book by two of the greatest Trek authors of the last two decades. This was actually the first Enterprise book that I read, even before "Broken Bow", and it would be over a year till I actually saw an episode of the series. Unfortunately the series didn't live up to the expectations the authors made it out to be.

                            6. Starfleet Year One (2002) - Way, way better than Enterprise, Michael Jan Friedman did one good job on this story.

                            5. Spirit Walk Books 1 & 2 (2004) - Great continuation of the Star Trek Voyager Season 8 series. Unfortunately, after this we wouldn't see anything more of the Season 8 crew for five years.

                            4. Engines of Destiny (2005) - Time travel, the Borg...who could ask for more.

                            3. Homecoming/The Farther Shore (2003) - Ever since I read the "candy drop" for this story in the back of "Endgame" I was eagerly awaiting this story to follow within the next couple of months. So when the story came out in 2003, boy, was I ever excited.

                            2. Star Trek Academy: Collision Course (2007) - This was a really gripping tale about Kirk and Spock's early years, and I found that William Shatner managed to drop the "Western" feel that I had found in a number of the older Star Trek TOS novels and he was able to make a story that was about Star Trek TOS, but could also connect to people in their 20's who grew up in a world where the old Western story didn't influence a show's style of story telling, and yet still make sure that the story could connect up to the TV series.

                            1. Full Circle/Unworthy (2009) - After a five year absence, and a major character being killed off during the absence, truly the greatest Trek story of the 2000's came in 2009 when Star Trek Voyager returned after a long hiatus, and started the ship on a new voyage of adventure in the Delta Quadrant. Unfortunately the follow-up is still a few years away, and I'll have a hard time waiting to see what Captain Chakotay, Captain Afsarah Eden, First Officer Tom Paris and his wife and daughter and the rest of Voyager's crew will be doing when the series resumes in 2011 or 2012 or whenever.

                            Trevor

                            --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, Ian McFarlane <mackiedoo@...> wrote:

                            > My Top Ten would be
                            >

                            > DS9: Serpents Amongst the Ruins
                            >
                            > Titan: Taking Wing
                            >
                            > Sector 31: Rogue
                            >
                            > DS9: Twilight
                            >
                            > A Time to Die
                            >
                            > A Time to Heal
                            >
                            > DS9: Warpath
                            >
                            > Articles of the Federation
                            >
                            > WildFire (Star Fleet Core of Engineers)
                            >
                            > The Destiny Trilogy (Yes I might be cheating but what the heck. :-P)
                            >

                            > Quite honestly I wanted to put some Enterprise Stories in there too but it
                            > was a Top 10 list. :-P (Kobayashi Maru and The Romulan War (still reading
                            > it) would come to mind)

                          • Ian McFarlane
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 5, 2010
                              Thnks KRAd. I goofed. Dvid George wrote the DS9 book Twlight and this was in
                              my head as I typed.

                              As for the Time to books I meant the ones by David Mack. I goofed with a
                              Time to Die. I did mean a Time to Kill.

                              Good catch!

                              Oops. :-P

                              This wasn't a DS9 book, it was a LOST ERA book. In fact, aside from a
                              much-younger Elias Vaughn, there were no DS9 characters in it.

                              >A Time to Die
                              >
                              >A Time to Heal

                              These are two second-books-in-a-duology from the A TIME TO...
                              mega-series, the first by John Vornholt, the second by David Mack. I
                              just wanted to make sure you weren't mixing A TIME TO KILL, which
                              actually came before ...HEAL, with A TIME TO DIE, which came after A
                              TIME TO BE BORN. *grin*

                              >Articles of the Federation
                              >
                              >WildFire (Star Fleet Core of Engineers)

                              As the writer of the first and the editor of the second, it warms my
                              heart to see these two on your list. Thank you!

                              Keith R.A. DeCandido
                              keith@... <mailto:keith%40decandido.net>