Warpath

  • trevthurlow
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2009
      I finshed "Olympus Descending" this morning, and I wanted to find out what had happened to Captain Kira and Lieutenant Ro, since David R. George III sort of left their stories dangling. And I'm not to sure what the whole sequence about 2 different Tarana'tar's was about, with the memories of the flight of the female founder and killing Captain Kira at Ananke Alpha, and yet not killing Kira and the residents of Ananka Alpha in an attempt to allow the Founder to escape.

      Anyway I picked up "Warpath" by David Mack this morning, and it seems to be really good. I'm only on Chapter 2 so far, since I had to work today, but it feels like the book could've been printed in the same binding as "Olympus Descending".

      One question though, after reading "Warpath", should I read "Saturn's Children", by Sarah Shaw before "Fearful Symmetry"?

      Trevor
    • menes@gothboy.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2009
        "Saturn's Children" might be helpful, but it's not intrinsic. It's like a
        nice bonus I think. Chronologically it takes place during DS9's final
        season I think. It just kind of bridges some stories and explains a bit why
        certain characters that were left in one place are in different places when
        we meet them again. I guess what I'm saying is that if you get to the end
        of "Warpath" and you feel that you're super confused - "Saturn's Children"
        might help a bit. Also, I just want to warn you that "Fearful Symmetry",
        while being a great read, doesn't resolve this ongoing story the way many
        fans expected - as like "Saturn's Children" it's more an explanation of
        what's going on and a set up for what's to come. And I only tell you that
        so that your expectations will be different because a lot of comments from
        people that read it seem to imply they were disappointed with the lack of a
        conclusion (the book was LONG delayed and people were tired of waiting for
        the big finish) - though what we do get is fantastic. Thankfully "The Soul
        Key" will be out in August! ;-0)

        Have you read the Terok Nor Trilogy? If not, I recommend those as well as
        they are rich in DS9 continuity and tie into the Relaunch in some subtle
        ways as well.

        Bald Jason

        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2009
          I read the first volume of the Terok Nor Trilogy, which I found started off slow, but then got more interesting. Unfortunately when I started Volume 2 I found that the book was just plodding along, not really picking up speed, and I lost interest in the book. And even though I've got Volume 3, I still have not picked it up.

          Trevor

          --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, <menes@...> wrote:

          > Have you read the Terok Nor Trilogy? If not, I recommend those as well as
          > they are rich in DS9 continuity and tie into the Relaunch in some subtle
          > ways as well.
          >
          > Bald Jason
        • Matthew Goff
          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2009
            never heard of "Olympus Descending" or "Saturn's Children". I used to check bn.com twice a month for new star trek book and have never heard of either of these.

            Message 5 of 5 , May 3, 2009
              >never heard of "Olympus Descending" or "Saturn's Children". I used
              >to check bn.com twice a month for new star trek book and have never
              >heard of either of these.

              Both of those are short novels that are share space with other short
              novels in single books. OLYMPUS DESCENDING is the DOMINION half of
              WORLDS OF STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE Volume 3. SATURN'S CHILDREN is
              the DS9 third of MIRROR UNIVERSE: OBSIDIAN ALLIANCES.

              www.DeCandido.net
              kradical.livejournal.com

              "Quickly -- before we come to our senses!"
              ---King Julien, MADAGASCAR 2