Voyager Full Circle -extremely teensy spoiler

  • Paul Dicks
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 25, 2009
      After sleeping on it (never ever try sleeping on a book) I have come to the uninformed conclusion that it is the fault of the editors that Ms. Beyer had to catch up on half a decade of Voyager history in one book. Must have been a daunting assignment, but she carried it off very very well.

      I woke up this morning with the thought "they are going into the Delta quadrant with Voyager and a bunch of science vessels? They should bring a couple of Galaxys, at least, if there are any left after the Borg." Then, I grabbed the book, looked over the composition of the group, and thought "what is a Vesta?" A quick Yahoo search, and voila. So, yes, I think they have enough firepower. But, shouldn't there be a resupply ship with a LOT of quantum torpedoes and spare parts? And, is our favourite symbiont coming along for the ride? If they are taking 3 of the 7 Vestas, those are good odds.

      Take care, Paul
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 25, 2009
        >I woke up this morning with the thought "they are going into the
        >Delta quadrant with Voyager and a bunch of science vessels? They
        >should bring a couple of Galaxys, at least, if there are any left
        >after the Borg." Then, I grabbed the book, looked over the
        >composition of the group, and thought "what is a Vesta?" A quick
        >Yahoo search, and voila. So, yes, I think they have enough
        >firepower. But, shouldn't there be a resupply ship with a LOT of
        >quantum torpedoes and spare parts? And, is our favourite symbiont
        >coming along for the ride? If they are taking 3 of the 7 Vestas,
        >those are good odds.

        The Aventine is not part of the Delta Quadrant fleet, no.

        www.DeCandido.net
        kradical.livejournal.com

        "Quickly -- before we come to our senses!"
        ---King Julien, MADAGASCAR 2
      • trevthurlow
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 25, 2009
          --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Dicks" <cyclistpaul1@...> wrote:

          But, shouldn't there be a resupply ship with a LOT of quantum torpedoes and spare parts? > Take care, Paul

          I don't know if a resupply ship would be a good idea, since then you would have to divide the forces into two whenever you went into a major conflict (the majority of the ships would be fighting the main battle, while a few others would have to protect the cargo ship). Plus, if it was carrying a lot of quantum torpedoes and got hit or destroyed, then what would the material used in the warheads of the torpedoes become in the area that the transport was destroyed in? Would it cause the warp engines not to work, or the phasers not to fire? Or would it cause the fleet to loose more than half its resources if the supply ship blew up and took out half the fleet?

          Trevor
        • Paul Dicks
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 25, 2009
            --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, "trevthurlow" <tomswift2002@...> wrote:

            > --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Dicks" <cyclistpaul1@> wrote:
            >
            > But, shouldn't there be a resupply ship with a LOT of quantum torpedoes and spare parts? > Take care, Paul
            > >

            > I don't know if a resupply ship would be a good idea, since then you would have to divide the forces into two whenever you went into a major conflict (the majority of the ships would be fighting the main battle, while a few others would have to protect the cargo ship). Plus, if it was carrying a lot of quantum torpedoes and got hit or destroyed, then what would the material used in the warheads of the torpedoes become in the area that the transport was destroyed in? Would it cause the warp engines not to work, or the phasers not to fire? Or would it cause the fleet to loose more than half its resources if the supply ship blew up and took out half the fleet?
            >
            > Trevor

            Well, the way the fleet is described, there are 4 ships that can handle combat - Voyager and the three Vestas, and 5 science vessels that would probably blow up with one hit, so the fleet will always be split in two when there is combat, I would think. I'm just thinking about running into the Kazon, or some of the other groups with a lot of ships. Voyager only had to worry about itself. Now those four ships are going to have to carry out combat while defending 5 other ships - not the easiest thing to do on a two dimensional surface of the ocean, never mind three dimensional space. If this mission remains peaceful, that will be interesting for about 1 book. (Gee, there is only 1 book scheduled so far). With Voyager getting into a dispute about every 4th episode, the chance of combat is high, especially as some species will get their feathers rather more ruffled when they see not only Voyager, but 3 ships that are substantially more powerful. And what are they going to do when they run out of quantum torpedoes - come back and get some more?

            On another topic, I thought Enterprise had a lot of crew changes, but wow, who will still be on Voyager? Tom, Harry....anyone else that was a main character in the television series? And Tom may take off with his wife and child when they meet in the Delta quadrant. Harry wasn't the strongest character in the series; perhaps that is why he was featured so much in Full Circle. At least we know the new captain reasonably well, having read a lot about her already; should be a real treat having her jerk of an ex-husband in the same ship for this mission.

            It's going to be a tough wait for the next book.

            Take care, Paul
          • Paul Dicks
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 25, 2009
              --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, "Keith R.A. DeCandido" <krad@...> wrote:

              > >I woke up this morning with the thought "they are going into the
              > >Delta quadrant with Voyager and a bunch of science vessels? They
              > >should bring a couple of Galaxys, at least, if there are any left
              > >after the Borg." Then, I grabbed the book, looked over the
              > >composition of the group, and thought "what is a Vesta?" A quick
              > >Yahoo search, and voila. So, yes, I think they have enough
              > >firepower. But, shouldn't there be a resupply ship with a LOT of
              > >quantum torpedoes and spare parts? And, is our favourite symbiont
              > >coming along for the ride? If they are taking 3 of the 7 Vestas,
              > >those are good odds.
              >
              > The Aventine is not part of the Delta Quadrant fleet, no.
              >

              > Keith R.A. DeCandido
              > keith@...
              > www.DeCandido.net
              > kradical.livejournal.com
              >
              > "Quickly -- before we come to our senses!"
              > ---King Julien, MADAGASCAR 2

              Thanks, Keith! I guess I could have read the names of the ships in the book; that is what working 1200-0000 does to you.
            • Matthew Goff
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 30, 2009
                Okay, I have not read this book yet, trying to read the Destiny books first.

                But I got the impression from Voyager's other post-series-finale books that Chakotay would be the new captain, with Paris as First Officer. Though I know in the new book Paris isn't on the ship because BElanna went missing.
                So who is the new captain and first officer?