Re: [Star Trek Books] Star Trek New Frontier #12 Being Human

  • menes@gothboy.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 11, 2009
      There's yet to be a New Frontier volume that I didn't enjoy to some degree,
      and I've read them all. Though I do think they lose some of their impact
      when they start leaping ahead in time. Hopefully the DS9 series will never
      do this.

      Bald Jason

      #12 "Being Human", after having re-read "Worf's First Adventure" and
      wondering what was up with Mark McHenry.

      So far I must say that it is interesting how Peter David has taken parts
      from the TOS episodes "Who Mourns For Adonais?" and "Turnabout Intruder" and
      he makes those episodes be related to McHenry's family's past.

      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 11, 2009
        If you've read some of the previous New Frontier books then you will know that McHenry has some unique talents.  All will be made clear by the time you finish "Being Human".

        If you want to refresh your memory on McHenry between the Academy and "Being Human" you  might want to check out:
        http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Mark_McHenry

        Jackie

        I haven't read many of the New Frontier novels, but I'm currently reading #12 "Being Human", after having re-read "Worf's First Adventure" and wondering what was up with Mark McHenry.

        So far I must say that it is interesting how Peter David has taken parts from the TOS episodes "Who Mourns For Adonais?" and "Turnabout Intruder" and he makes those episodes be related to McHenry's family's past.

      • trevthurlow
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 11, 2009
          Well, with New Frontier I haven't really read them in order. I've read books 1,2, 4, Gateways: Coldwar (but I haven't read the novella from "What Lay Beyond") and that's about it. Although, someday I'd like to track down the 'Double Time' comic.

          But, with New Frontier, I've sort of relegated it to the point in my readings where, once I get past the the majority of the TOS, TNG and DS9 novels that I still have to read, I'll get around to the book-only series. But that doesn't mean that I won't pickup one or two books from the book-only series in the mean time.

          Trevor

        • AKINSSR@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 11, 2009
            I've gotten a lot of enjoyment from the NF series - I have all the novels so far and when I'm in the mood for something lighter I'll choose one.? I'm up to the Gateway entry now.?? Being Human comes just before or just after the Gateway novel.? I'm glad I've read them in order - it's been fun to watch the characters develop. Reesa

            Well, with New Frontier I haven't really read them in order. I've read books 1,2, 4, Gateways: Coldwar (but I haven't read the novella from "What Lay Beyond") and that's about it. Although, someday I'd like to track down the 'Double Time' comic.

            But, with New Frontier, I've sort of relegated it to the point in my readings where, once I get past the the majority of the TOS, TNG and DS9 novels that I still have to read, I'll get around to the book-only series. But that doesn't mean that I won't pickup one or two books from the book-only series in the mean time.

            Trevor

            --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, "writer021a" <writer021@...> wrote:

            > Personally, I've kinda lost my enthusiasm for New Frontier, because I think Peter David starting trying too much to make sequels to TOS eps, rather than new and original material. The next two books after Being Human rather illustrate this.
            >
            > Camren T. Burton
            > writer021@...

          • BEVERLY HALL
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 12, 2009
              I've only read NF 1-4 and prefer to read a series in order when possible exactly because it feels like you're journeying with them and getting to know them like friends.  The thing about characters you think you don't like is you can like care about them once you know them more - I've decided I quite Like Eppy Shelby but she was a prettty unsympathetic character on TNG.  Also reading the Serpent Among the Ruins and am finding Cp't J Harriman pretty  compelling - he seems more accessible - more like someone carry around the weight of the world should be.  Also proves one mistake doesn't your starfleet career utterly ruin!  Nice to know people get second/more chances in the future!

              I've gotten a lot of enjoyment from the NF series - I have all the novels so far and when I'm in the mood for something lighter I'll choose one.? I'm up to the Gateway entry now.?? Being Human comes just before or just after the Gateway novel.? I'm glad I've read them in order - it's been fun to watch the characters develop. Reesa

              Well, with New Frontier I haven't really read them in order. I've read books 1,2, 4, Gateways: Coldwar (but I haven't read the novella from "What Lay Beyond") and that's about it. Although, someday I'd like to track down the 'Double Time' comic.

