Size, Pricing

  • Elyod Trebor
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 17, 2009
      Hey,

      Just got word that the paperback format for the Star Wars novels will be the new Premium Paperback size, which is larger than the normal MMPB but smaller than the Trade. (It also means i have to readjust the bookcases so it will fit).

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/snarkel/3992305906/in/photostream/

      The "premium" format used is a Pocket Books Stephen King novel.

      Along with this, the price will increase to $9.99.

      I also have noticed that the space for Trek books at B&N and Borders has shrunk again. Its not even a full column now. Its closer to 2/3 now.

      A) Will Trek adopt this new size?

      B) Will Trek books adopt the new price? Its been awhile since Trek books got an increase.

      C) Has Marco's second replacement been found yet?

      Im beginning to lose faith in Pocket Books' ability to manage Star Trek. Im sure TOR, Fandemonium, or another publisher would be more than happy to pick up the contract and put the license back where it should be... on the New York Times Best Seller list.
    • Allyn Gibson
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 17, 2009
        On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 21:35:28 -0400, Elyod Trebor wrote:

        > A) Will Trek adopt this new size?

        I doubt it. I haven't noticed Pocket using that size and format in genre
        fiction. It's possible that if Del Rey sees success with that format for
        Star Wars paperbacks that Pocket could experiment with it. If there is a
        format change, I think it's more likely that Pocket would go to trade
        paperbacks without the intermediate step.

        > I'm beginning to lose faith in Pocket Books' ability to manage Star
        > Trek. I'm sure TOR, Fandemonium, or another publisher would be more than
        > happy to pick up the contract and put the license back where it should
        > be... on the New York Times Best Seller list.

        Tor? Have they had -any- long-term success with media tie-ins in the
        past? And Fandemonium has spotty distribution.

        If Pocket were to drop the Trek license, Titan would probably be at the
        top of the list to pick it up. They're already publishing the art book
        for the Abrams film, and they've done some Terminator tie-in novels with
        Timothy Zahn and Alan Dean Foster.

        However, I don't anticipate Pocket dropping the license. (And Steve Roby
        recently pointed out on TrekBBS that Pocket's Trek fiction is doing very
        well on the Locus best-seller lists, which are more representative of the
        genre as a whole.) Even if Pocket were facing financial ruin, there are
        -still- steps they can take to keep the Trek line afloat, such as moving
        to all trades or cutting back on production.

        Allyn
        --
        "Made of awesome and Guinness and bright shiny pennies..."
        http://www.allyngibson.net/

        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 17, 2009
          >Im beginning to lose faith in Pocket Books' ability to manage Star
          >Trek. Im sure TOR, Fandemonium, or another publisher would be more
          >than happy to pick up the contract and put the license back where it
          >should be... on the New York Times Best Seller list.

          If you want that to happen, neither Tor nor Fandemonium are the
          solution. The latter company was formed specifically to do STARGATE
          books. They don't have the infrastructure or staff to take on any
          other licenses.

          As for Tor, their history with tie-ins is pretty poor, as none of the
          licenses they've taken on -- FARSCAPE, ANDROMEDA, EARTH: FINAL
          CONFLICT, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA -- have been successful.

          www.DeCandido.net
          kradical.livejournal.com

          "Quickly -- before we come to our senses!"
          ---King Julien, MADAGASCAR 2
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 17, 2009
            OK, I'm confused about sizes.
            The (new-ish) Mirror & Myriad books are bigger than "regular" pb (mmpb?) but
            smaller than some of the other books, e.g. (not-so-new) Constellations,
            (brand-new) Romulan War, which I thought were Trade.
            Romulan War was $10.88 at Amazon this week.

            > Just got word that the paperback format for the Star Wars novels will be
            > the new Premium Paperback size, which is larger than the normal MMPB but
            > smaller than the Trade. (It also means i have to readjust the bookcases so
            > it will fit).
            >
            > http://www.flickr.com/photos/snarkel/3992305906/in/photostream/
            >
            > The "premium" format used is a Pocket Books Stephen King novel.
            >
            > Along with this, the price will increase to $9.99.
            >
            > I also have noticed that the space for Trek books at B&N and Borders has
            > shrunk again. Its not even a full column now. Its closer to 2/3 now.
            >
            > A) Will Trek adopt this new size?
            >
            > B) Will Trek books adopt the new price? Its been awhile since Trek books
            > got an increase.

