New Simon Says Star Trek Web Site

  • Jim Durdan
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 8, 2009
      Has anyone been to the "New" revised site?

      The old site is still in place, thank the Great Bird, because the new site
      is horrible!

      You almost get the impression that Pocket Books wants to hide the fact that
      they publish Star Trek fiction.

      Jim

    • Mary, Queen of Scots
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 8, 2009
        I buy most of my books from Fictionwise now. I was able the pre-order both Full Circle and Treason(new New Frontier book) about a week ago.

        Mary Jane

      • yahoo42@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 9, 2009
          At 11:24 PM 4/8/2009, you wrote:
          >I buy most of my books from Fictionwise now. I was able the
          >pre-order both Full Circle and Treason(new New Frontier book) about a week ago.
          >
          >Mary Jane

          Treason is currently only available in PDF and eReader. Both awful formats.

          Jon
        • Vonda N. McIntyre
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 14, 2009
            Some of my ST books are available in electronic format. (The
            publisher doesn't have to tell me about any of these, so of
            course they don't; sometimes I can dig them up but mostly I
            only encounter electronic versions when my nose gets rubbed
            in pirated copies, which I can't do anything about because I
            don't own the copyright.)

            What formats would you like to see ebooks in? I'm collecting
            information on the subject. (Examples of ebooks I've created
            can be found at http://vondanmcintyre.com/Index-Fiction.html
            -- I'd be glad of feedback.)

            Thanks in advance,

            Vonda

            Casting Dreamsnake: Help create the ideal cast at http://blog.bookviewcafe.com/2009/04/12/casting-dreamsnake/
            Book View Cafe: http://www.bookviewcafe.com/
            Home Page: http://www.vondanmcintyre.com/
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 15, 2009
              Ms. McIntyre, I'm like Adm./Capt. Kirk, I prefer my books in the dead tree format as U don't have to plug into an outlet or buy batteries to read them & 2. I don't own an E-book reader & doing that way on this public terminal in a public library would be useless as most likely you'd just get started & time would be called & you'd lose the novel in cyber space.

                Just my $1.50
              Don H.

            • Rob Shimer
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 15, 2009
                Ya know if I wrote a book I'd keep a copy of it myself so I won't have to dig one up when I wanted to read it.

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 15, 2009
                  I was only talking about the legitimate electronic version.
                  Since we were in fact talking about ebooks I didn't think it
                  necessary to mention my hard-copy manuscript, my electronic
                  files, or the print editions, of which there are many
                  (though more than I have copies of), and I certainly didn't
                  expect to be ridiculed for a decision made by the publisher.

                  Vonda

                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 15, 2009
                    The only format I've been using for eBooks is eReader (Palm).

                    I'm beginning to covet a Kindle though.

                    Jackie

                    ________________________________

                    On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 08:19:40 -0400, yahoo42@comcast. net
                    wrote:

                    >At 11:24 PM 4/8/2009, you wrote:
                    >>I buy most of my books from Fictionwise now. I was able the
                    >>pre-order both Full Circle and Treason(new New Frontier book) about a week ago.
                    >>
                    >>Mary Jane
                    >
                    >Treason is currently only available in PDF and eReader. Both awful
                    formats.

                    >Jon

                    Casting Dreamsnake: Help create the ideal cast at http://blog. bookviewcafe. com/2009/ 04/12/casting- dreamsnake/
                    Book View Cafe: http://www.bookviewcafe.com/
                    Home Page: http://www.vondanmcintyre.com/

                  • Heidi Maier
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 16, 2009
                      Vonda,

                      I rarely buy new Star Trek books in print anymore. In Australia, the last
                      couple of new releases have been AU$21.95 (US $15.82 approx right now)

                      I have bought a couple of Ebooks in the Microsoft reader format for my
                      windows pda. They were US $5.19 and $4.54 (approx $7.21 and $6.31 AU), so
                      money wise these are the better buy for me now and in the future. I have
                      seen over the years that Trek books are getting pricier and the amount of
                      books in the store is getting lower. (particularily Borders which used to
                      have a huge range compared to other stores).

                      Heidi
                      Sydney Australia

                      > Some of my ST books are available in electronic format. (The
                      > publisher doesn't have to tell me about any of these, so of
                      > course they don't; sometimes I can dig them up but mostly I
                      > only encounter electronic versions when my nose gets rubbed
                      > in pirated copies, which I can't do anything about because I
                      > don't own the copyright.)
                      >
                      > What formats would you like to see ebooks in? I'm collecting
                      > information on the subject. (Examples of ebooks I've created
                      > can be found at http://vondanmcintyre.com/Index-Fiction.html
                      > -- I'd be glad of feedback.)
                      >
                      > Thanks in advance,
                      >
                      > Vonda
                      >
                      > On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 08:19:40 -0400, yahoo42@...
                      > wrote:
                      >
                      >>At 11:24 PM 4/8/2009, you wrote:
                      >>>I buy most of my books from Fictionwise now. I was able the
                      >>>pre-order both Full Circle and Treason(new New Frontier book) about a
                      >>>week ago.
                      >>>
                      >>>Mary Jane
                      >>
                      >>Treason is currently only available in PDF and eReader. Both awful
                      > formats.
                      >>
                      >>Jon

                      > --
                      > Casting Dreamsnake: Help create the ideal cast at
                      > http://blog.bookviewcafe.com/2009/04/12/casting-dreamsnake/
                      > Book View Cafe: http://www.bookviewcafe.com/
                      > Home Page: http://www.vondanmcintyre.com/

                      14:52:00
                    • Rob Shimer
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 16, 2009
                        I was only joking Ma'am. I did mean any offense.

