Re: Older Trek Books

  • Linda Wrage
    Message 1 of 16 , May 8, 2009
      I read older Trek books a lot -- and I still have so many that I haven't read yet. Right now I'm reading the Destiny trilogy, but before that I read an older one called "Shell Game."  I enjoy the older ones a lot too.  I haven't read "Federation" yet, but I do have it.  I read "Dwellers in the Crucible" and I really enjoyed that one.

      Linda W.

      Message 2 of 16 , May 8, 2009
        I'm reading an older book titled "The Klingon Gambit". It says that it was published in 1984. Its ok, so far but nothing too memorable.

        > Anyone reading older Trek books?  I just started Federation and am looking forward to reading Dwellers in the Crucible after that.<
      • Mark McAdams
        Message 3 of 16 , May 8, 2009
          a few years back i started recollecting
          all the novels and reading them from
          the beginning in order of publication.
          so far i am up to the ds9 book bloodletter.
          it's going to take forever to catch up.

          Sent from my iPhone

        • AKINSSR@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 16 , May 8, 2009
            I've read all the older novels involving the original Trek beginning with "The Entrophy Effect"? including some from the early and mid-70's.? I have almost all of the Next Generation novels but haven't read a lot of them. I've also read some of the DS9 novels set before the series ended and have enjoyed them. I'd like to go ahead and get the rest of them since I love DS9 so much and am loving the relaunch novels.? It's been so long since I've read the original Trek novels that I could probably start all over and enjoy them!?? Reesa

            so far i am up to the ds9 book bloodletter.
            it's going to take forever to catch up.

            Sent from my iPhone

            On May 8, 2009, at 8:16 PM, "leroyholmesjr" <leroyholmesjr@...> wrote:

            I'm reading an older book titled "The Klingon Gambit". It says that it was published in 1984. Its ok, so far but nothing too memorable.

            > Anyone reading older Trek books? I just started Federation and am looking forward to reading Dwellers in the Crucible after that.<

          • Andrew Brown
            Message 5 of 16 , May 8, 2009

              > Anyone reading older Trek books? I just started Federation and am looking
              > forward to reading Dwellers in the Crucible after that.

              I love re-reading my old Trek books. Admittedly, they have to be
              *good*ones. Among the best is '
              *Federation*'. It's quite possibly *the *best. Dwellers in the Crucible is
              one I'm not sure about; it is very well written, but at the last time I read
              it -- many, *many* years ago -- I don't think of it as primarily a Star Trek
              story. It's set in the Star Trek *universe*, but has little to really do
              with our primary characters. I thought it contained lots of cool
              'world-building' information on the Deltans and is a good story in and of
              itself. I may need to re-read it myself in my current frame of mind and from
              this point of view..

              Andy
              --
              http://www.starbase23.net

              "A nation trying to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a
              bucket and trying to pull himself up by the handles." - Sir Winston
              Churchill

              The Doctor: �Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink.�
              Mickey: �Wot�s that?�
              The Doctor: �No idea. Just made it up. Didn�t want to say �Magic Door�.�
              - Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

            • Andrew Brown
              Message 6 of 16 , May 8, 2009
                OMG the Klingon Gambit. That's definitely an example of the lower end of the
                Trek writing talent pool. My first ever ST novel, and I got it after
                believing the cool picture of the Klingon battlecruiser on the cover and a
                cleverly written blurb on the back. That blurb was the best written partof
                the whole thing, and this novel is a prime example of the old maxim, "Never
                judge a book by its cover".
                Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT read 'Mutiny on the Enterprise' by the same author.
                Truly horrifically bad writing.

                Andy

                2009/5/8 leroyholmesjr <leroyholmesjr@...>

                > I'm reading an older book titled "The Klingon Gambit". It says that it was
                > published in 1984. Its ok, so far but nothing too memorable.
                >
                > > Anyone reading older Trek books? I just started Federation and am
                > looking forward to reading Dwellers in the Crucible after that.<

                --
                http://www.starbase23.net

                "A nation trying to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a
                bucket and trying to pull himself up by the handles." - Sir Winston
                Churchill

                The Doctor: �Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink.�
                Mickey: �Wot�s that?�
                The Doctor: �No idea. Just made it up. Didn�t want to say �Magic Door�.�
                - Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

              • Ian Fieldsend
                Message 7 of 16 , May 9, 2009
                  Federation is one of my favourites, as I recall it came out about the same time as Generations (had both captains and Cochrane) and I thought it was a better story than Star Trek 7. I also love The Entropy Effect where Kirk dies and the time travel element.