          • Allyn Gibson
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 17, 2009
              On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 22:52:05 -0400, bj wrote:

              > OK, I'm confused about sizes.

              There are a couple of different sizes.

              There's a regular mass-market and a premium mass-market. The regular
              mass-market is something like, say, DESTINY. The premium mass market is
              about an inch taller.

              Trade paperbacks come in several different sizes. The Mirror Universe
              books and CONSTELLATIONS, while different sizes, are both considered trade
              paperbacks.

              The major difference between mass-markets and trades is not the size of
              the book, however. It's how bookstores are allowed to handle returns for
              credit. Mass-markets are strippable; in other words, the bookstores need
              only to send back the covers. Trades are not strippable; they must be
              returned in full.

              Allyn

              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 18, 2009
                Oh, thanks for the primer.

                > On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 22:52:05 -0400, bj wrote:
                >
                >> OK, I'm confused about sizes.
                >
                > There are a couple of different sizes.
                >
                > There's a regular mass-market and a premium mass-market. The regular
                > mass-market is something like, say, DESTINY. The premium mass market is
                > about an inch taller.
                >
                > Trade paperbacks come in several different sizes. The Mirror Universe
                > books and CONSTELLATIONS, while different sizes, are both considered trade
                > paperbacks.
                >
                > The major difference between mass-markets and trades is not the size of
                > the book, however. It's how bookstores are allowed to handle returns for
                > credit. Mass-markets are strippable; in other words, the bookstores need
                > only to send back the covers. Trades are not strippable; they must be
                > returned in full.

              • Kathy Agel
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 18, 2009

                  >There's a regular mass-market and a premium mass-market. The regular
                  >mass-market is something like, say, DESTINY. The premium mass market is
                  >about an inch taller.

                  And these are nothing more than a way to separate the reader from
                  her/his money. You get no more for the extra expense -- except pain
                  in your hands because the books are next to impossible to hold
                  comfortably. And this directly contradicts the initial statements by
                  the publishers, saying that they were developed to be kinder to aging
                  Baby Boomers. They have increased leading, which is supposed to make
                  them easier on the eyes (I find the direct opposite -- too much
                  leading gives me eyestrain), and the new size was supposed to be
                  easier to hold. Trust me -- as part of the supposed target audience,
                  I hate them. They hurt like hell unless you break the spine of the book.

                  And I resent being lied to by publishers. The new design wasn't based
                  on altruism -- they saw a way to make more money off readers, but
                  knew they had to find a way to couch it in terms that made them sound
                  less greedy. It didn't work. I'm voting with my pocketbook, and
                  refuse to buy them.

                • Elyod Trebor
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 20, 2009
                    I was more referring to Paramount pulling the license from Pocket Books, a technique that they have done before in the past with other Trek licenses.

                    I checked the Locus Magazine best-seller list going back to January 2008 and was surprised what i found. Star Trek never had more than two top listings (twice), ranked #1 once, usually had one top listing, and wasnt always on the board. Star Wars, however, held all top rankings twice and averaged three top ranks a month.

                    Excluding the movie adaptation of Star Trek making the NYT list, its been 12 (twelve) years since a Trek novel made the list. That was William Shatner's Star Trek: Avenger. Star Wars has remained on the NYT list since it was relaunched in 1991.

                    This is how i see things based on everyone's comments and actions.

                    Making the Country Songs List (Locus Magazine) is enough, since its genre (SyFy).
                    Making the Hot-100 Songs List or Top 200 Albums (NYT) is no longer a goal since you (Pocket Books) can chart a genre list.

                    So instead of great writers and stories going to the A list, they settle for doing the minor leagues instead.

                    It appears to me that SW is more structured and planned than Trek. SW is 32. I dont see them rebooting at age 43.
                  • Trevor
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 21, 2009
                      --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, "Elyod Trebor" <BlackcoatCowboy@...> wrote:

                      > I was more referring to Paramount pulling the license from Pocket >Books, a technique that they have done before in the past with other >Trek licenses.