                      • trevthurlow
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 16, 2009
                          Personally I still buy the regular "dead-tree" versions of the books, since I find that those are easier to carry around, plus if I go anywhere near a place with a lot of magnetic interference, I don't have to worry about the book being erased.

                          Plus, considering that my library of Trek books is so large, it would be very costly to rebuy the books in electronic format. So as I said before I just pick up the new books in the regular format. Even when the SCE series was being published I waited till the print editions came out.

                          Trevor

                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 16, 2009
                            From: "trevthurlow" <tomswift2002@...>

                            > Personally I still buy the regular "dead-tree" versions of the books,
                            > since I find that those are easier to carry around, plus if I go
                            > anywhere near a place with a lot of magnetic interference, I don't
                            > have to worry about the book being erased.

                            I'm a dead-tree-version reader too. I even (gasp!) still read the daily
                            newspaper in inky version -- though it's getting smaller & smaller &
                            becoming a "see the web for the story" sort of thing....but it's taking
                            me less time since I rarely "go to the web" to see the rest of the
                            stories! -- leaving me more time to catch up/make headway on all the ST
                            books. :-)

                            > Plus, considering that my library of Trek books is so large, it would
                            > be very costly to rebuy the books in electronic format. So as I said
                            > before I just pick up the new books in the regular format. Even when
                            > the SCE series was being published I waited till the print editions
                            > came out.

                            The only thing I don't like about the print version of the newer SCE
                            books is that they are harder to hold & don't fit in my purse.

                            I am also catching up on *making* my collection of ST books as I see
                            references & recommendations (on Amazon) & the stories look interesting.
                            I didn't take up ST books until maybe Y2k so there's a lot of catching
                            up to do even ignoring the story lines I'm (currently, anyway) not
                            interested in (Mirror Universe, Section 31).

                            I will have *plenty* to read when I get to the OFH or the 'net goes
                            down!
                            bj
                          • Vonda N. McIntyre
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 16, 2009
                              Yes, that was perfectly clear.

                              On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 13:27:52 -0000, "Rob Shimer"
                              <robshimer@...> wrote:

                              >I was only joking Ma'am. I did mean any offense.

                              --
                              Casting Dreamsnake: Help create the ideal cast at http://blog.bookviewcafe.com/2009/04/12/casting-dreamsnake/
                              Book View Cafe: http://www.bookviewcafe.com/
                              Home Page: http://www.vondanmcintyre.com/
                            • David Fernau
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 16, 2009
                                I'm about to sell my old laptop... the money is almost certainly going
                                for a Kindle... especially now that I see that it will also play Audible
                                audiobooks, of which I already have a large library. :)

                              • prim88@comcast.net
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 12, 2010
                                  Could someone please repost the addy for the new Simon Says Star Trek website? Thanks you, Bob

                                • Trevor
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 12, 2010
                                    You might want to look on the back of the actual books for it, but S&S discontinued the 'Star Trek' only part of their site a while ago, so everything's under their Scifi banner:

                                    http://sci-fi.simonandschuster.com/

                                    Trevor

                                    --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, prim88@... wrote:

                                    > Could someone please repost the addy for the new Simon Says Star Trek website? Thanks you, Bob

                                  • msferengi
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 12, 2010
                                      Try startrekbooks.com

                                      Jackie

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 13, 2010
                                        Hi, Jackie, I'm back. Been away for abt a month as Library was undergoing Expansion & renovation. Spent abt a month in 1 room of my old High School's Library(felt strange being on campus & not having to do Alumni stuff or go to the classes I used to have in that Bldg @different times over 3 Yrs.(in my day Soph. - Sr. were @ Maine Central Institute & frosh were @ Warsaw Jr. High, now called Warsaw Middle School). . we have 1 new patron puter w/ rumor of 5 more for a total of 10 puters.

                                          Got so bored trying to find stuff to read that I had to bribe a friend of mine w/ a Poppa John's Pizza to take me to the book store in waterville where I picked up 8 ST novels by various authors inc. our own Mr. KRAD, Mr. Mack & others. ! of them was a mirror universe novel (all hail Emerpor Spock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Seems that our Mr. Spock had a few experiences that Emerpor Spock avoided.  Hope to get to Wtvl or Bangor ( now that I'm a member of AARP i get a discount @ Borders, tain't much, but a penny saved is a penny earned(Dr. Ben Franklin, Poor Richards Almanac).

                                        Got to run, Just wanted to wave a slightly frozen(17*F @ 10:00 AM ET) hand @ U.

                                        See Ya!!!
                                        Don H.

                                        > Could someone please repost the addy for the new Simon Says Star Trek website? Thanks you, Bob

                                      • BEVERLY HALL
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jan 13, 2010
                                          welcome back Don!  waiting for the Mirror Universe book from Amazon - I am looking forward to seeing how that all goes for Emperor Spock. has a nice ring to it but I'm sure the title says it all!