Re: [Star Trek Books] (Minor to Major Spilers maybe?)Singular Destiny surprise?

    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009
      >My 'gotcha' moment came earlier -- with the mention of Commander
      >Matsui. First name Hideki, I assume?

      I have no idea what you're talking about. *whistles*

      >I loved the 'Gilman' reference later on, too.

      That's actually a long-established character from the STARFLEET CORPS
      OF ENGINEERS series.

      www.DeCandido.net
      kradical.livejournal.com

      "We have two Scottish Terriers, because if you drink enough Johnny
      Walker products, they just go ahead and send you the dogs."
      ---Ron White
    • Kathy Agel
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 2, 2009

        > >My 'gotcha' moment came earlier -- with the mention of Commander
        > Matsui. First name Hideki, I assume?
        >
        >I have no idea what you're talking about. *whistles*

        Suuuuure you don't....

        > >I loved the 'Gilman' reference later on, too.
        >
        >That's actually a long-established character from the STARFLEET
        >CORPS OF ENGINEERS series.

        I've wanted to read those, but I don't do e-books. I'll need to track
        doen the dead-tree versions. But can i assume I'm right about the
        genesis of the name?
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 2, 2009
          >I've wanted to read those, but I don't do e-books. I'll need to track
          >doen the dead-tree versions. But can i assume I'm right about the
          >genesis of the name?

          Yup.

          And there are 11 books out collecting the SCE stories:

          In mass market under the "Star Trek: S.C.E." banner:
          HAVE TECH, WILL TRAVEL
          MIRACLE WORKERS
          SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED
          NO SURRENDER
          FOUNDATIONS
          WILDFIRE
          BREAKDOWNS

          In trade paperback under the "Star Trek: Corps of Engineers" banner:
          AFTERMATH
          GRAND DESIGNS
          CREATIVE COUPLINGS
          WOUNDS

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 2, 2009
            From: "Kathy Agel" <badkarma.one@...>

            >> >My 'gotcha' moment came earlier -- with the mention of Commander
            >> Matsui. First name Hideki, I assume?
            >>
            >>I have no idea what you're talking about. *whistles*
            >
            > Suuuuure you don't....
            >
            >> >I loved the 'Gilman' reference later on, too.
            >>
            >>That's actually a long-established character from the STARFLEET
            >>CORPS OF ENGINEERS series.

            "Gilman" doesn't ring a bell. Where in SCE is it?

            > I've wanted to read those, but I don't do e-books. I'll need to track
            > doen the dead-tree versions. But can i assume I'm right about the
            > genesis of the name?

            That's one of the piles of AR/TBRA/TBR on my shelves.
            Several of them are "regular size" (but fat) little paperbacks, the
            later ones seem to be trade size. I think they're up to about vol. 11 by
            now, though not all are "numbered".
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 2, 2009
              >"Gilman" doesn't ring a bell. Where in SCE is it?

              Captain David Gold's wife is Rabbi Rachel Gilman. Her family name is
              the same as that of a good frend of both myself and Kathy.

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 2, 2009
                From: "Keith R.A. DeCandido" <krad@...>

                >>"Gilman" doesn't ring a bell. Where in SCE is it?
                >
                > Captain David Gold's wife is Rabbi Rachel Gilman. Her family name is
                > the same as that of a good frend of both myself and Kathy.

                Oh. Thanks.
                The name "Gilman" just hadn't stuck with me. Rachel & Rabbi & Gold's
                wife -- but not the Gilman part. But then, I don't think I know anyone
                named Gilman to help it stick.
                bj
              • Kathy Agel
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 2, 2009

                  >Captain David Gold's wife is Rabbi Rachel Gilman. Her family name is
                  >the same as that of a good frend of both myself and Kathy.

                  Keith, is David Gold Tuckerized, too? Because I was in the wedding of
                  a fan named David Gold (he married a fan named Jeanne Wesilinski 18
                  years ago -- I was her matron of honor, and and I'm the godmother to
                  their daughter). He used to run the Eclecticon video room.
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 2, 2009
                    No, he wasn't named after anyone. It's a coinky-dink.

                    ---KRAD

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 2, 2009
                      >No, he wasn't named after anyone. It's a coinky-dink.
                      I didn't think you guys had crossed paths (though he was running the
                      vid room when you were at Econ -- and I'm pretty sure Jeanne was at
                      my house when you and LAG were over for the X-Files thing waaaaay
                      back when....).
                    • Kathy Agel
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 10, 2009
                        >That's one of the piles of AR/TBRA/TBR on my shelves.
                        >Several of them are "regular size" (but fat)

                        Fat is fine -- I'd much rather spend my money on a nice, long read I
                        can enjoy for more than an hour or so.

                        >little paperbacks, the later ones seem to be trade size. I think
                        >they're up to about vol. 11 by
                        >now, though not all are "numbered".

                        I saved the list Keith posted -- I'll have to go looking for them.
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 10, 2009
                          From: "Kathy Agel" <badkarma.one@...>

                          >>That's one of the piles of AR/TBRA/TBR on my shelves.
                          >>Several of them are "regular size" (but fat)
                          >
                          > Fat is fine -- I'd much rather spend my money on a nice, long read I
                          > can enjoy for more than an hour or so.

                          The only problem I have with fat books is that they're hard to hold open
                          with one hand while I eat with the other. :-)

                          I'm currently about halfway through Destiny #2 but still have some SCE
                          re-reads on the side in a sort of parallel reading universe.
                          bj
                        • Kathy Agel
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 10, 2009
                            >The only problem I have with fat books is that they're hard to hold open
                            >with one hand while I eat with the other. :-)

                            I have that problem to (and it's hard to hold while petting a
                            demanding Basset or Jack Russell, as well), but it's a small price to pay. :)