              But, with New Frontier, I've sort of relegated it to the point in my readings where, once I get past the the majority of the TOS, TNG and DS9 novels that I still have to read, I'll get around to the book-only series. But that doesn't mean that I won't pickup one or two books from the book-only series in the mean time.

              Trevor

              --- In startrekbooks@ yahoogroups. com, "writer021a" <writer021@. ..> wrote:

              > Personally, I've kinda lost my enthusiasm for New Frontier, because I think Peter David starting trying too much to make sequels to TOS eps, rather than new and original material. The next two books after Being Human rather illustrate this.
              >
              > Camren T. Burton
              > writer021@.. .

            • Rob Shimer
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 12, 2009
                I've been reading them since they came out. Ihave lost the fever(?) for them since the book he jumped ahead in. I don't like the way a few characters went.
                --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, AKINSSR@... wrote:

                > I've gotten a lot of enjoyment from the NF series - I have all the novels so far and when I'm in the mood for something lighter I'll choose one.? I'm up to the Gateway entry now.?? Being Human comes just before or just after the Gateway novel.? I'm glad I've read them in order - it's been fun to watch the characters develop. Reesa

              • writer021a
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 12, 2009
                  --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Shimer" <robshimer@...> wrote:

                  > I've been reading them since they came out. Ihave lost the fever(?) for them since the book he jumped ahead in. I don't like the way a few characters went.

                  Precisely, Rob Shimer! I hated Lefler marrying Si Cwan, McHenry's ancestry (grasping at straws), what happened with Morgan was silly, and I didn't like the crew being split off onto two ships, to say nothing of what happened to Soleta.

                  Camren T. Burton
                  writer021@...
                • menes@gothboy.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 12, 2009
                    I understand the loss of the 'fever' for the New Frontier once the series
                    jumped ahead in time, but for me, it wasn't what happened to the characters
                    so much as not being allowed to travel with them to that point in their
                    lives. I didn't find any of their new situations unbelieveable or more
                    outlandish than anything that had come before...but there was something
                    jarring with just arriving to that point after the previous books did such a
                    good job of devloping things as they went along. It wasn't terrible. It
                    just wasn't as satisfying.

                    Bald Jason

                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 12, 2009
                      I know that I've heard a few people who have read the series all the way through also say how much they didn't like Peter David writing a few adventures for the crew in the comic book universe, since comic books are not as readily available as the regular books.

                      Sure there are a lot of Comic Book stores in the big cities, but when you live in a small town where you might have only one comic store at most, or the only store(s) to depend on are department stores or bookstore chains, then a lot of times those stores only stock the hot sellers like "Batman", "Superman", "X-Men" and "Spider-Man", and they don't stock the more "exclusive" titles.

                      Trevor

                    • menes@gothboy.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 12, 2009
                        I enjoyed the comic forays of the New Frontier characters. I tracked them
                        down online. ;-0)

                        Bald Jason

                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 13, 2009
                          I suffer the same problem with my comic jones.  20 year old son too embarrased to go to store near his community college - closest comic store 50 miles away . where oh where did we go wrong?

                          I know that I've heard a few people who have read the series all the way through also say how much they didn't like Peter David writing a few adventures for the crew in the comic book universe, since comic books are not as readily available as the regular books.

                          Sure there are a lot of Comic Book stores in the big cities, but when you live in a small town where you might have only one comic store at most, or the only store(s) to depend on are department stores or bookstore chains, then a lot of times those stores only stock the hot sellers like "Batman", "Superman", "X-Men" and "Spider-Man" , and they don't stock the more "exclusive" titles.

                          Trevor

                          --- In startrekbooks@ yahoogroups. com, <menes@...> wrote:

                          > I understand the loss of the 'fever' for the New Frontier once the series
                          > jumped ahead in time, but for me, it wasn't what happened to the characters
                          > so much as not being allowed to travel with them to that point in their
                          > lives. I didn't find any of their new situations unbelieveable or more
                          > outlandish than anything that had come before...but there was something
                          > jarring with just arriving to that point after the previous books did such a
                          > good job of devloping things as they went along. It wasn't terrible. It
                          > just wasn't as satisfying.
                          >
                          > Bald Jason

                        • writer021a
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 13, 2009
                            --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, BEVERLY HALL <beverlylhall@...> wrote:

                            > I suffer the same problem with my comic jones.  20 year old son too embarrased to go to store near his community college - closest comic store 50 miles away . where oh where did we go wrong?

