Review: Star Trek The Next Generation #29 Sins of Commission

  • trevthurlow
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2009
      Star Trek The Next Generation
      #29 Sins of Commission
      Published March 1994

      Plot: The Enterprise has been called to the planet Lessenar to help clean up some ecological disasters. Once there the Enterprise is met by a starliner that is owned and operated by an old-friend of Worf's family. But the starliner is carrying a travelling group of aliens who communciate by telepathic emanations, plus a Ferengi. When a bomb goes off and cripples the starliner, forcing the Picard and crew to evacuate everyone to the Enterprise, including the telepathic aliens, mayhem ensues with the aliens bring the deepest emotions of the crew to the surface. Can Counsellor Troi and Lieutenant Worf find a way to keep peace with the Ferengi and calm everyone down on the Enterprise.

      Review: If you are wondering why the planet is only mentioned once in my plot write-up, then I've got to ask the same thing about the cover blurb, since the cover write-up for "Sins Of Commission" made it sound like Lessenar was an important plot point to the story, however, aside from one major scene within the first 6 chapters, the rest of the book only made mention of the planet whenever someone looked out a window and saw the Enterprise, starliner and later the Ferengi ship, orbiting the planet. Otherwise, aside from a couple of lines on the viewscreen within the last 10 chapters, and two or three paragraphs Chapter 24 (last chapter of the book), the planet is all but forgotten.

      Of course, I think it might've made the book more interesting had more time been spent on the political situation on the planet, since I was really getting tired of reading about the Sli and their effects on the crew, and how they were overpowering Troi's abilities and even causing Worf intestinal discomfort.

      Of course, considering that this was Susan Wright's first Star Trek novel (or was her first novel period?) I think we can give it a little bit of leniency, since she did do a great job on "Violations" (Star Trek Voyager #4), "The Tempest" (Star Trek Deep Space Nine #19) and even "The Badlands" duology.

      Rating: 5.0 out of 10