Re: [Star Trek Books] Re: Full Circle

  • David Young
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 14, 2009
      Being a children's librarian at a public library, I can say, however, that
      either way it ends up helping the library. The donated books either make
      their way into the collection (a very good way to get current popular titles
      which haven't made their way through the formal ordering process yet or
      which we need additional copies of; for instance, I saw a copy of TWILIGHT
      one day sitting on the Friends book sale shelves and made sure that it made
      its way to our teens librarian as we can't keep that particular series in
      stock it's so popular) or they get put into one of the Friends book sales,
      the revenues of which go back into the library to purchase other books,
      needed supplies, improvements, etc.

      Sure, it doesn't guarantee that your book will go on the library's shelves,
      but it does still help the library (and, to tell you the truth, if it's a
      mass market paperback then it's likely going to have a relatively short
      shelf life in a public library, anyway).

      **********
      David Young
      Atlanta, GA

> [...]

    • trevthurlow
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 14, 2009
        --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, David Young <youngtrek@...> wrote:

        > (and, to tell you the truth, if it's a
        > mass market paperback then it's likely going to have a relatively short
        > shelf life in a public library, anyway).
        >

        > **********
        > David Young
        > Atlanta, GA

        Oh yeah, I've seen some Trek, Hardy Boys, Tom Swift and Nancy Drew mass-market paperbacks at my local library in years gone by that maybe had the cover haning on by, quite literally, a "thread" of paper.

        Trevor
      • Kathy Agel
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 16, 2009
          >Sure, it doesn't guarantee that your book will go on the library's shelves,
          >but it does still help the library (and, to tell you the truth, if it's a
          >mass market paperback then it's likely going to have a relatively short
          >shelf life in a public library, anyway).

          Actually, mass-market PBs are what our library is looking for. I
          called their business office about donating books, and was told fine,
          but no hardcovers.
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 16, 2009
            >>Sure, it doesn't guarantee that your book will go on the library's
            >>shelves,
            >>but it does still help the library (and, to tell you the truth, if it's a
            >>mass market paperback then it's likely going to have a relatively short
            >>shelf life in a public library, anyway).
            >
            > Actually, mass-market PBs are what our library is looking for. I
            > called their business office about donating books, and was told fine,
            > but no hardcovers.

            I had just wanted to point out that every system has its own rules, needs, &
            restrictions (all changeable from time to time!) & sometimes vary branch to
            branch as to what they can or will take. My local mini-branch doesn't have
            room to collect anything extra (last time I looked) but did have a sign
            saying where what could be taken.

            I usually give my cast-offs to either Goodwill or a local school that has a
            24-hour drop-off area where they collect for a yearly sale.