                            Me, I don't care what format a story is told in, so long as the story itself is a good one! ;-)

                            Camren T. Burton
                            writer021@...
                          • BEVERLY HALL
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 13, 2009
                              does Peter David the comic too? he also writes for Marvel - he's doing X-Factor - the only X-title worth reading and it does suffer from a little uneveness - and I think young justice and also worked on she-hulk.

                              I'm a lit mafor and I think comics are a valid lit medium. Not to mention fun!

                              writer021@aol. com

                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 13, 2009
                                >does Peter David the comic too?

                                Yes, both of the NEW FRONTIER comics -- the one-shot published by
                                WildStorm in 2000 and the five-issue miniseries published by IDW in
                                2008 -- were written by Peter.

                                www.DeCandido.net
                                kradical.livejournal.com

                                "Quickly -- before we come to our senses!"
                                ---King Julien, MADAGASCAR 2
                              • trevthurlow
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 15, 2009
                                  I just finished "Being Human" today, and I must say that I was a little disappointed in the way the book was written. Considering that the back cover hyped that this would be a book about Mark McHenry and even Zak Kebron, I found that Peter David never really explained that much about Kebron and Kebron's story was just a really small subplot. Also, I found that the McHenry story was also more like a subplot in the book, trying to compete with the other subplot about the new Thallonian Empire being formed, to be the main plot of the book.

                                  I would give the book a rating of 6.0 out 10.

                                  Now then, it may be that Peter David had written the book to have been read in order of publication, but if I recall correct, the story that precedes "Being Human" is the "Cold Wars" story and its novelette, both from the 'Gateways' line, and I didn't find any story arcs from that novel in this novel.

                                  Trevor
                                • menes@gothboy.com
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 15, 2009
                                    I'm often disappointed by what the back of a book promises and on what the
                                    book actually delivers. I actually try to skip reading those blurbs these
                                    days. It sucks to be disappointed like that, but maybe someday you'll be
                                    able to look back on the story and accept it for what it did give you,
                                    rather than what something suggested the story should be.

                                    Bald Jason

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 17, 2009
                                      One of the things I really liked about Peter David's novels was that he was
                                      writing the fantastical TOS-style stories in the more staid and placid TNG
                                      universe. I found that very refreshing. I also love Peter David's humour;
                                      his Classic Trek story 'The Rift' is a great read. When he turns his hand to
                                      a more seriously-toned novel though, he more than proves his mettle in his
                                      Captain's Table entry about Calhoun as XO of the *Grissom.* I forget it's
                                      title, but I think it was *'Once Burned'*. I like his connections to TOS,
                                      but another friend pointed out to me David's tendancy to suck in all
                                      available secondary characters and have them in his stories. While that is
                                      pretty cool if you don't write your own stories, actually writing my own
                                      does mean it'sa wee bit annoying respecting his work as part of your own
                                      'fanon'. Fortunately, I don't write too much in the TNG, though that has
                                      been expanding in recent times.

                                      I haven't read any TNG era regularly novels in a while; I'm only slowly
                                      starting up with that again over the past couple of years. The last NF book
                                      I read was when they SPOILER! lose the Ambassador-class *Excalibur* and I
                                      read that in 2001*.

                                      *Back cover blurbs:* *They are on a par with book covers. Unless the author
                                      has a specific idea in mind for the cover and gets to do it, what other
                                      people come up with is almost invariably lame -- or at least it was for the
                                      early runs of books pre-1990.*

                                      *Andy*

                                      *2009/3/15 <menes@...>

                                      --
                                      http://www.starbase23.net

                                      "A nation trying to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a
                                      bucket and trying to pull himself up by the handles." - Sir Winston
                                      Churchill

                                      The Doctor: �Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink.�
                                      Mickey: �Wot�s that?�
                                      The Doctor: �No idea. Just made it up. Didn�t want to say �Magic Door�.�
                                      - Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)