Re: [Star Trek Books] 2010 Book Titles and Storylines

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 11, 2009
        That was my first thought too.  But the leap forward is for just his story I think.

      I am excited to see Margaret Wander Bonanno is doing a new book.  Also intrigued by the SD Perry book and the Seven Deadly Sins anthology.

      Jackie

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 11, 2009
        Whoops, yes I missed that one on first skim.

        What I particularly like is the fact the Vulcan JJVerse book will be written
        by David Mack.

        I also like the fact that Chris Bennet is in the mix.

        And I hope that Alan Dean gets a chance to redeem himself with "Refugees". J

        Ian

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 12, 2009
          From: "Jackie Bundy" <msferengi@...>
          Subject: Re: [Star Trek Books] 2010 Book Titles and Storylines

          That was my first thought too. But the leap forward is for just his story I
          think.

          Jackie
          -----------------

          That's what I'm hoping. That the leap forward is for just this one story,
          or at the very least that they'll continue to tell stories in the gap
          (between 2377 & 2382) while continuing on the 2382 route as well. That
          would seem to have really great potential, if they handled it right. And I
          have complete faith in David R. George III to tell a great DS9 story. Also
          happy to see the Aventine novel; I know it's not DS9 centric, but having
          Ezri and Sam out and about feels like some DS9 love. I'm also optimistic
          about DS9's chances in the '7 Deadly Sins' analogy as several of those
          selections (Cardassians, Klingons, Ferengi, and Mirror Universe) have ties
          to DS9.

          Excited for another New Frontier story. New Titan / Next Generation -
          though the lateness of the entries is a bummer.

          Some of the Classic Trek themed books sound cool (looking forward to the MU
          expansion - the original version was my favorite of the bunch), but the way
          they're giving them all in one big chunk of time feels unbalanced -
          especially with the absence of Voyager / Enterprise / S.C.E. & Vanguard.
          The NuTrek books sound interesting, yet I'm not sure I'm interested in
          reading books set during what is basically a continuing series of films.
          Just as I didn't get into the books for the tv shows until they were all
          post-series, when they were less likely to be contradicted by 'real' Trek.

          And that's my opinion really. I'm happy with what we're getting, but
          slightly disappointed by what we are not. But I'm sure others have been in
          my shoes in previous years.

          Bald Jason
        • Ian McFarlane
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 12, 2009
            In regards to the TOS stories, I'm really glad they are at least not doing
            another one set during the first 5 year mission. Sweet Lord.just how many
            adventures could that crew have had in 5 years!!

            In regards to DS9, I think that there's certainly plenty of potential for
            doing more stories about the 5 year gap. J

            However, I suspect that it will be 2011 or 2012 before we see what truly
            transpired.

            I think that one of the factors here is that we no longer have 2 mass market
            paperbacks per month.

            We'd have to have increased reader demand for that.

            What I did find interesting though is that when I wandered into a Manhattan
            Borders in early June or late May, I did take note that a larger than usual
            number of copies of "TroubleSome Minds" was out on the shelves. This was in
            the wake of the new movie. When I walked into a neighborhood Barnes and
            Nobles in the earlier part of this month, I also noticed a larger than usual
            supply of "Losing the Peace".

            So who knows, maybe if the new movie is revitalizing an interest in things
            Trek, we'll see an increase in book frequency.

            But that's just rampant silly speculation of course.

            ;->

            iMac

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 12, 2009
              Of course it is also going to be interesting to see if William Shatner and the Reeves-Stevens will return sometime in 2011 onward with the follow-up to Shatner's "Collision Course". But, I guess we'll just have to wait till that book is announced.