                      Paramount no longer issues the Trek licenses. That's handled by CBS. And considering that CBS 'owns' Simon & Schuster it would take quite a bit for CBS to take the Star Trek rights away from their own company and give them to a competitor.

                      As for the licenses for the Star Trek movies, again those would most likely be handled by CBS on behalf of Paramount because Viacom (Paramount's parent company) and CBS (the parent company of CBS TV and Simon & Schuster) are owned by National Amusements.

                      > I checked the Locus Magazine best-seller list going back to January >2008 and was surprised what i found. Star Trek never had more than >two top listings (twice), ranked #1 once, usually had one top >listing, and wasnt always on the board. Star Wars, however, held all >top rankings twice and averaged three top ranks a month.
                      >
                      > Excluding the movie adaptation of Star Trek making the NYT list, >its been 12 (twelve) years since a Trek novel made the list. That >was William Shatner's Star Trek: Avenger. Star Wars has remained on >the NYT list since it was relaunched in 1991.

                      Well David R. George's "Serpent Amongst the Ruins" (Star Trek Lost Era) hit the New York Time Bestsellers list back in September 2003, and in December 2003 the "Lost Era" series was proclaimed a 'New York Times Bestselling Series'.

                      Plus the 'Star Trek: Titan' series (2005- ) has been proclaimed a 'USA Today Bestselling Series'.

                      And while I haven't heard or been able to find out if "Full Circle" and "Unworthy" (Star Trek Voyager) have hit any Bestsellers lists, I do recall that "Homecoming/Farther Shore" (2003) and the "Spirit Walk" (2004) books did hit the New York Times (possible even the USA Today) Bestsellers lists in their respective years.

                      So to say that it has been over a decade since a Trek book last hit a bestsellers list such as the New York Times or USA Today is not the truth.

                      > This is how i see things based on everyone's comments and actions.
                      >
                      > Making the Country Songs List (Locus Magazine) is enough, since its genre (SyFy).
                      > Making the Hot-100 Songs List or Top 200 Albums (NYT) is no longer a goal since you (Pocket Books) can chart a genre list.
                      >
                      > So instead of great writers and stories going to the A list, they settle for doing the minor leagues instead.
                      >
                      > It appears to me that SW is more structured and planned than Trek. SW is 32. I dont see them rebooting at age 43.

                      I don't see how Country Song lists or Hot-100 Songs lists have anything to do with Trek, unless you are referring to Trek soundtrack albums.

                      As for Star Wars those authors only have 7 movies to work with, while Star Trek authors have 11 movies and more than 700 hours of television episodes to deal with. So unless George Lucas puts a show on TV based on Star Wars, then Wars and Trek are about as far apart as you can get with entertainment franchises when you consider which has the bigger marketing position.

                      Trevor
                    • yahoo42@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 21, 2009
                        At 05:58 PM 10/21/2009, you wrote:

                        >As for Star Wars those authors only have 7 movies to work with,
                        >while Star Trek authors have 11 movies and more than 700 hours of
                        >television episodes to deal with. So unless George Lucas puts a
                        >show on TV based on Star Wars, then Wars and Trek are about as far
                        >apart as you can get with entertainment franchises when you consider
                        >which has the bigger marketing position.

                        What about The Clone Wars that's on TV now?

                        Jon
                      • Elyod Trebor
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 22, 2009
                          Here's the recent article with that information. Its the second paragraph.

                          http://trekmovie.com/2009/05/21/star-trek-adaptation-makes-new-york-times-bestseller-list/

                          Ive never heard of or seen the USA list or even the Locus for that matter.

                          Its called an analogy. Its where you compare one thing to another.

                          Locus Magazine = Country Song List = Targeted Audience
                          NYT List = Hot-100 and/or Top 200 Albums List = General Audience

                          Whats better? Making the country song list, which deals specifically for genre? Or making the hot-100 and/or top 200 albums lists, which is the pivotal list to be on? So sure, the country list is great. You generally hold one spot of the top five. Yet your competitor generally holds two spots of the top five and also makes the hot-100 and/or top 200 albums lists constantly since 1991.