                  Ian

                  --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, "bj" <bjones44@...> wrote:

                  > From: "ASportzFan" <asportzfan@...>
                  > Anyone reading older Trek books? I just started Federation and am looking
                  > forward to reading Dwellers in the Crucible after that.
                  >
                  > ASF
                  > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

                  > I do. I read an assortment, from the really old ones to some of the new ones
                  > as they're coming out. Depends on my mood & what stories tweak my interest
                  > when I'm ready for a "new book". I have a Big Pile to choose from.
                  >
                  > I've recently read the Destiny books, as a detour from a re-read of the SCE
                  > books from the beginning, then got back to the SCE books -- I'm in
                  > mid-Creative Couplings now.
                  >
                  > Since I don't remember a lot of what's in the books, I find that I have to
                  > re-read the older ones in any series before tackling the newest one -- OK
                  > maybe it's not *required* but it's more fun that way.
                  >
                  > I have a big pile (old & new books) waiting but don't know what I'll decide
                  > on next. Maybe the new Titan while I can still understand *some* of the
                  > references to what went on before.
                  >
                  > I don't expect to *ever* run out of ST books! An ever-expanding universe, as
                  > well as re-visiting the old places (books).
                  > bj

                • BEVERLY HALL
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 9, 2009
                    oh. remember loving both. I read them so long ago - I am afraid my discriminatory sense wasn't very well cultivated at the time!  I am amazed at the quality of some of the current stuff.  KRAD and Beyer and Ward - some astonishing stuff.  But dusting off the oldies is like meeting your oldest pals at your old college bar and having another Long Island Iced Tea just for old times sake. One big difference is now I know to stop at one or two!!!

                    OMG the Klingon Gambit. That's definitely an example of the lower end of the
                    Trek writing talent pool. My first ever ST novel, and I got it after
                    believing the cool picture of the Klingon battlecruiser on the cover and a
                    cleverly written blurb on the back. That blurb was the best written partof
                    the whole thing, and this novel is a prime example of the old maxim, "Never
                    judge a book by its cover".
                    Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT read 'Mutiny on the Enterprise' by the same author.
                    Truly horrifically bad writing.

                    Andy

                    2009/5/8 leroyholmesjr <leroyholmesjr@...>

                    > I'm reading an older book titled "The Klingon Gambit". It says that it was
                    > published in 1984. Its ok, so far but nothing too memorable.
                    >
                    > > Anyone reading older Trek books?  I just started Federation and am
                    > looking forward to reading Dwellers in the Crucible after that.<

                    --
                    http://www.starbase23.net

                    "A nation trying to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a
                    bucket and trying to pull himself up by the handles." - Sir Winston
                    Churchill

                    The Doctor: “Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink.”
                    Mickey: “Wot’s that?”
                    The Doctor: “No idea. Just made it up. Didn’t want to say ‘Magic Door’.”
                    - Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

                  • trevthurlow
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 9, 2009
                      --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, ASportzFan <asportzfan@...> wrote:

                      > Anyone reading older Trek books?  I just started Federation and am looking forward to reading Dwellers in the Crucible after that.
                      >
                      > ASF

                      I read Federation a few years ago and I thought that it was really good. I still haven't read "Dwellers in the Crucible", even though I've got the book on my overflowing shelves. But for me, I'll never have run out of a "new" Star Trek book to read, since I've only been reading the books for 15 years.

                      But I've still managed to read some of the books from the 60's and 70's.

                      But to date, my favorite series would have to be the Voyager series (original line + Season 8 books), with the Deep Space Nine Season 8 & 9 line coming in second, followed by the TNG line (original & relaunch).

                      Trevor
                    • leroyholmesjr
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 9, 2009
                        Well, I was trying to be a little more gracious in my critiqueing of this book, because we never know when any particular author might happen to drop by. I didn't want to bash somebody's work. Seeing that I just got back, I wanted to wait a little while before jumping in and stirring up some rousing, controversial discussions as I have been known to do in the past. But, since you already said it, I find it very hard to finish this book, even though it is short.

                        > OMG the Klingon Gambit. That's definitely an example of the lower end of the Trek writing talent pool. My first ever ST novel, and I got it after believing the cool picture of the Klingon battlecruiser on the cover and a cleverly written blurb on the back. That blurb was the best written part of the whole thing, and this novel is a prime example of the old maxim, "Never judge a book by its cover". Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT read 'Mutiny on the Enterprise' by the same author.
                        Truly horrifically bad writing.<
                      • James Sorensen
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 10, 2009
                          Yes,
                           I am reading ST:TNG #36  Into The Nebula. I own all the fiction that has been printed and I'm reading them all chronologically by publishing date. I've reached July 1995. So I'm a little lost when it comes to discussing all the latest publications. Next I will read ST:Voy. #3 Ragnorak.

                          ________________________________
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 15, 2009
                            Graciousness is to be much desired, especially when feelings might be hurt.
                            I'm certain a lot of people don't care about what I write about, or possibly
                            think it's rubbish, but I haven't been published. I kinda expect better of
                            published writers, and even though experience has taught me otherwise, I
                            refuse to completely give up that point of view.

                            Which is why I feel I can point out that I didn't/don't like someone else's
                            work. :) There're a few writers in particular I just completely disagree
                            with in their portrayal of characters, but having been a fanatical Trekkie
                            for quite a while (I'm recovering now and I'm merely an "enthusiastic Star
                            Trek fan") I read everything that I could get my hands on.

                            Andy

                            Message 13 of 16 , May 15, 2009
                              Oh Andy, I completely agree with you and normally would say that something was crap or it didn't make sense, or I didn't agree with what the author did, but over the years, I have gotten into some, lets just say "spirited or heated" discussions with both fellow group members and authors. Some so spitited that I have learned to ummm...temper my statements a little.