                          I was referring to the license as a whole, not just the movies. But it has been yanked before for merchandising.

                          Actually, Star Wars has had and continues to have tv series. Droids. Ewoks. Two Ewok live-action movies. Clone Wars mini-series. The Clone Wars. And an upcoming live-action series.

                          You are right that the two franchises are far apart. Star Wars reaches for more people. The kids playing at a wedding i just photographed were playing Star Wars, not Trek. When kids are at a toy store, they buy SW not Trek items. How many times has SW soundtracks been re-released and/or tweeked over the years? Four times. Trek has only re-released two soundtracks.

                          Star Wars is more accepted by society than Trek. Someone shows up from the 501st and its kool. Someone shows up in a Trek blouse and she's removed from the jury.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 22, 2009
                            From: "Elyod Trebor" <BlackcoatCowboy@...>

                            > Star Wars is more accepted by society than Trek. Someone shows up from the
                            > 501st and its kool. Someone shows up in a Trek blouse and she's removed
                            > from the jury.

                            heh heh.
                            I'll have to remember that & wear my ST tee shirt next time I get called
                            (which I have been on a regular basis over the past 30+ years).

                            OTOH I do see all sorts of outfits being worn in the jury room so I don't
                            know that anything is per se unacceptable, though some judges are pickier
                            than others about what they will allow in their courtroom.

                            I usually get removed for other reasons, though.
                            bj
                          • BEVERLY HALL
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 22, 2009
                              I have never been called to jury duty - but am more than willing to dress in the little blue tos mini for it. I am feeling a little torn about whether I should consider ducking my civic duty or letting the bluehairs at it. I will confess I hope the issue never acutally arises.

                              > Star Wars is more accepted by society than Trek. Someone shows up from the
                              > 501st and its kool. Someone shows up in a Trek blouse and she's removed
                              > from the jury.

                              heh heh.
                              I'll have to remember that & wear my ST tee shirt next time I get called
                              (which I have been on a regular basis over the past 30+ years).

                              OTOH I do see all sorts of outfits being worn in the jury room so I don't
                              know that anything is per se unacceptable, though some judges are pickier
                              than others about what they will allow in their courtroom.

                              I usually get removed for other reasons, though.

                            • writer021a
                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 22, 2009
                                --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, yahoo42@... wrote:

                                > At 05:58 PM 10/21/2009, you wrote:
                                >
                                > >As for Star Wars those authors only have 7 movies to work with,
                                > >while Star Trek authors have 11 movies and more than 700 hours of
                                > >television episodes to deal with. So unless George Lucas puts a
                                > >show on TV based on Star Wars, then Wars and Trek are about as far
                                > >apart as you can get with entertainment franchises when you consider
                                > >which has the bigger marketing position.
                                >
                                > What about The Clone Wars that's on TV now?
                                >
                                > Jon

                                The Clone Wars is in its second season now, with more new episodes coming in November. There is also a live-action series in the works, which according to rumor, will star Boba Fett.

                                Camren T. Burton
                              • Kathy Agel
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 29, 2010
                                  > Someone shows up in a Trek blouse and she's removed from the jury.

                                  It wasn't a blouse -- it was a full uniform, and it was an utterly
                                  ridiculous thing to do. Show a little respect, for Sith's sake. What
                                  a jerk she was.

                                • Kathy Agel
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 29, 2010

                                    >the National League East is a more forgiving division than the American
                                    >League East.

                                    Every division in baseball is a more forgiving division than the AL
                                    East. And the National League is a softer league, as well.

                                    Yankees in 6.

                                  • Kathy Agel
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jan 29, 2010

                                      >If from MD. Its all ORIOLES down there.

                                      But if you go to Camden Yards when the Yankees are in town, and
                                      you'll see at least as many Yankee fans in the stands as O's fans --
                                      if not more. The same goes for Tropicana Field (and I intend to be
                                      one of those interlopers in Yankee blue after we move to Florida next month).

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jan 29, 2010
                                        Kathy & Gang, Up here in ME. if its not stuff showing the logo of U Maine, Orono, its either the Portland Sea Dogs, Bosox, NE Pats, Celtics or Boston Bruins. Very little Yankees stuff is seen up here except in the chain sports related stores.
                                        BoSox in 6

                                        Don H.

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jan 29, 2010
                                          On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 08:23:05 -0500, Kathy Agel wrote:

                                          >> If from MD. Its all ORIOLES down there.
                                          >
                                          > But if you go to Camden Yards when the Yankees are in town, and
                                          > you'll see at least as many Yankee fans in the stands as O's fans --
                                          > if not more.

                                          It's actually worse when the Red Sox are in town than the Yankees. Sox
                                          fans turn Camden Yards into Fenway South. ('Sokay. I've been to Nats
                                          Park when Cubs fans turned that into Wrigley East.) It's an easy day trip
                                          from both cities -- Boston and New York -- to Baltimore, and factoring in
                                          time, gasoline, and tickets, coming to Baltimore is an affordable way for
                                          those out-of-towners to see the hometown nine.

                                          And we're not -all- Orioles fans in Baltimore. I'm a Cubs fan, and the
                                          Nats are my "local" team.

                                          Allyn

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jan 29, 2010

                                            >And we're not -all- Orioles fans in Baltimore. I'm a Cubs fan, and the
                                            >Nats are my "local" team.

                                            Heresy! You root for another team in your league? I could see that if
                                            they were playing your team's biggest rival (we just moved to Florida
                                            two months ago -- *after* the World Series was over -- and I hope to
                                            get tickets to the Trop when Boston comes in to play the Rays, I'll
                                            go to the games in full Yankee regalia and root for Tampa Bay --
                                            loudly! Of course, I hope to get tickets when the Yankees come in to
                                            play the Rays, too), but to have another team in your league to root
                                            for on a regular basis?

                                          • Kathy Agel
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jan 29, 2010

                                              >Kathy & Gang, Up here in ME. if its not stuff showing the logo of U
                                              >Maine, Orono, its either the Portland Sea Dogs, Bosox, NE Pats,
                                              >Celtics or Boston Bruins. Very little Yankees stuff is seen up here
                                              >except in the chain sports related stores.

                                              You see very little Boston-related merchandise in the NYC area --
                                              unless it's anti-Boston (I hope they redo the Scoreboard, Do the
                                              Math, Got Rings? and History 101 Yankee tees soon -- all of mine are
                                              out of date now. They all reference the 26 World Championships and
                                              need to be redone to account for the 27th. :)

                                              >BoSox in 6

                                              You can dream.... :)

                                            • Allyn Gibson
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jan 29, 2010
                                                On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 20:24:00 -0500, Kathy Agel wrote:

                                                > Heresy! You root for another team in your league?

                                                Is not! When the Nats play the Cubs, my loyalties are firmly with the
                                                Cubs.

                                                Otherwise, the Nats need all the fans they can get. :)

                                                'Course, I think the Nats will have a winning season and contend in the
                                                National League East before the Orioles have a winning season and contend
                                                in the American League East.

                                                Allyn

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jan 29, 2010

                                                  >Is not! When the Nats play the Cubs, my loyalties are firmly with the
                                                  >Cubs.

                                                  I would certainly hope so! But they're still another team in your
                                                  league. The only reason I'd have a rooting interest in the Rays would
                                                  be if they were playing Boston (hating the Sox is in my genes). The
                                                  enemy of my enemy.... I have to say I have a small rooting interest
                                                  in one of the players on the Braves -- Melky Cabrera (who was traded
                                                  for Home Run Javy Vasquez, who has already proven he can't handle the
                                                  NY market. When will Brian Cashman learn his lesson about bring
                                                  national League pitchers over to the AL East?).

                                                  >Otherwise, the Nats need all the fans they can get. :)

                                                  <snert>

                                                  >'Course, I think the Nats will have a winning season and contend in the
                                                  >National League East before the Orioles have a winning season and contend
                                                  >in the American League East.

                                                  Outside of the Phillies (who have the construction of an American
                                                  league team), there's no real comparison between the two divisions.

                                                  9who